+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Has anyone recently submitted his/her Quality Assurance Exercise (and all the required supporting documents) and got an approval?

I am wondering usually how many weeks/months would it take to get a news from Immigration Canada. I know that it depends on the application but still curious about it.

Thank you in advance
I heard only couple of people got approval recently. one @ 1 month and another @ 3 weeks. I submitted my RQ docs on Feb 01. still no news. its 3 weeks now.

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Hello,
I have a question... I start my application in September, I get the RQ in December and sent the documentation the 10 February. My RP will expire the end of June, Do you think I have to apply for a renewal of the RP? Is it mandatory since I didn't get the nationality? Is it correct?
Thank you in advice for your answer.
My RP already expired on 11th Feb 2018. we don't need to renew RP unless if we travel to other countries.

Reactions: Fiore2017

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Another victim of PPQ - QAE, from a new thread:

Hi all,
I was randomly selected for this exercise. (Quality Assurance Exercise)

My situation is I have six addresses filed on my application since I keep moving although it is only within all same town and province near my workplace. I don't have a rental lease agreement for the five addresses since they were only of a verbal agreement/contract of staying on their place and were based on mutual trust. Will there be a problem if I can only provide one rental lease agreement?

Will there be also a problem if I just let it be if I made an honest mistake of typing lets say for example 108721 instead of 108725 199 street on my past address because I can't really remember the complete address and have relied only on what I can remember?

Thank you very much in advance for your help. God Bless.
Minor mistakes, particularly typographical errors, are rarely a problem unless the difference has a big impact (differences in dates can have a big impact for example). That said, best to get it right, and to the extent it might not be right, better to acknowledge any approximations, estimates, or potential errors. Be brief. Stick to straight facts. On a separate supplemental page reference address history and state: "Apartment number in address for xx date to yy date is approximate." Of course this will draw some attention, potentially negative attention. It is, after all, an admission you have not kept good records and otherwise you are not a reliable reporter of past facts. That, however, is a lot, lot LESS negative than IRCC checking the address stated and determining it is unlikely you lived at that address when you stated you did, and you trying to then explain it was close to that address and just a mistake. The latter sounds like making excuses AT BEST.

If possible, perhaps obtain letters from former landlords or persons you were subletting from or whoever allowed you to reside at the respective address.

Please let the forum know about how things go.

Reactions: sophon

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some further, as it goes, observations:

Will be interesting to see if DM follows right after passing the test/interview, or if there's some delay because of the QAE.
This is of course the question of import for the individual applicant. And of course the answer will depend in part, or entirely, on generally the same criteria other applicants are evaluated by . . . meaning that the outcome will be tied to whether the facts and circumstances readily support IRCC concluding the applicant is qualified or whether there are questions or concerns identified and which will need to be addressed.

The timing of these early reports suggests, as best I can discern, that the PPQ - QAE itself does not divert the application into a separate queue from those being routinely processed. This would be a huge difference in how the OB- 407 pre-test RQ process worked. And on its face would almost certainly be more equitable.

This does not, however, reveal whether scheduling for the test and interview is conditioned on a review of the application AND PPQ submission, or if the application is scheduled for the test and interview due to its spot in the queue and the application and PPQ submission are examined and assessed attendant the processing agent's preparation for the interview . . . indeed, we do NOT know if in general applicants are scheduled for the interview based on spot in the routine queue, prior to local office substantively assessing the application, or if the preparation for interview step precedes scheduling the interview with scheduling of the interview depending on the outcome of that review.

This could vary from local office to local office. Either as to routinely processed applications or PPQ'd applicants.

That is, procedurally, is IRCC local office screening/assessment done before the interview is scheduled, or is the interview scheduled and the screening done attendant preparation for the interview in conjunction with the interview itself? This would determine if some see their timeline to the test/interview taking significantly longer than others, due to some being cleared to stay in a relatively routine processing track while others are diverted into a separate track involving more scrutiny, perhaps collateral inquiries to verify information.

Obviously, such a diversion is possible attendant the interview itself, as it is for all routine applicants (if, for example, discrepancies between passport stamps and travel history are identified during the interview, or if the applicant's responses raise questions or concerns, and so on). But it would be interesting to know how much an applicant's case is substantively examined (if much at all) prior to even being scheduled for the interview.

This might fall into the category of academic distinctions (with which so many discussions in the forum seem bogged down these days), a matter of curiosity more than useful information. But if we can discern at which stage the response to PPQ is actually examined and evaluated, that should shed some light on what those subject to the PPQ - QAE can reasonably anticipate regarding timelines, at least in terms of how long to the test and interview (roughly, usually, some times, most times, as well as possible variations).

