+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ versus Physical Presence Questionnaires, including CIT 0205

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I realize applicants are eager to know what is happening, when next steps will happen, and whether there is an issue in their case, even for routine applications which have not been issued the PPQ or RQ, let alone those who have been selected for the PPQ-QAE or RQ. I understand the anxiety of not knowing.

BUT it is still way too soon to worry. Way, way too soon to apprehend there is any significant let alone lengthy delay happening.

Even the most routine, problem-free applications may NOT proceed to the test/interview, let alone Decision-Made, let alone the oath, for eight to ten months, or even longer. Given the surge in applications submitted last October and November, probably continuing some still, it will be NO SURPRISE if a significant, even large number of ROUTINELY processed applications take LONGER THAN A YEAR.

it is UNLIKELY there is ANY CAUSE for concern UNLESS the applicant already knows of a reason, of a weakness or problem with their own case.

The copy of the GCMS report sent to applicants in response to ATIP is largely, if not wholly useless, providing NO useful information, barely providing any interesting information, and tends to be populated by a lot of default settings which bear little if any relevance to the individual's case. Yes, there are circumstances in which it is prudent to make the ATIP application (in which case, however, a carefully composed customized request is usually much better), but just being anxious about the timeline is NOT reason to make an unnecessary ATIP application.

DO NOT BE DISTRACTED, LET ALONE ALARMED, BY REPORTS REFLECTING FASTER TIMELINES.

Even among the most routinely processed applications, the bulk of applicants are likely to see a timeline which is TWO to THREE TIMES as long as the faster timelines.

I share suspicions about the "RANDOMNESS" of being selected for the PPQ-QAE. I share skepticism that applicants selected for the PPQ-QAE should not incur any delay. BUT there are no indications yet that those selected are generally targeted for elevated scrutiny beyond the scope of the QAE itself (obviously, applicants with actual issues in their applications can and will likely be subject to elevated scrutiny, upon discovery of the issue). And there are no indications yet that those selected are likely to incur lengthy delays . . . again, except those with actual issues.

That is, a somewhat longer timeline seems likely BUT so far there is NO indication that selected applicants will generally face a lot longer timeline.

BOTTOM-LINE: Just as I have suggested for routine applicants: RELAX. BE PATIENT. Qualified applicants who properly completed the application and who have timely, and substantially responded to a PPQ-QAE, who know of no particular reason to worry, HAVE NO REASON TO WORRY. Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does. For some, the process will sail by quickly. For more, this is going to take some time. For many,10 to 14 months overall should be NO surprise. It is what it is. RELAX. BE PATIENT. Watch for notices from IRCC. Best bet is on it is ALL OK.

kl_king

Oct 20, 2017
A quick update on my specific case for those who are interested in getting more data points to understand this RQ process.

I received a second letter from the IRCC in the form of a "final notice - request for supplementary evidence" date the 23rd March because I had been unable to provide an entry and exit document from my home country. (A result of a mess within their bureaucratic system, which is beyond the scope of my interaction with the IRCC.) I responded to this to explain the issue with getting this document, and that I was still waiting for the process to provide it.

I sent this response on the 4th April, and IRCC sent a notice to appear for my exam dated the 9th April. The exam was today (10th May) and the interviewer was able to tell me on the spot that she had no concerns after speaking with me and that I could either have an "expedited" ceremony sometime soon (because of the delay this process had caused) or attend one on Canada Day - which I have chosen to do.

My reference was contact shortly after the test and interview were completed. Now I just have to wait for the official notice of decision made and invite to the oath ceremony. So, while this process is relatively frustrating and requires additional cost and effort, it doesn't seem that this will necessarily significantly delay the application for citizenship. At least not in my case. Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:

cherif2100

Mar 1, 2012
Visa Office......
Beirut
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2011/11/21
Doc's Request.
2012 / 07 /10
Nomination.....
2012/10/ 06
AOR Received.
2012 /12 / 19
File Transfer...
2013 to bucharest
Med's Request
2013/09/24
Med's Done....
27-SEP-2013 // in process 9 Nov
Interview........
2012/11/21
Passport Req..
2014/04/15
VISA ISSUED...
2014/04/23
LANDED..........
2014/05/14
A quick update on my specific case for those who are interested in getting more data points to understand this RQ process.

