+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to US on H1B on new Canadian Passport

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Thank you, I am an H1B VISA holder since 2012 so I am not planning to use TN VISA ( I find it restrictive while changing jobs). I just plan to keep on extending my H1B VISA.
I did the TN/H1B tour over the years but was always ready to return home to Canada until I married an American and settled here somewhat long term. But not a year goes by, given the conditions here in America, that I don't think about packing up and going home. A lot of factors go into where we end up, why and for how long. C'est la vie.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Some here are rightly arguing, rather clumsily, that using Canada as a staging area to move to the US (or elsewhere) shortly after acquiring Canadian citizenship might be legal but is in poor taste. I agree with this if the intention all along was to acquire Canadian citizenship solely to find an easier path to the US.
I applaud your general spirit, but feel the need to correct you here. For most people, Canada is not a stepping stone to the US. Most people who are accused of using Canada as a 'stepping stone' are in the IT field. The TN visa does not have Software Engineers in the list of occupations. Some are able to sneak through using clever lawyers, but its not a reliable route.

Now, what people actually do is use Canada as a 'backup'. If their US dream fails, they would rather settle in Canada than go back to their developing country. I think thats perfectly reasonable, but may hurt some nationalistic Canadian's pride.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
I applaud your general spirit, but feel the need to correct you here. For most people, Canada is not a stepping stone to the US. Most people who are accused of using Canada as a 'stepping stone' are in the IT field. The TN visa does not have Software Engineers in the list of occupations. Some are able to sneak through using clever lawyers, but its not a reliable route.

Now, what people actually do is use Canada as a 'backup'. If their US dream fails, they would rather settle in Canada than go back to their developing country. I think thats perfectly reasonable, but may hurt some nationalistic Canadian's pride.
Using Canada as a backup sounds even more depressing than using it as a stepping stone. And I'm far from being a nationalist. But I still understand, and may even sympathize with, the desire to do this.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Using Canada as a backup sounds even more depressing than using it as a stepping stone. And I'm far from being a nationalist. But I still understand, and may even sympathize with, the desire to do this.
Thats the reality Im afraid. Immigration is not charity that a country does to help poor nations. Canada needs immigrants to prop up its welfare system and to have a big enough market for companies to invest in. Immigrants donot have any special love for US/Canada, whatever. Its a business transaction. Taxes/money/work from immigrants in exchange of a strong passport/security, etc. For most immigrants, US is a better deal and the US knows it. Which is why they have a higher bar for immigration. Canada knows its a backup and therefore, its a lower bar from them.

Reactions: Rawhide

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Thats the reality Im afraid. Immigration is not charity that a country does to help poor nations. Canada needs immigrants to prop up its welfare system and to have a big enough market for companies to invest in. Immigrants donot have any special love for US/Canada, whatever. Its a business transaction. Taxes/money/work from immigrants in exchange of a strong passport/security, etc. For most immigrants, US is a better deal and the US knows it. Which is why they have a higher bar for immigration. Canada knows its a backup and therefore, its a lower bar from them.
Not sure I agree with what you wrote about higher bar of immigration or large swaths of immigrants preferring one country or the other. There's anecdotal evidence to support what you say and herd mentality does exist but, I believe every decision to immigrate is personal and individual. It's not as clear cut as you say but far more nuanced. But we're largely on the same page.

Reactions: fr72

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Yes, is pathetic indeed and these people come to Canada for 3 years and then go abroad calling themselves Canadians. Anyways, its cringeworthy to me but each to their own. Btw, I am not a native born Canadian either I am an immigrant as well before you call start calling me every name under the sun

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Yes, is pathetic indeed and these people come to Canada for 3 years and then go abroad calling themselves Canadians. Anyways, its cringeworthy to me but each to their own. Btw, I am not a native born Canadian either I am an immigrant as well before you call start calling me every name under the sun
So what should they call themselves when abroad? And how many years should one spend in Canada before moving abroad and gaining the privilege of calling themselves Canadian? (No need to answer. These are rhetorical questions.)

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
So what should they call themselves when abroad? And how many years should one spend in Canada before moving abroad and gaining the privilege of calling themselves Canadian? (No need to answer. These are rhetorical questions.)
That's a very complex sociological question. Usually the answer is where one spent the majority of their life but may not always be true. I.e. if one is child who grew up in Thailand to french expats but when to a French school, you won't consider than child, Thai

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular but making a reference to intention. You have every right to move wherever you wish without any recrimination or having to provide any justification. And yes, being a Canadian citizen provides extra advantages for going to the USA. There are employment visas, namely TN, that are only available to Canadians. But that's neither here nor there.

Good luck.
They might make changes to TN any minute. Who knows! Definitely, the H1b holders wouldn't chose the TN path as long as their H1b is in good standing. And its mostly people who immigrated to Canada and are citizens do take that route. H1bs are here mainly for a safety if something goes wrong on immigration side with US.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Lol, isn't this something both the immigration systems would bother and their paths to Citizenship! We are just players here.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
Canada is a great country but the pay here is less than what is available in US. Now the US immigration system is unfair especially to Indian people who if were employed in Canada would get high points and ITA in PNP/Express entry.

The tech industry is growing now in Vancouver/Toronoto/Ottawa/Montreal but earlier it was not so.

Most immigrants buy a house/start a family after getting a PR and i dont think its wrong to look for ways to pay of your loans. The lower taxes in US allows many to do that.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
You are free to vote for a party that will make the requirement 20 years for citizenship. Until then, people will continue to do what you find cringeworthy.

Reactions: vkamath

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
You are free to vote for a party that will make the requirement 20 years for citizenship. Until then, people will continue to do what you find cringeworthy.
Lol it's fine I don't care. I will also get my passport and move the f on like everyone else here. If the Canadian government was smart, they'd do a similar tax abroad system like the US does to make sure passport holders incur a penalty for moving abroad but hey I'm just a dumb immigrant

Reactions: vkamath

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Lol it's fine I don't care. I will also get my passport and move the f on like everyone else here. If the Canadian government was smart, they'd do a similar tax abroad system like the US does to make sure passport holders incur a penalty for moving abroad but hey I'm just a dumb immigrant
You can vote for that too!