+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scarborough -DM-Oath

Sasha1989

Mar 20, 2018
Hello everyone
I’ve noticed that Scarborough office is holding 7 ceremonies this month April. Is it normal number or more that usual? I’m looking for some hope for a faster process :)
Thx.

umairmalik

Nov 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
17-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-07-2012
Passport Req..
17-07-2012
Hello everyone. Just joined this thread and was reading on some of the post. I am about to apply for my citizenship, almost ready with the forms and all. I have a question about English language course/certificate. I didn’t do any language courses so I don’t have anything to attach with my application other than my study documents and the certification that I did here in Canada. I called immigration helpline and they said attach all your work documents (job letter) study documents and any work related courses that I have completed here in Canada.

I am working in a bank from last 3 and a half years and I did my mutual fund course plus now I’m doing my retirement planning course.

My question is that anyone else has submitted their application without the English language course. And if yes did they had any issues later on? Coz after talking to me on the phone the rep said that I don’t need English language course.

Secondly if I submit my application in a week how long I will have to wait until I get the citizenship.

I will appreciate all kind of replies. By no means I will consider whatever information I get here to be 100% correct but you replies will def help me to choose the right path. Thank you in advance and good luck to all you folks waiting out there!

Poshy

Star Member
Feb 24, 2018
Hi,
I’ve heard of many applications being returned due to insufficient proof of English proficiency.
Unless you have studied in Canada, or have an undergraduate degree from the US, you’d be well advised to do the English proficiency exam prescribed on the CIC website.its a few hundred dollars, and very easy if you are proficient in English. There are two exams that they accept, both mentioned on their website. I’d advise it, rather then have your file returned.
Just my thoughts

Hanimani

Mar 30, 2018
Hi friends,
I passed the test on Jan 28th 2018 but the statues is still in process ☹ !!! Is it common!!! How long does it usually take for the statues to be changed to DM. Is there any one else hear with the same issue?

Last edited:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi friends,
I passed the test on Jan 28th 2018 but the statues is still in process ☹ !!! Is it common!!! How long does it usually take for the statues to be changed to DM. Is there any one else hear with the same issue?
Could be that your background checks are still underway, what did the officer tell you in the Interview?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hello everyone. Just joined this thread and was reading on some of the post. I am about to apply for my citizenship, almost ready with the forms and all. I have a question about English language course/certificate. I didn’t do any language courses so I don’t have anything to attach with my application other than my study documents and the certification that I did here in Canada. I called immigration helpline and they said attach all your work documents (job letter) study documents and any work related courses that I have completed here in Canada.

I am working in a bank from last 3 and a half years and I did my mutual fund course plus now I’m doing my retirement planning course.

My question is that anyone else has submitted their application without the English language course. And if yes did they had any issues later on? Coz after talking to me on the phone the rep said that I don’t need English language course.

Secondly if I submit my application in a week how long I will have to wait until I get the citizenship.

I will appreciate all kind of replies. By no means I will consider whatever information I get here to be 100% correct but you replies will def help me to choose the right path. Thank you in advance and good luck to all you folks waiting out there!
- If you have a University Degree from any other country where the medium of instruction was English, you can use it as a proof of English language proficiency as long as your university certificate clearly says the studies where in English.
- If you had obtained your PR via FSW, you probably would have done IELTS in the past, a copy of that can be used in your Citizenship application.
- If you don't have any of what i mentioned above, you should consider sitting for CELPIP or IELTS. CELPIP is cheaper and easier by the way.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018

In the application guide section on language proof there seems to only be the option to get a waiver for proof of language knowledge if you have a disability that prevents you from demonstrating your language ability. The instructions for IRCC staff for a language hearing are for cases where someone failed to show sufficient language knowledge during their interview despite having provided the necessary evidence with their application (which implies that such a hearing does not remove the need to provide the necessary proof).

As others have pointed out, you can use a diploma, degree, or transcript (from high school or post-secondary) as long as the program was in English or French. You mentioned "study documents" in your post, so what are those? Professional training is not on the list of approved documents, so there is a chance they will not accept those (If those classes are run by a recognized institution of higher learning -- a college or university -- then they likely will be accepted).

You can also take a government-funded language class. Here they are free; there may be a nominal cost in your province. You'd need to take a placement test (the results of those do not count as proof of language knowledge) and then take a one semester class. So it's not a fast process, but it's low cost. If your English is beyond what the classes offer you may not be allowed to take the class. Or you may be extremely bored for a few hours every week, for three months.

You can also write a test, if you don't have any other proof of your language knowledge. It can be any of IELTS (general), CELPIP-G, or CELPIP-General LS. That last one is the cheapest one, because it only tests listening and speaking. Tests tend to be somewhere between $180 and $350. The wide availability of these tests makes it very unlikely that IRCC would offer a waiver for your proof of language knowledge (for any reason other than disability), as it is not an onerous requirement.

You can send in your application and include, say, only professional development certificates as your proof of language knowledge. (If you don't send any proof your application will be returned). When you send in your application a completeness check is done. If the reviewer at that time notices you've not provided the expected proof, your application would be returned. You would then need to take a test and resubmit your application, with that new proof. This would delay your application by (twice) the time it takes for the check to be done (usually this takes anywhere from between 2 weeks and 4 months) and then the time for you do take the test and get the results (about a month).

If the reviewer doesn't notice, your application would be sent for further processing. The citizenship officer who then receives your file will review your documents (and more) in detail. They may accept your non-standard proof, or they may refuse it. If the latter happens you would be sent a letter asking for formal proof, at which point you'd need to take the test and send the results. The delay here is likely going to be about a month.

Of course, if they do accept your non-standard proof you'd have saved the cost of testing (or the slog of taking the language course). So that's the trade-off for you to make, if you don't have one of the "standard" forms of proof of language knowledge.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
She didn’t say anything special. Just routine notification that the process may takes about 12 months from the time you applyed.
I see, anyway if there was anything else that they required (other then the background check), the officer would have asked you for additional docs. or so. So at least from your side nothing is needed at this time, you will get DM once the background checks complete, it varies from person to person so difficult to guess/estimate a timeline but nevertheless nothing to worry about. Sit back and relax, DM and Oath will come when its time.

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
My hubby and I passed the test on Feb 27, 2018 and waiting impatiently for the Oath ceremony invitation. DM was made the same day as the test. Why is Scarborough sooooo slow? Did anyone tried to call CIC and ask is moving the file to other location possible to speed up the invite? Or did anyone tried to move their file from Scarborough?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
My hubby and I passed the test on Feb 27, 2018 and waiting impatiently for the Oath ceremony invitation. DM was made the same day as the test. Why is Scarborough sooooo slow? Did anyone tried to call CIC and ask is moving the file to other location possible to speed up the invite? Or did anyone tried to move their file from Scarborough?
I don't think calling IRCC would make a difference at this point...you will likely get the standard response that you should expect 12 months processing.
If you follow the previous posts in this thread here there's a number of August and July 2017 applicants still waiting for Oath.

Last edited:

Abu Hassaan

Champion Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With the support of evidence, my request for urgent processing (urgent Oath) at the time of interview has been accepted. We shall be taking Oath at Scarborough on April 28.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
With the support of evidence, my request for urgent processing (urgent Oath) at the time of interview has been accepted. We shall be taking Oath at Scarborough on April 28.
Congrats!!! When did you get Oath invite.