+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205

Voltron123

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know. Not so good this has happened. Please keep the forum apprised how this goes for you.

In the meantime, it appears there is another victim to add to the growing list of citizenship applicants burdened with the PPQ - QAE:

I am hoping @Voltron123 will confirm whether the "background check" referenced is the PPQ-QAE or not, and also join the discussion here, adding his or her how it goes reports to the discussion.

By the way, @Voltron123, if what you received is NOT the PPQ - QAE, please share with us the title of the correspondence or requests you received, and also look at the lower left hand corner of any part which is clearly a form and look for its formal form number . . . such as CIT 0171 or CIT 0520 or, the one being most commonly reported these days, the CIT 0205 form . . . and let us know which it is. It would be appreciated. There is a lot to learn about these procedures, still, so whatever additional information those affected can provide, the more we can organize, collate, and digest what we know, so we can better help those affected, whether that is helping them understand what they need to do to appropriately respond, or helping affected applicants understand better what this means and how it will affect their application. We can extrapolate some from prior procedures, like the standard RQ (CIT 0171) or its cousin, RQ-lite (CIT 0520), including what was learned during the huge surge in pre-test RQ that occurred during the Harper government years. But the more we learn about what is happening in regards to this relatively new procedure, the more forum participants can help one another best navigate the way forward.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.
By using the term "background check" I meant PPQ & QAE. I read some of the posts here and the required documents are the same.

Voltron123

Oct 27, 2017
Hello all,
In the "Appendix" on Entry / Exit records, it says that:
Entry/Exit record issued by the authorities of your country of citizenship and/or you resided in during the relevant period.

What I understood is that visiting other countries with a tourist visa are not included and let's say, if I visited Italy for 10 days as a tourist, I don't need to get an entry-exit record from Italy. Thank you for your help.

Patrice83

Jan 22, 2018
Did you get a reply about your question? Should we put just N/A since we did not get this assistance?
What province does Molin reside in? Both documents can be requested from his/her provincial authorities. If you tell me his/her province of residence, I'll be able to send a helpful link.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What I understood is that visiting other countries with a tourist visa are not included and let's say, if I visited Italy for 10 days as a tourist, I don't need to get an entry-exit record from Italy.
Only countries in which the applicant has lived, plus the home country.

It is possible to reside in a country with just visitor or tourist status, but unless the person actually establishes a household in the country or stays for an extended period of time as if to be living there, it is not likely IRCC will expect entry/exit records for that country.

Key exit/entry records to provide are those from the home country and any country in which the applicant was working or otherwise had an established home.

Reactions: Voltron123

Voltron123

Oct 27, 2017
What province does Molin reside in? Both documents can be requested from his/her provincial authorities. If you tell me his/her province of residence, I'll be able to send a helpful link.
I don't know Molin's residence but I live in Quebec. My question is I did not get any of these assistances, should I ask the Quebec government to give me a document stating that I did not receive any assistance? Or another option is to leave this section blank.

Patrice83

Jan 22, 2018
I don't know Molin's residence but I live in Quebec. My question is I did not get any of these assistances, should I ask the Quebec government to give me a document stating that I did not receive any assistance? Or another option is to leave this section blank.
If it doesn't apply to you, you should just leave it blank. You don't have to provide any additional document for that.

Reactions: Voltron123

Voltron123

Oct 27, 2017
Dear friends,
I have another question:

Those who have a property (during eligibility period) in their home country should provide mortgage details in addition to land registry event though the payments have been completed in the past?

Thank you

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Dear friends,
I have another question:

Those who have a property (during eligibility period) in their home country should provide mortgage details in addition to land registry event though the payments have been completed in the past?

Thank you
In the version of CIT 0205 I have seen, item 12 in the Questionnaire requires the applicant to list all property the applicant has owned "inside or outside" Canada during the eligibility period, and that part of the form references providing the respective documents indicated in the "Appendix-Required Documents."