In this context, it is worth noting that recently reported additional victims (that is, "recipients" of the PPQ - QAE) continue to evidence circumstances at the least hinting risk indicator criteria despite the explicit statement in IRCC correspondence that the PPQ - QAE is random . . . thus leaving open the question, still, to what extent it actually is random. The more random it is, the less anxious PPQ'd applicants should be. And the converse if risk-indicator criteria are employed, noting however that broad risk indicator criteria could be employed to either narrow the group from which PPQ'd recipients are randomly selected, or applicants might be randomly selected to be screened for risk indicators which will determine who is issued PPQ'd, or some other variation of this. For now, it just seems a bit telling that many of those reporting PPQ tend to involve what, I'd guess, is a disproportionate (compared to the majority of reporting applicants generally) correlation to factors like a less stable address or work history.

Still a lot that is unknown. Still a lot to learn.

Every report of what is happening to those who were issued the PPQ-QAE, no matter how minute, helps to paint the picture.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
And still another forum participant who has been swept into the "exercise:"

Hi, guys

I need help! I'm so upset:(

I delivered my app on Oct. 18/2017, AOR is on Nov. 24/2017, IP is on Dec. 5/2018, Location is Mississauga. I just recieved the mail from IRCC that I was selected to Quality Assurance Program. Is it a big trouble? And I must provid Province Personal Health Claims Summary. In my eligibility period I lived in BC and ON, so how to obtain these records? Is there any one has any experience on it ? I realy need your help:( thanks!
While not every participant reporting this is a 3/5 rule applicant, almost all are. So the discussion above, going all the way back to the first post on the first page, is mostly about October 2017 applicants who have been issued the PPQ -QAE (CIT 0205). You might try skimming the conversation looking specifically for posts discussing how to respond, what documents to submit, what alternative documents could be submitted, and so on.

Overall, get the Finger Prints done timely. Otherwise, submit your response timely including as many of the documents you can, acknowledging which ones you are not including and why. If the reason why is that you are requesting them from other sources but have not received them yet, explain that and explain you will submit those once you have obtained them. Main thing is to respond timely as best you can.

The Service Ontario website should give you information about how to obtain your Ontario health service records. I do not know about BC, but others here have done this and that should be among the easier aspects of this. It is, nonetheless, a profound intrusion into a person's privacy.

There are at least three who received this who appear to NOT be suffering much if any delay in processing, so other than the inconvenience imposed, there is a good chance this does not have much of a negative impact on how things go for a qualified applicant who timely makes a responsive submission.

hmilywsx

Feb 23, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm so upset:(. We are in same boat.

I delivered my app on Oct. 18/2017, AOR is on Nov. 24/2017, IP is on Dec. 5/2018, Location is Mississauga. I just recieved the mail from IRCC that I was selected to Quality Assurance Program. Is it a big trouble? And I must provide Province Personal Health Claims Summary. In my eligibility period I lived in BC and ON, so how to obtain these records? Is there any one has any experience on it ? thanks!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014

This is of course the question of import for the individual applicant. And of course the answer will depend in part, or entirely, on generally the same criteria other applicants are evaluated by . . . meaning that the outcome will be tied to whether the facts and circumstances readily support IRCC concluding the applicant is qualified or whether there are questions or concerns identified and which will need to be addressed.

The timing of these early reports suggests, as best I can discern, that the PPQ - QAE itself does not divert the application into a separate queue from those being routinely processed. This would be a huge difference in how the OB- 407 pre-test RQ process worked. And on its face would almost certainly be more equitable.

This does not, however, reveal whether scheduling for the test and interview is conditioned on a review of the application AND PPQ submission, or if the application is scheduled for the test and interview due to its spot in the queue and the application and PPQ submission are examined and assessed attendant the processing agent's preparation for the interview . . . indeed, we do NOT know if in general applicants are scheduled for the interview based on spot in the routine queue, prior to local office substantively assessing the application, or if the preparation for interview step precedes scheduling the interview with scheduling of the interview depending on the outcome of that review.

This could vary from local office to local office. Either as to routinely processed applications or PPQ'd applicants.

That is, procedurally, is IRCC local office screening/assessment done before the interview is scheduled, or is the interview scheduled and the screening done attendant preparation for the interview in conjunction with the interview itself? This would determine if some see their timeline to the test/interview taking significantly longer than others, due to some being cleared to stay in a relatively routine processing track while others are diverted into a separate track involving more scrutiny, perhaps collateral inquiries to verify information.

