+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning while not meeting RO - any recent experiences?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Anyway my advice to the original poster is to be prepared to show that you are really committed to stay and and have no form of attachments to your country of origin. Also don't give out too much information without being asked. But if you did not spend much time in Canada chances are low you'll be allowed to stay.
Were you asked any reasons as to why you were out of Canada so long/late in returning? Did you provide any?

Were you asked / did you refer to or provide any H&C reasons (for example, covid)?

Your description focussed entirely on 'ties' to Canada vs home country.

Reactions: bengalister

bengalister

May 25, 2016
Thanks for your reply, what would you advise me if I am in a similar situation as I was not able returning back because of health issue post COVID that prevents me knowing that no ties in Canada at all and no job in country of origin, should I try another PoE instead of YUL e.g. Toronto airport.
@bengalister why didn't you tell them you would appeal. Did they force you to renounce your pr status?
No they did not force me at all. It is just that from what I read it is hard to win the appeal if you don't have any humanitarian or compassionate reasons. Regardless how well you are established in the country it looks like it is not taken into account at the time of the hearing. Maybe if you marry a Canadian and have kids ;-) (don't know)...I did not want to live a couple of months knowing that at any time I'd have to leave in a hurry.

bengalister

May 25, 2016
Were you asked any reasons as to why you were out of Canada so long/late in returning? Did you provide any?

Were you asked / did you refer to or provide any H&C reasons (for example, covid)?

Your description focussed entirely on 'ties' to Canada vs home country.
> Were you asked any reasons as to why you were out of Canada so long/late in returning? Did you provide any?

They asked me why now and not before, yes.

I said that I did not expect to obtain my PR so early and was not ready to settle in at the beginning, it was true, I obtained my PR in less that a year I think and had a 1,5 month notice to "commit" my PR. I had to sell my apartment and had ties that I could not break that quickly.
Also I talked about covid and it is true that it one of the reason why I did not come back earlier.
When covid hit I was not in breach of my RO but already short on days spent in Canada vs time spent out of Canada, I was about to come back and prepared for it just when it hit. I could have moved back to Canada but it was more that I did not feel like to start a new life in a middle of a lockdown and with very bad perspectives. I really thought that there would be a major economic downturn more serious than the 1929's one.
The answer that I got is that it was still possible to travel (well not really at the very beginning) and that the CBA saw immigrants every day at that time. So unless you got seriously ill due to covid or a relative that needed support I don't think it is a valid reason.

The real reason for me was that I was simply undecided to start a new life and had family pressure (parents and siblings) to stay (I talked about that also to them but it does not qualify at compassionate enough ;-)) at the beginning of my PR and took too much time to decide before the covid situation.

They really want you to prove/show that this time you are here to stay for good and won't leave again (I heard the senior person talk to the junior one about that). It looked like to be the number 1 criterion. But in addition you need to have spent a couple of months in the last 5 years, I don't really remember the exact number, if they said to one another (not to me) 100 or 200 days which is quite different but it looked unofficial anyway (so take it with a grain of salt). But yes it looks like there is some form of tolerance nowadays with the RO obligations if you are not too far from them or have good reasons.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also I talked about covid and it is true that it one of the reason why I did not come back earlier.
When covid hit I was not in breach of my RO but already short on days spent in Canada vs time spent out of Canada, I was about to come back and prepared for it just when it hit. ...
The answer that I got is that it was still possible to travel (well not really at the very beginning) and that the CBA saw immigrants every day at that time. So unless you got seriously ill due to covid or a relative that needed support I don't think it is a valid reason.

The real reason for me was that I was simply undecided to start a new life ...

They really want you to prove/show that this time you are here to stay for good and won't leave again ... . It looked like to be the number 1 criterion. But in addition you need to have spent a couple of months in the last 5 years, I don't really remember the exact number, if they said to one another (not to me) 100 or 200 days which is quite different but it looked unofficial anyway (so take it with a grain of salt).
Thank you for this summary, it's very useful to others to hear actual experiences (negative and positive) and unfortunately we don't get detailed reports often.

In particular, there's been quite a bit of discussion here about covid for those out of compliance with the RO - with some taking a position that covid does/should forgive anything (or there should be some more specific 'forgiveness' formula or something), and others that 'PRs could always return' and/or that things that took place more than a year ago (i.e. the covid pandemic and all the policies around that) are no longer relevant.

Obviously it's in-between. Just saying covid ain't enough (but everyone should mention it anyway). But it is a factor.

That said, the 100 or 200 day numbers referenced show that whatever the relative-to-covid stance, it's hardly terribly demanding.

Probably now - slowly - returning to 'before the flood' situation: real commitment to remaining is #1, and having enough days in Canada to make that somewhat credible close behind in importance. Return sooner, stay longer, don't push your luck with travel when out of compliance, and account for contingencies.