Clearly the applicant is required to disclose any property abroad the applicant has an ownership interest in. What specific documents the applicant should submit with this is probably a personal judgment. Title for the property should suffice. Statement of discharge of mortgage maybe. As long as the applicant discloses the ownership interest in the foreign property and includes some documents which are consistent with the nature of the applicant's interest in the property, that should suffice.

dabas

Star Member
Jan 27, 2016
In the version of CIT 0205 I have seen, item 12 in the Questionnaire requires the applicant to list all property the applicant has owned "inside or outside" Canada during the eligibility period, and that part of the form references providing the respective documents indicated in the "Appendix-Required Documents."

Clearly the applicant is required to disclose any property abroad the applicant has an ownership interest in. What specific documents the applicant should submit with this is probably a personal judgment. Title for the property should suffice. Statement of discharge of mortgage maybe. As long as the applicant discloses the ownership interest in the foreign property and includes some documents which are consistent with the nature of the applicant's interest in the property, that should suffice.

@Depanbill: where can we see the questionnaire and are you able to share one in full or in part anonymously if you have a sample.
I am following your recommendation to prepare for it ahead of my application for citizenship as it seems hard to comply with the tight 30-60 days to compile it. Thanks for your guidance.

Fiore2017

Oct 31, 2017
Hello,
I have a question... I start my application in September, I get the RQ in December and sent the documentation the 10 February. My RP will expire the end of June, Do you think I have to apply for a renewal of the RP? Is it mandatory since I didn't get the nationality? Is it correct?
Thank you in advice for your answer.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
@Depanbill: where can we see the questionnaire and are you able to share one in full or in part anonymously if you have a sample.
I am following your recommendation to prepare for it ahead of my application for citizenship as it seems hard to comply with the tight 30-60 days to compile it. Thanks for your guidance.
I do not have a copy to share (only version I have seen is through confidential access). Sorry.

In terms of the information requested, it is similar to RQ which is the CIT 0171 form and a copy of which is available on the Internet, but I do not have a url or link.

In terms of the documents requested and general description of the whole thing (there are several parts to the PPQ-QAE), several others have offered quite a lot of good detail above.

I am not sure I have recommended prospective applicants prepare for the PPQ-QAE in specific terms, more in the general sense that all applicants should be prepared to present proof they qualify for citizenship, which mostly means keeping records which one would ordinarily keep anyway, rental or mortgage documents, employment and tax documents, along with an exact log of travel history, and thus to be prepared to share the paper trail of a life lived in Canada. That said, some prospective applicants may recognize circumstances in their particular situation which could increase the risk of RQ or PPQ, and perhaps recognize some potential weaknesses in their case in the event they are issued RQ or PPQ. These individuals may want to make a more diligent effort to gather and keep records. For example, I was not only self-employed but my only customers/clients are outside Canada, a circumstance I recognized (especially back when I was applying, in the Harper era) might make it more difficult for me to convincingly prove I was in Canada all the time I said I was . . . so I felt I needed to collect and retain good records to show I was actually physically working here in Canada, maintaining an office and all that.

There is still no reason to apprehend RQ or PPQ for the vast majority of applicants. Despite two dozen reports of PPQ in the forum, that is a small percentage of forum participants who have applied in the last four months. It might happen. It can happen to any applicant. But it is more likely it will NOT happen.

Reactions: sophon

Marooned2

Star Member
May 18, 2017
Did anyone get RQ request after mid December? Was wondering if it was a one time thing or they send it in waves once per pile or they are continuously everyday sending RQ packages. Just to have have a better estimate how likely my girl friend who sent her app at Jan will receive one.

Voltron123

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone recently submitted his/her Quality Assurance Exercise (and all the required supporting documents) and got an approval?

I am wondering usually how many weeks/months would it take to get a news from Immigration Canada. I know that it depends on the application but still curious about it.

Thank you in advance