+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RESIDENCE QUESTIONNAIRE

uncanny

Jun 12, 2013
dePrince said:
Hi uncanny,

I provided my consent with the citizenship application on the form which I sent them in October 2012.

U.
Thanks for letting us know dePrince. It is quite surprising why you got RQ then. Like they could have just checked your entries list.
Do you have any idea why you may have got RQ? I heard they sometimes provide a cover letter where they mention the reason too.

But even if they didnt. Do you have any idea why? Like unemployment, travel, absences etc?

dePrince

Jul 18, 2013
Hi Uncanny,

I have travelled twice during the relevant four year time frame for annual vacation, and I have changed 6 addresses in 4 years. Thats probably whats prompting it. Also, I was unemployed for 7 months during that 4 year window.

Again, I will try to send them as many documents as I possibly can and will keep my fingers crossed.

Regards,

U.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
uncanny said:
Thanks for letting us know dePrince. It is quite surprising why you got RQ then. Like they could have just checked your entries list.
Do you have any idea why you may have got RQ? I heard they sometimes provide a cover letter where they mention the reason too.
I don't believe that providing the CBSA consent on the citizenship application has much bearing on whether one gets an RQ or not.

Regarding what triggers RQs, applicants rarely know why they got an RQ because of the CIC's opacity on this issue. Since OB407 (May 2012) the CIC has largely used a boilerplate cover letter with no indications as to their specific concerns. Pre-OB 407 it was more common for the CIC to include directives or requests in the RQ cover letter which might have indicated what triggered the RQ.

The only information we have about specific RQ triggers comes from an ATIP release previously redacted from the ATIP release of OB 407. http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/

sirgiyan

Aug 30, 2013
Hi there.
I think I can provide you all with some tips on the bigger picture concerning RQs. (Just to clear that out - I have received mine 3 months ago.)
First of all, you have to understand one major thing. You see, in good times (prior to 2008-2009) the whole process was much easier for the only reason - the whole world (Canada included) was thriving on the last bubble capitalism has presented us with - namely the housing bubble. Nobody minded even some fraud here and there to obtain Canadian citizenship. Why bother if economy is good and everyone is needed in the world of perpetual growth.
Make no mistake here, powers that be know exactly what is coming and it's no good, trust me. I don't want to be off topic here so I'll just cut it short - the bubble here is about to pop big time. It can't be avoided and you can't even imagine how much does Canadian economy depends upon housing. At least twice as much as US, not to mention that Canada depends economically upon US big time.
Now back to the topic.
On one hand, Canada has some obligations towards those millions of immigrants who has already entered the country. Health care for instance. But they know damn well, that within 2 -5 years they would be unable to keep up to all those obligations and there is huge potential even for civil unrest here.
On the other hand, according to law all us landed immigrants are good to become citizens if we do not commit any crime and stay here long enough. Period. End of story. Even if you were not working here for a single day it doesn't affect your right to become a citizen.

So given the upcoming "sh1t hits the fan" event they are eager to kick as much of us from the country as they can. They can't do it right away legally but they are desperate to. Solution? - if you are in this thread you know it already. They delay process as much as they can. Ever wondered why don't they have concrete deadlines for reviewing RQs? Here is your answer - they pray that you'll say "screw it!" and leave. That is the only legal remedy they have. Another side effect is that people on the hook are unlikely to make much noise (if any) in case of any further hardship. Catch my drift? We were needed here 5-6 years ago but not any longer.
Now let's be more specific as to what should you do, or rather what you should not.
1) Do not bother them with calls or anything. This f@cked up system is based on the assumption that if you have settled yourself here you wouldn't be very nervous about your citizenship. It is an easy concept to understand: if you work here, have your income, your family, your home why exactly you are not satisfied with PR status? Voting? Give me a break! You can spend at least 7 months a year elsewhere. What more? On the other hand it you are nervous - this feeds their hopes that you might leave saying "screw it" (exactly what they want from you) so you are the sweet client (if you know what I mean) and a little push (say 1 year more of waiting) might easily kick you out. Remember they use your emotions against you.
2) Do not bother yourself with much of a paperwork preparing your RQ. Don't get me wrong here - please collect enough to prove each and every week and date you claim you lived here. But let us see an example: you have your passports, your lease agreements for the whole period and your bank statements and nothing else. That is more than enough. Why bother collecting OHIP history for instance if you never visited a doctor? We are mostly young here, you know... What "other tires" does the law require to have? Going to church - what if you are an atheist. Or (more likely) you believe in God but you never ever wish to show it off? And so on and so forth... Just provide enough solid evidence that you live here for the period in question and relax.
Bottom line, if they had any legal reason to refuse your application you would know it soon enough. The only reason your oath ceremony is postponed - they do NOT have any reason to refuse you. Their only hope is that you refuse it yourself which would further prove that you never intended to live here in the first place. If you are serious about living here - you have your PR which is more than enough fro everything.
So stay cool, prepare for the worst and remember they would LOVE us all to say "screw it and leave". I do not plan to do them that favor. I'm cool as is.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sirgiyan,

That's some chutzpah right there!! Legally until an applicant files a successful writ of mandamus there really is no remedy for RQ! CIC quote 35 months for non-routine timeline...that there is setting up for any legal proceedings. This coupled with a move towards one time notices ups the ante - if only ecas was reliable but then that may just give a heads up to that applicant hanging out somewhere other than Canada!

holySinner

Nov 16, 2011
Msafiri;

For RQ applicants from what date does this 35 months starts from? is the application filing date or the RQ submission date? I would appreciate your answer as this is taking ever even after the RQ submission. For me its already been 24 months after RQ submission.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
holySinner said:
Msafiri;

For RQ applicants from what date does this 35 months starts from? is the application filing date or the RQ submission date? I would appreciate your answer as this is taking ever even after the RQ submission. For me its already been 24 months after RQ submission.
It's 35 months for the RQ and 18-24 months for the rest of the application.

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
holySinner said:
Msafiri;

I think that the 35 months start from the application received date. Because when they gave us period they start from the application received day.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
askj said:
Can I hand delivery back the RQ to CIC (Scarborough)? if so, what's the address?
No. I don't believe that any of the offices accept walk-in visits or deliveries anymore.

whitelast

Sep 6, 2013
My question is I have submitted my RQ last year august 2012, havent heard anything ,still processing but I found out that I didnt submitt them health record info from OHIP and travel info because when I called respective agencies they told me it may take 4-6 weeks.I honestly was very close to 45 day dead line and so I submitted my file without those informations.Although I have submitted everything else eg. volunteer experience letter,Notice of assessments,bank statement,vaccination report from my md,passport copy etc) . But today when I was going through this forum I found many people stress on that to submit.

PLease help me that Its almost a year after submitting file , Is it too late to request those paper and submit to CIC??

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should try to figure out the current status of your application. