+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS Stream Vs General Stream

Jaimal

Mar 11, 2014
Hi All,

My brother is applying for VIsa to Canada from India. There is lot of buzz about how SDS stream is better than general considering the IELTs band requirement is high and it is limited to only 4 countries(Include India). Here is a twist. He has B-Tech in Mechanical. IELTS L7 S6 W6 R6. I was considering to apply through SDS stream but an agent told me due to his low percentage in degree(53 %) His chances of visa are more in general as compared to SDS. Is that true?

Thanks,
Jaimal

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi All,

My brother is applying for VIsa to Canada from India. There is lot of buzz about how SDS stream is better than general considering the IELTs band requirement is high and it is limited to only 4 countries(Include India). Here is a twist. He has B-Tech in Mechanical. IELTS L7 S6 W6 R6. I was considering to apply through SDS stream but an agent told me due to his low percentage in degree(53 %) His chances of visa are more in general as compared to SDS. Is that true?

Thanks,
Jaimal
Completely false. SDS stream does not guarantee that you will get a visa. What SDS does is makes the processing fast and reduces the documentation required. This happens because they set a standard, regarding English ability, and proof that you have funds for your stay by making you pay for a GIC of 10,000 CAD, and ensuring that you have paid upfront tuition fees for a year.

If you can justify the reason for low marks, and how that will not hinder his studies in Canada, then you can apply for SDS stream or general stream. If he is going to get rejected for his marks, it is going to be the same in SDS or general.

Academic performance is not taken into account when deciding eligibility for SDS. SDS will now be processed in 20 calender days from biometric submission. Whereas general processing can take upto 60 working days. If he qualifys for it, then why not go for it, it does not cost more.

In fact, you can do SDS online without your consultant very easily, as long as you have scanned copies of your documents and a card to make the payment.

Reactions: gupt07ash

gupt07ash

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks,
Jaimal
Apply under SDS. That agent of yours is a nutjob

altair1995

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Completely false. SDS stream does not guarantee that you will get a visa. What SDS does is makes the processing fast and reduces the documentation required. This happens because they set a standard, regarding English ability, and proof that you have funds for your stay by making you pay for a GIC of 10,000 CAD, and ensuring that you have paid upfront tuition fees for a year.

If you can justify the reason for low marks, and how that will not hinder his studies in Canada, then you can apply for SDS stream or general stream. If he is going to get rejected for his marks, it is going to be the same in SDS or general.

Academic performance is not taken into account when deciding eligibility for SDS. SDS will now be processed in 20 calender days from biometric submission. Whereas general processing can take upto 60 working days. If he qualifys for it, then why not go for it, it does not cost more.

In fact, you can do SDS online without your consultant very easily, as long as you have scanned copies of your documents and a card to make the payment.
Hey,
How did you come to the conclusion that general processing can take up to sixty working days? Has CIC mentioned it anywhere or is it based upon anecdotal evidence?

I see 4 weeks when checking the processing time for study permit applications from India. Not sure, if that is for SDS only.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hey,
How did you come to the conclusion that general processing can take up to sixty working days? Has CIC mentioned it anywhere or is it based upon anecdotal evidence?

I see 4 weeks when checking the processing time for study permit applications from India. Not sure, if that is for SDS only.
Service guarantee for IRCC is 60 days, that is the maximum that it should take. Average processing time in India is currently 4 weeks.

You can see the service standard here
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/service-declaration/service-standards.html#studypermit

Average differs from maximum. I mentioned that it can take up to 60 days which is as per their service standards. The average is 4 weeks, but it can be longer. You can only raise a complaint when it exceeds their service standards,

stressedz

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019

hello selvakk,i submitted my paper application(general) on march 19 for may intake then deferred my intake to september. 4 months gone still no response from vo, tried to contact them using mail still no response, what should i do man? 4 months is very long time i completely lost my patience.

VaishOptimistic

Jun 19, 2019
No 20 days or 60 days... It's all nonsense....... Sds or general if u have great luck then u will get ur visa soon or u will need hold ur breath and wait for months until u lose 10 to 20kg of ur weight being frustrated .... The wait time they have mentioned is in very much general standards.... They r not bound to reply exactly within that time and there r many heree waiting from months being helpeless including me for a damn approval :(

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
hello selvakk,i submitted my paper application(general) on march 19 for may intake then deferred my intake to september. 4 months gone still no response from vo, tried to contact them using mail still no response, what should i do man? 4 months is very long time i completely lost my patience.
Only option is to send a webform to the visa office that is processing your application. Which country are you applying from ?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Bangladesh, no reply from ircc.
Current processing times are 9 weeks, and your application would have been going for 16 weeks. Unfortunately, nothing much you can do, other than sending enquiries. You could try asking for a CAIPS note, when you request one an officer has to go through your file before the notes are sent. This could bring attention to your file.

stressedz

Star Member
Jan 12, 2019
Current processing times are 9 weeks, and your application would have been going for 16 weeks. Unfortunately, nothing much you can do, other than sending enquiries. You could try asking for a CAIPS note, when you request one an officer has to go through your file before the notes are sent. This could bring attention to your file.
already tried direct email to the high commission couple of times but i only got automatic reply. so according to you i should send a web form right?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
already tried direct email to the high commission couple of times but i only got automatic reply. so according to you i should send a web form right?
Yes, you haven't sent a webform before? If webform does not work, then you will have to get a CAIPS note for the reason I mentioned before.

Reactions: stressedz

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Hi, I've applied via SDS 3x times but have always been refused. Reasons were purpose of visit, and proposed studies were not reasonable. :(

roeldsouza

Star Member
Dec 9, 2019
Hi, I've applied via SDS 3x times but have always been refused. Reasons were purpose of visit, and proposed studies were not reasonable. :(
Damn, I too have been rejected twice already with the SDS category.
I have just done my paper submission under general last week, hoping for something different this time.
Are you applying again?