I received a second letter from the IRCC in the form of a "final notice - request for supplementary evidence" date the 23rd March because I had been unable to provide an entry and exit document from my home country. (A result of a mess within their bureaucratic system, which is beyond the scope of my interaction with the IRCC.) I responded to this to explain the issue with getting this document, and that I was still waiting for the process to provide it.

I sent this response on the 4th April, and IRCC sent a notice to appear for my exam dated the 9th April. The exam was today (10th May) and the interviewer was able to tell me on the spot that she had no concerns after speaking with me and that I could either have an "expedited" ceremony sometime soon (because of the delay this process had caused) or attend one of Canada Day - which I have chosen to do.

My reference was contact shortly after the test and interview were completed. Now I just have to wait for the official notice of decision made and invite to the oath ceremony. So, while this process is relatively frustrating and requires additional cost and effort, it doesn't seem that this will necessarily significantly delay the application for citizenship. At least not in my case. Good luck to everyone else!
Congrats! Glad to hear about the positive progress with your application, would you mind to tell in what city is your application office ? In my case it’s been already a 2 months delay behind the rest of my friends who were not selected for RQ and I still have no news since I submitted the papers, my application is in Montreal.

kl_king

Oct 20, 2017
I'm located in Toronto, but it is the Mississauga office that is processing my application (and that I had to go to for the test.) So long as you provided all of the paperwork the next step should just be the test being scheduled; but that I suspect is dependent upon the efficiency of whoever is working on your file.

Reactions: cherif2100

Voltron123

Oct 27, 2017

I sent this response on the 4th April, and IRCC sent a notice to appear for my exam dated the 9th April. The exam was today (10th May) and the interviewer was able to tell me on the spot that she had no concerns after speaking with me and that I could either have an "expedited" ceremony sometime soon (because of the delay this process had caused) or attend one on Canada Day - which I have chosen to do.

Congrats on your progress! It's great to learn that at least one of us is moving forward.

Could you please let us know when did you receive your RQ?

I sent all the required documents to the Montreal office 2 months ago and there is no news at all (IP since December 4th).

Patrice83

Jan 22, 2018

Thanks for sharing your experience, and congrats on reaching the final stage :)
I live in Toronto as well and I sent all my supporting documents by recommended mail on Feb 7 2018 to Citizenship Official in Mississauga. How long did it take you to receive a response from IRCC after you sent all the documents requested?
Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Congratulations and add me to those expressing appreciation for this report.

Canada Day oath ceremonies tend to be very special affairs, more dignitaries than usual, a bit more pomp, which most candidates (once there is a DM and the oath scheduled, the "applicant" becomes a "candidate" for citizenship) appear to enjoy. So, yeah, ENJOY (assuming it happens this way . . . and otherwise as well when it happens, regarding which it appears there is no cause to worry at all).

kl_king

Oct 20, 2017
ECAS updated to decision made this morning - sounds really positive for me! :)

@Voltron123 I received the RQ in January after getting back from a Christmas vacation, it was dated mid December (with the standard 60 days to respond which didn't seem hugely reasonable.) I sent my response to the IRCC on the 29th January. I took them over three months to send me anything again.

@Patrice83 I didn't hear anything from them until the final request notice (because they still wanted one more document from me.) If it hadn't been for that, I'm not sure how long the process would have taken. It sounds like you sent your response quite soon after mine, and I heard back from them a little over a month ago so, if my experience was representative and your application similarly "routine" to mine, I would expect you'll hear from them soon. Good luck!

Patrice83

Jan 22, 2018
ECAS updated to decision made this morning - sounds really positive for me! :)

@Voltron123 I received the RQ in January after getting back from a Christmas vacation, it was dated mid December (with the standard 60 days to respond which didn't seem hugely reasonable.) I sent my response to the IRCC on the 29th January. I took them over three months to send me anything again.

