Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
I am currently living in Canada as PR and working in Michigan on H1B VISA ( Indian Passport) and commute back and forth twice a month. I will be soon eligible for Canadian citizenship, I have two concerns wondering if somebody can address and has experienced: -

1) Can a Canadian passport be applied with urgency based on the fact that my job is in Michigan and I travel frequently?
2) When I return to the USA on H1B for the first time with Canadian PP, what will be the experience? Will a new 94 be stamped on Canadian PP based on my I 797? Do I need to prepare something in advance or carry any specific documents?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am currently living in Canada as PR and working in Michigan on H1B VISA ( Indian Passport) and commute back and forth twice a month. I will be soon eligible for Canadian citizenship, I have two concerns wondering if somebody can address and has experienced: -

1) Can a Canadian passport be applied with urgency based on the fact that my job is in Michigan and I travel frequently?
2) When I return to the USA on H1B for the first time with Canadian PP, what will be the experience? Will a new 94 be stamped on Canadian PP based on my I 797? Do I need to prepare something in advance or carry any specific documents?

Thank you
1. No. Why would Canada make it easier for you to work in the US?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
1. No. Why would Canada make it easier for you to work in the US?
Wasn't the title says returning to US? I think OP doesn't mean he wants to continue commuting after getting citizenship but based on his current scenario, would he be given a urgent passport? Irrespective of the fact that he wants to go to work in US but he is still residing in Canada and has a commute history. I doubt, Canada would object on that scenario and not give him passport on urgent basis, it depends but there is nothing for them to delay or say no ! In many cases, passport was granted on urgent basis just that they had travel plans. I have seen 2 of my friends.

Reactions: Rawhide

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Wasn't the title says returning to US? I think OP doesn't mean he wants to continue commuting after getting citizenship but based on his current scenario, would he be given a urgent passport? Irrespective of the fact that he wants to go to work in US but he is still residing in Canada and has a commute history. I doubt, Canada would object on that scenario and not give him passport on urgent basis, it depends but there is nothing for them to delay or say no ! In many cases, passport was granted on urgent basis just that they had travel plans. I have seen 2 of my friends.
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why not? why would Canada have a problem with me bringing extra dough?
You pay primarily US taxes than Canadian taxes. For urgent processing you usually have to prove that you need to be Canadian in order to secure a job in Canada (usually due to security clearance), join the military, etc. Giving you a passport on an urgent basis to allow you to commute easier to work in the US isn’t a reason for urgent processing. You can apply but chances of approval are almost zero.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Because a Canadian citizen is entitled to a passport based on urgent travel needs. Why the travel is taking place is irrelevant.
wanting to make your commute to the US easier is not an urgent travel need. They have been able to commute to the US with their current passport.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
wanting to make your commute to the US easier is not an urgent travel need. They have been able to commute to the US with their current passport.
Yes it is an urgent travel need. So is going to Hawaii on vacation. The passport office does not ask the reason for travel. Just the timeline. Canadian citizens have the right to travel abroad with a Canadian passport.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes it is an urgent travel need. So is going to Hawaii on vacation. The passport office does not ask the reason for travel. Just the timeline. Canadian citizens have the right to travel abroad with a Canadian passport.
Going to Hawaii is not an urgent travel need when you already have a passport. If you have lost your Canadian passport and have a trip planned you can get urgent processing to replace your passport if the trip is imminent. If you are abroad and lose your passport you can apply for urgent processing and get an emergency travel document. OP is not a citizen yet. They are asking for urgent processing of their citizenshio application to make their commute to Michigan, that they are currently doing on their home country passport, easier. That is not a reason for urgent processing.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Going to Hawaii is not an urgent travel need when you already have a passport. If you have lost your Canadian passport and have a trip planned you can get urgent processing to replace your passport if the trip is imminent. If you are abroad and lose your passport you can apply for urgent processing and get an emergency travel document. OP is not a citizen yet. They are asking for urgent processing of their citizenshio application to make their commute to Michigan, that they are currently doing on their home country passport, easier. That is not a reason for urgent processing.
He asked for 'passport' after becoming a citizen. Which he is entitled to once he is a citizen. Regardless of reason for travel or possession of any other passport.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He asked for 'passport' after becoming a citizen. Which he is entitled to once he is a citizen. Regardless of reason for travel or possession of any other passport.
OP can clarify but I believe they are asking for urgent processing of their citizenship application. You get a passport relatively quickly after you receive citizenship.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
OP can clarify but I believe they are asking for urgent processing of their citizenship application. You get a passport relatively quickly after you receive citizenship.
He is clearly asking about 'passport'. See his 2nd question which is also about the passport. No, you dont get a passport quickly. It was taking months at least when I applied. Which is why I and the other poster told him to show an upcoming travel and apply for an urgent passport.

I dont immediately jump to negative conclusions about people on this forum.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Just to clarify….once I take oath I can’t travel on old Indian passport and being a cross border worker I must travel on weekly/monthly basis to keep providing for family. If this is not urgent then nothing is.

Reactions: fr72