+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to US on H1B on new Canadian Passport

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Just to clarify….once I take oath I can’t travel on old Indian passport and being a cross border worker I must travel on weekly/monthly basis to keep providing for family. If this is not urgent then nothing is.
You can get passport in a week time. I have heard people getting passport in 2 days as well in similar scenarios.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Yes you can upto 3 months. See table in section 4 Eservices India

Just to clarify….once I take oath I can’t travel on old Indian passport and being a cross border worker I must travel on weekly/monthly basis to keep providing for family. If this is not urgent then nothing is.

Reactions: Rawhide

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Yes you can upto 3 months. See table in section 4 Eservices India
This is great information, thank you so much. Another related question, while pr card will be destroyed, can I still come back to Canada using land border with Indian passport and CoPr ?

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
not sure, you’re much ahead in your journey than I am. I would assume having your certificate on you would allow entry through land border.

This is great information, thank you so much. Another related question, while pr card will be destroyed, can I still come back to Canada using land border with Indian passport and CoPr ?

palak.pandya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
I went through this process last year.

After getting Citizenship certificate, you can go to passport office, show your proof or work address and you will be eligible to get the urgent passport in 2 days.
When you enter the first time on the Canadian passport, they will transfer the H1b on the Canadian passport. It's straightforward, but be prepared to be called in the first time you enter.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018

After getting Citizenship certificate, you can go to passport office, show your proof or work address and you will be eligible to get the urgent passport in 2 days.
When you enter the first time on the Canadian passport, they will transfer the H1b on the Canadian passport. It's straightforward, but be prepared to be called in the first time you enter.

Thank you so much for adding this comment,

Feb 5, 2023
did u or anyone here do a total of 2 years for Canada PR renewal either daily or regular commute and renewed their PR or Also gotten their citizenship? Share thoughts and experiences if this is possible without issues.

sentraj

Nov 16, 2016
PLEASE HELP.

My wife and daughter's H1/H4 application is refused and asked to come for an in-person interview.

It's available only in Apr 4th, could you please help suggest the ways you all have used to expedite the process.

OR ANY ONE HAS EARLIER APPOINTMENT that I can use.

You CAN reach me at skrbhuvani@gmail.com

PLEASE HELP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Although it may be an issue for you, you needing to keep working in the US is not seen as an urgent matter for Canada. Canada is not going to prioritize processing for people leaving Canada. Prioritization will benefit Canadian businesses. For exceptional circumstances like travel due to a death in the family or serious medical emergency.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PLEASE HELP.

My wife and daughter's H1/H4 application is refused and asked to come for an in-person interview.

It's available only in Apr 4th, could you please help suggest the ways you all have used to expedite the process.

OR ANY ONE HAS EARLIER APPOINTMENT that I can use.

You CAN reach me at skrbhuvani@gmail.com

PLEASE HELP.
If you are living in Canada then they won’t get approved for H4. You can try other locations in Canada and you’d have to fly there and look for cancellations. There are many trying to get secure earlier interview times unfortunately.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
did u or anyone here do a total of 2 years for Canada PR renewal either daily or regular commute and renewed their PR or Also gotten their citizenship? Share thoughts and experiences if this is possible without issues.

We will find out in a few months. I have received AOR for Canadian citizenship.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018

Thank you so much for the clarity. This really helps,

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Although it may be an issue for you, you needing to keep working in the US is not seen as an urgent matter for Canada. Canada is not going to prioritize processing for people leaving Canada. Prioritization will benefit Canadian businesses. For exceptional circumstances like travel due to a death in the family or serious medical emergency.
wrong again.