@Patrice83 I didn't hear anything from them until the final request notice (because they still wanted one more document from me.) If it hadn't been for that, I'm not sure how long the process would have taken. It sounds like you sent your response quite soon after mine, and I heard back from them a little over a month ago so, if my experience was representative and your application similarly "routine" to mine, I would expect you'll hear from them soon. Good luck!
Thanks for your insight! I received a request for supplementary evidence (CIT0520) dated 2018/05/09 the day before yesterday. They are requesting an Entry/Exit record issued by the authorities of my country of Citizenship (Cameroon) I checked on the website of the consulate in Ottawa, and they do not provide such a document. I sent them an email and included a copy of the CIT0520 in attachment the same day I got the letter from IRCC. Hopefully, they'll reply so I can print out the email and send it to IRCC in Mississauga as proof.

maverickdexter

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Any progress guys?
Application sent Nov 17 2017
Application in process Jan 31 2018
RQ requested: Jan 31 2018
RQ sent Mar 26 2018 (except for US entry exit records)
Waiting to get US entry exit records...
No updates since then....

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Any progress guys?
Didn't you provide IRCC your consent for US entry/exit records? Why you need to get the records by yourself?

spletpeer

Sep 28, 2016
Any progress guys?
Application sent Oct 14 2017
Application in process Dec 05 2017
Interview date May 15 2017
RQ request (CIT 0502) May 15 during the interview
No updates since then.... still in processing

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Any progress guys?
Please clarify which form you received. There have been very few reports of "RQ" (CIT 0171) issued from Sydney for a long while now, and NONE recently that I recall.

This particular topic was triggered by the more recent reports of applicants being sent CIT 0205 titled "Physical Presence Questionnaire - Quality Assurance Exercise" and this is typically sent at or around the same time as IP.

There are big differences depending on which type of request or questionnaire the applicant is given. The most common are:
-- CIT 0205 the Physical Presence Questionnaire - Quality Assurance Exercise (with additional requests)
-- CIT 0520 which is called RQ-lite
-- CIT 0171 which is the full blown RQ

In the meantime, please do keep this topic updated as to your progress.

Any progress guys?
Application sent Oct 14 2017
Application in process Dec 05 2017
Interview date May 15 2017
RQ request (CIT 0502) May 15 during the interview
No updates since then.... still in processing
Since this request came during the interview, I am guessing that it is CIT 0520 rather than CIT 0502 . . . if it is indeed the latter (CIT 0502), that is a different form than we have seen reported. If it is CIT 0205, that is the quality control exercise form which we have not previously seen given to applicants at or after the test or interview.

As noted above, precisely which form it is makes a difference.

Note, for example, that CIT 0520 is NOT full blown RQ. Makes a big difference. If it is the RQ-lite form, CIT 0520, that means you have much better odds of progressing to the oath (assuming all is in order) in a fairly routine timeline. Full blown RQ (CIT 0171) can mean some very long delays and even the outcome could be in doubt.

For you as well, please do keep the topic updates as to your progress.

Reactions: waakio

cherif2100

Mar 1, 2012
Visa Office......
Beirut
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2011/11/21
Doc's Request.
2012 / 07 /10
Nomination.....
2012/10/ 06
AOR Received.
2012 /12 / 19
File Transfer...
2013 to bucharest
Med's Request
2013/09/24
Med's Done....
27-SEP-2013 // in process 9 Nov
Interview........
2012/11/21
Passport Req..
2014/04/15
VISA ISSUED...
2014/04/23
LANDED..........
2014/05/14
I checked the status of my application online at www.cic.gc.ca and it indicates that they sent me a notice on 05/31/2018 to appear and write the citizenship test on 06/21/2018. Finally :) Please update the tracker.

After reading your update I checked my application status updated on the 31 of may , it says they sent me invitation for the citizenship test on June 14! Finally some positive news.