Obviously, such a diversion is possible attendant the interview itself, as it is for all routine applicants (if, for example, discrepancies between passport stamps and travel history are identified during the interview, or if the applicant's responses raise questions or concerns, and so on). But it would be interesting to know how much an applicant's case is substantively examined (if much at all) prior to even being scheduled for the interview.

This might fall into the category of academic distinctions (with which so many discussions in the forum seem bogged down these days), a matter of curiosity more than useful information. But if we can discern at which stage the response to PPQ is actually examined and evaluated, that should shed some light on what those subject to the PPQ - QAE can reasonably anticipate regarding timelines, at least in terms of how long to the test and interview (roughly, usually, some times, most times, as well as possible variations).

In this context, it is worth noting that recently reported additional victims (that is, "recipients" of the PPQ - QAE) continue to evidence circumstances at the least hinting risk indicator criteria despite the explicit statement in IRCC correspondence that the PPQ - QAE is random . . . thus leaving open the question, still, to what extent it actually is random. The more random it is, the less anxious PPQ'd applicants should be. And the converse if risk-indicator criteria are employed, noting however that broad risk indicator criteria could be employed to either narrow the group from which PPQ'd recipients are randomly selected, or applicants might be randomly selected to be screened for risk indicators which will determine who is issued PPQ'd, or some other variation of this. For now, it just seems a bit telling that many of those reporting PPQ tend to involve what, I'd guess, is a disproportionate (compared to the majority of reporting applicants generally) correlation to factors like a less stable address or work history.

Every report of what is happening to those who were issued the PPQ-QAE, no matter how minute, helps to paint the picture.
@galant got DM a day after the test. QAE did not seem to impact the timeline much (if at all).
Hi Admin
Please update my timeline to Decision Made
Line 232: VM(Galant)
Highlight of the case is PPQ/QAE Case. Decision Made is done one day after Test.
Mississauga. Local office
The office was very good and understanding.
Thanks

applicant361

Star Member
Mar 19, 2015
Dear all

A couple of questions, which i would appreciate if you get help me with:?
1) when have people on this forum been getting RQ/QA? (before/after test? how much after IP/Test?)
2) does it show up in ecas? or do you just get it in the mail?

Many thanks

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Seems unlikely that IRCC would invest too much in employing risk criteria to pre-limit the pool that PPQ are issued for. I can see them reasonably being able to automatically assess for things like date, location or application inconsistnecies, but I would imagine more risk assessment happens when an officer looks at the file. It was suggested in another thread that they are using a systematic random sampling approach, which would be much cheaper in terms of workload and probably just as effective.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Dear all

1) when have people on this forum been getting RQ/QA? (before/after test? how much after IP/Test?)

Many thanks
From what I've noticed,

1) QAE is sent by CPC-Sydney around the time the application starts processing
RQ can be sent at any time, before or after the test.

2) No, does not show up on ECAS from what I've seen on this forum. Sent via regular mail

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
I will duplicate post my test invite here as well since I was requested for RQ stuff:

Yesterday I got test invite for March 22, almost 4 weeks after I submitted my RQ docs. I had only traveled US (6 times) and had full-time job in Canada or was full-time student during the years of eligibility.

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I will duplicate post my test invite here as well since I was requested for RQ stuff:

Yesterday I got test invite for March 22, almost 4 weeks after I submitted my RQ docs. I had only traveled US (6 times) and had full-time job in Canada or was full-time student during the years of eligibility.
Thank you.

Hi Admin
Please update my timeline to Decision Made
Line 232: VM(Galant)
Highlight of the case is PPQ/QAE Case. Decision Made is done one day after Test.
Mississauga. Local office
The office was very good and understanding.
Thanks
It would be a huge help if you could share some information about your interview and the extent to which the PPQ was addressed, if any.

I delivered my app on Oct. 18/2017, AOR is on Nov. 24/2017, IP is on Dec. 5/2018, Location is Mississauga. I just recieved the mail from IRCC that I was selected to Quality Assurance Program.
Please clarify the date you received IP. "Dec. 5/2018" is obviously a typo. This could be significant information in our effort to sort out what IRCC is doing, who is getting this, and how it can affect those who get it. (Timeline is discussed more in another post below.)

By the way, again I'd suggest reading previous posts above about this process, going back to page 1 . . . you can skip my lengthy analytical posts since they are more for those engaged in following this issue closely, and look for posts specifically about what is asked and how to respond.

TIMELINE and RELATED OBSERVATIONS:

The available information is still way too sketchy to draw dependable conclusions.