Mpup87

Jan 7, 2017
I have a very different situation.
I have spent a total of 11 months in Canada after I landed as PR. I came back to Canada in June Last year and applied for renewal of my PR card in July 2022 on H&R Grounds (specifying my wives medical treatment being underway in home country) and her spousal application taking long time.
My gc key says application received on 21 july 2022. After that i am yet to receive any update. Now after waiting for that long I am planning to return to Canada via land border .
what are the possible scenarios I can witness and what I need to say to the immigration officer at the port of entry . My wife has a Valid PR Card and she would be travelling with me.
Thank you

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
I have a very different situation.
I have spent a total of 11 months in Canada after I landed as PR. I came back to Canada in June Last year and applied for renewal of my PR card in July 2022 on H&R Grounds (specifying my wives medical treatment being underway in home country) and her spousal application taking long time.
My gc key says application received on 21 july 2022. After that i am yet to receive any update. Now after waiting for that long I am planning to return to Canada via land border .
what are the possible scenarios I can witness and what I need to say to the immigration officer at the port of entry . My wife has a Valid PR Card and she would be travelling with me.
Thank you
As your wife has a valid pr card and accompanys you, when go through the land poe, just tell the agent your card is under renewal but you has to leave the country for medical reason, I guess everything should be fine. You could be reported or not, but thing won't turn worse.
If you can drive your own car and passing the poe, that's the most easy option. You make your situation very common. To some degree, people coming from us by land driving their own vehicle makes agent much comfortable to wave you in. My personal tips.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023
Hi all,

would request your advice in my case -

I became PR on April 5, 2018 and it expires on May 19, 2023.

Just before covid outbreak, ie late March 2020, I had to leave back for my home country due to parental health issues, which kept me there till November end 2021, I returned back to Canada on Dec 1, 2021 but had to leave in late Jan 2022 due to parental health issues again.

I am planning to return to Canada to renew my PR card on 28th April 2023.

Now here are my queries -
1) Will I face questioning at immigration on Toronto airport as on that I would have 720 to 730 days to my credit (If I count the days in 5 years immediately preceding that very day) ?

2) For Renewal of PR, for meeting the residency obligation of physical presence in Canada ie 730 days in 5 years, the 5 years period is counted from the date of application or from the date of me becoming a PR ?...... coz i would have definitely met this requirement if it is counted from the day of me becoming PR but it will be just 730 days if I see it from the date of application (which can be any day post my arrival on 28 April 2023).

3) Can I file the application for renewal of PR card online??

4) Is my application for Renewal affected if the days of my presence in Canada are just 730 or little over it. ?

Thanks
I am stuck in similar situation, same timeline and everything so looking for a reply too. Please let me know if you find an answer as I am very desperate and scared

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
I am stuck in similar situation, same timeline and everything so looking for a reply too. Please let me know if you find an answer as I am very desperate and scared
Calm down buddy. With minor break of ro is fine. If you're stopped, be honest. Give any reason is fine. If your home and family remains in Canada, let them know, it's a good base for you.
Try return as far as possible with your card expiration.

Apr 23, 2023
So that's the problem! My PR card expires in June and I don't know anyone in Canada. I am going to Vancouver tonight but I want to apply for PR card renewal as God forbids if there is an emergency back in India and I go, I will not be able to come back to Canada.
Another thing, even if I stay in Canada till June untill my PR expires then also I am not fulfilling the RO criteria of 730 days, it will still be 718. :((

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
So that's the problem! My PR card expires in June and I don't know anyone in Canada. I am going to Vancouver tonight but I want to apply for PR card renewal as God forbids if there is an emergency back in India and I go, I will not be able to come back to Canada.
Another thing, even if I stay in Canada till June untill my PR expires then also I am not fulfilling the RO criteria of 730 days, it will still be 718. :((
I understand your situation, but if your gap of absence is smaller than 1095 days, you generally can meet ro in several months, not two years. Wait until then to submit. And, try get a US Visa. If you're Canadian pr, it's very easy, but nowadays you could face long line waiting for an interview appointment. After you get US Visa, drive to nearby US airport to start your trip and return by driving back. Don't stay too long aboard. Avoid any pr card or prtd issue.

abdo_85

Jun 7, 2012
Good luck in your return, hope you share your return experience with us.

Apr 23, 2023
Sorry I didn't understand completely, I have a US visa for 10 years. How can I utilise it?

I understand your situation, but if your gap of absence is smaller than 1095 days, you generally can meet ro in several months, not two years. Wait until then to submit. And, try get a US Visa. If you're Canadian pr, it's very easy, but nowadays you could face long line waiting for an interview appointment. After you get US Visa, drive to nearby US airport to start your trip and return by driving back. Don't stay too long aboard. Avoid any pr card or prtd issue.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Sorry I didn't understand completely, I have a US visa for 10 years. How can I utilise it?
Staying in Canada and Wait your ro turns good then apply for renewal. If you need emergency trip out of Canada, use US as your bridge. Your trip to US at least the return back to Canada has to be passing through a land poe by private vehicle or on foot. Enter Canada by this way does not need a valid pr card. Keep your trip as short as possible.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured