+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Second Wife Sponsorship after Divorce

HIRA_ADNAN

Jan 12, 2018
Hey guyz.
I have a question regarding spouse sponsorship. My friend husband lives in Canada. He has PR and in October he will apply for passport. He went Canada on sponsorship. His first wife sponsored him after 1.5 year his first wife took divorced by him. After divorce he married to my friend who lives in Pakistan. My Question is after how many years he will able to sponsor my friend? He divorced first wife in February 2017.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
There's no waiting period after marriage to sponsor a spouse, though there is a 5 year waiting period after being sponsored. He can sponsor someone as a PR if he is in Canada when he makes the application. He can sponsor someone from anywhere in the world once he has his citizenship.

He should be prepared to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine.

Last edited:

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
No. There is a restriction for 3 or 5 years for 2nd wife sponsorship
You may want to review the rules of who can or cannot sponsor spouses. Click on the link below and see for yourself.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html

Who can’t become a sponsor
You can’t be a sponsor if you:
  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than five years ago

Your friend's husband cannot sponsor his 2nd wife until 5 years after he landed as PR.

The 3 year restriction is for all sponsors since they cannot sponsor another while their 3 year obligation is still in process as shown below.

You can’t be a sponsor if you:
  • sponsored a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident.

Last edited:

juhi1601

Nov 4, 2021
i am in a similar situation where my husband was sponsored by his ex girlfriend in NZ and they parted ways not long after. I would like to know if there is any other possible way too get sponsorship or an open work visa as 5 years haven't passed since then. we are legally married now

we spoke to one of the immigration consultants, where in she described that i might be able to get a work visa but definitely no sponsorship.
just want to know how true is that ?

Any reply or guidance will be highly appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
i am in a similar situation where my husband was sponsored by his ex girlfriend in NZ and they parted ways not long after. I would like to know if there is any other possible way too get sponsorship or an open work visa as 5 years haven't passed since then. we are legally married now

we spoke to one of the immigration consultants, where in she described that i might be able to get a work visa but definitely no sponsorship.

Well, if he was sponsored in new zealand, it's irrelevant to sponsorship in Canada. But apart from that, no.

Reactions: YVR123

juhi1601

Nov 4, 2021
just to put some more clarity. they both were residing in New Zealand at the time of application and did land in Canada on 2019 Nov. and parted ways in 2020. Now he is married to me.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Do you mean he gets his PR in Canada by sponsorship of his ex girlfriend (I assume common law spouse) whose from New Zealand but is a Canadian or PR of Canada?

The 5 years rule applies that way.

If the sponsorship is about getting PR in NZ, then it's not relevant to Canadian immigration.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Your post is a bit confusing. It sounds like he was sponsored to NZ and not to Canada. Was he sponsored to Canada?

Assuming the answer is yes, there is no open work permit you qualify for at this time based on being married to him. You will only qualify AFTER the five years have passed AND you have submitted the spousal sponsorship application. Ditch the immigration consultant who told you this was possible. She is clearly incompetent.

Your options are as follows:
1) Get a closed work permit based on a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada.
2) Look into the IEC / working holiday visa program to see if you might qualify for an open work permit through that.
3) If your current employer has operations in Canada, see if you qualify to be transferred here through an ICT and if your employer is willing to go through the process.
4) Come on a study permit and study in Canada full time as an international student (expensive option)
5) Qualify to immigrate on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
just to put some more clarity. they both were residing in New Zealand at the time of application and did land in Canada on 2019 Nov. and parted ways in 2020. Now he is married to me.
So who sponsor whom?

His ex common law sponsored him or he sponsored his ex common law partner?

Who is the first wife? Did he got a divorce? Was that a girl friend of ex-wife. This is still confusing.

juhi1601

Nov 4, 2021
So who sponsor whom?

His ex common law sponsored him or he sponsored his ex common law partner?
His Ex common law sponsored him as they both were residing in New Zealand at that time and both planned to migrate to Canada because of limited work opportunities in NZ.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
His Ex common law sponsored him as they both were residing in New Zealand at that time and both planned to migrate to Canada because of limited work opportunities in NZ.
It's still not clear. You need to be very specific in your answers since this may change the outcome. You say both planned to migrate to Canada which would indicate she wasn't Canadian at the time they applied.

Which of these two scenarios is it?

Was she already Canadian and she sponsored him for PR through spousal sponsorship?

OR

Did they immigrate to Canada together through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry and she was the primary applicant?

juhi1601

Nov 4, 2021
Your post is a bit confusing. It sounds like he was sponsored to NZ and not to Canada. Was he sponsored to Canada?

Assuming the answer is yes, there is no open work permit you qualify for at this time based on being married to him. You will only qualify AFTER the five years have passed AND you have submitted the spousal sponsorship application. Ditch the immigration consultant who told you this was possible. She is clearly incompetent.

Your options are as follows:
1) Get a closed work permit based on a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer in Canada.
2) Look into the IEC / working holiday visa program to see if you might qualify for an open work permit through that.
3) If your current employer has operations in Canada, see if you qualify to be transferred here through an ICT and if your employer is willing to go through the process.
4) Come on a study permit and study in Canada full time as an international student (expensive option)
5) Qualify to immigrate on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Just to put more clarity here: My husband and his ex girlfriend planned to migrate to canada because of limited work opportunities in New Zealand and both applied for canadian residence under which my husband was sponsored. (hope this helps)