+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to US on H1B on new Canadian Passport

wink

May 25, 2021
If the Canadian government was smart, they'd do a similar tax abroad system like the US does to make sure passport holders incur a penalty for moving
For some reason only handful of countries seem to be following this practice... US seems to be the only big country (economy-wise) doing this. Though it seems to be good strategy as for as a country's interest is concerned, but still many not doing it.. that makes me to think it may not be a smart idea, but don't understand why/how.

Reactions: vkamath

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
For some reason only handful of countries seem to be following this practice... US seems to be the only big country (economy-wise) doing this. Though it seems to be good strategy as for as a country's interest is concerned, but still many not doing it.. that makes me to think it may not be a smart idea, but don't understand why/how.
Even in the US, it only taxes income over 100k and you dont have to pay tax if you are also paying tax in the other country. ie no double taxation.

Reactions: Mounat

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Even in the US, it only taxes income over 100k and you dont have to pay tax if you are also paying tax in the other country. ie no double taxation.
And even then, lots of ways to game that (but you didn't hear this from me! :D)

Reactions: fr72

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Yes, is pathetic indeed and these people come to Canada for 3 years and then go abroad calling themselves Canadians. Anyways, its cringeworthy to me but each to their own. Btw, I am not a native born Canadian either I am an immigrant as well before you call start calling me every name under the sun

so how many years one has to spend in Canada before they can call themselves CanaDian ?

msaurora

Mar 21, 2023
I am currently living in Canada as PR and working in Michigan on H1B VISA ( Indian Passport) and commute back and forth twice a month. I will be soon eligible for Canadian citizenship, I have two concerns wondering if somebody can address and has experienced: -

1) Can a Canadian passport be applied with urgency based on the fact that my job is in Michigan and I travel frequently?
2) When I return to the USA on H1B for the first time with Canadian PP, what will be the experience? Will a new 94 be stamped on Canadian PP based on my I 797? Do I need to prepare something in advance or carry any specific documents?

Thank you
I am in a similar situation. Please advise if you had to file for H-1B amendment and Canadian passport again re-stamped for H-1b visa?

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
I am in a similar situation. Please advise if you had to file for H-1B amendment and Canadian passport again re-stamped for H-1b visa?

I am still a few weeks away, but an H-1B amendment will not be required- I have checked this with my lawyer.

No need for H1B stamp either- as a Canadian national you don't need a VISA ( you still need approved I-797 to get a I-94 at border crossing)