While timeline reports help illuminate what those affected might anticipate in their own cases, and in this regard the reports (at least 4 so far) offer a lot of hope that qualified applicants might not be slowed down all that much by this "exercise," the timeline information can also help illuminate other elements of this process, not the least of which is whether or not it is truly randomly imposed (more and more this appears to not be true, despite IRCC statement otherwise).

Without carefully revisiting timelines for the two dozen plus participants here reporting PPQ - QAE, my recall is that most, nearly all, have so far gotten this either before IP or soon after IP.

That is consistent with the post by @razerblade above:

From what I've noticed,

1) QAE is sent by CPC-Sydney around the time the application starts processing
RQ can be sent at any time, before or after the test.

2) No, does not show up on ECAS from what I've seen on this forum. Sent via regular mail
HOWEVER, @hmilywsx reports AOR Nov 24, 2017 and IP Dec 5, 2018 ("Dec. 5/2018" is obviously a typo), and JUST NOW getting the PPQ -QAE.

It may be readily assumed the IP date was Dec 5, 2017, or Jan 5, 2018, or Feb 5, 2018. Hopefully @hmilywsx will respond and clarify.

I am guessing the IP date is Dec 5, 2017 (typo as to year seems most likely). Assuming this, it appears @hmilywsx was issued the PPQ - QAE after the file was referred to the local office. At the least, it does NOT appear the decision to issue the PPQ was proximately made attendant IP.

This warrants further attention. And I will address it further in another post.

Edit to add:

Do not have the time to delve into this further today, so no further post today. It is a complicated subject.

Suffice it to say, for now, that the timeline reported by @hmilywsx suggests (unless it is an anomaly) either the selection process is not uniformly employed at the same stage of processing, and thus is NOT random, or in addition to randomly selecting a certain percentage for the "exercise," the PPQ form may be ADDITIONALLY being used instead of RQ (CIT 0171) for applicants triggering a risk indicator.

Consider, for example . . .

Seems unlikely that IRCC would invest too much in employing risk criteria to pre-limit the pool that PPQ are issued for. I can see them reasonably being able to automatically assess for things like date, location or application inconsistnecies, but I would imagine more risk assessment happens when an officer looks at the file. It was suggested in another thread that they are using a systematic random sampling approach, which would be much cheaper in terms of workload and probably just as effective.
The PPQ - QAE correspondence from IRCC, the cover-letter so to say, explicitly states that the recipient was "randomly selected." Indeed, the very first line in the correspondence (at least that reported by most recipients so far) states:
"Your application was randomly selected for a special review exercise in connection with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) Quality Assurance Program." (Note: for those reporting PPQ, please let us know if this is different from what you received.)​

HOWEVER, among those affected who have also shared some of their circumstances, they appear to have risk-indicator-circumstances disproportionate to the vast majority of qualified applications. This observation, of course, is based on what has been historically employed as risk indicators, going back to the appendix in Operational Manual CP - 5 Residence (applicable from at least 2005 until 2012), and the File Requirements Checklist adopted in the notorious OB - 407 (implemented in 2012, and likely still the format in use today albeit amended in ways we do not know). This, the appearance of more risk indicators among those issued PPQ, could be mere coincidence, and personally I am not making any firm judgments about this as yet, but the probabilities tend to suggest this is not a coincidence. And if not, that indicates risk indicator criteria has some role in determining who is selected for this "exercise."

Or, Sydney is randomly selecting some applicants for the exercise AND, additionally, perhaps this same form is also being used if and when an applicant has risk indicators. This could explain how it is that @hmilywsx was, apparently, issued PPQ months after the application was given IP status.

Again, and again, a lot is yet NOT known.

It is correct, from a systems analysis perspective, that a totally random exercise should be the most cost-effective way to generate informative results for the purpose of actually assessing what information will best screen applicants for fraud. BUT that depends in very large part on how the responses to the PPQ are used. In particular, if the responses are merely used to screen the individual applicant who is selected to submit PPQ, to in effect randomly catch those engaging in fraud, it will NOT help IRCC much in identifying what to look for, how to interdict fraud other than by employing the PPQ.

This is precisely one of the auditor general's criticisms of the OB-407 screening process. The pre-test RQ thoroughly screened those who got pre-test RQ but the results were not analyzed to assess the efficacy of the criteria employed.

Questions, questions, questions, and very few answers. At the least, though, it appears that PPQ will not itself cause a qualified applicant's case to go off the rails. And that is very good news for many issued this PPQ.

Last edited: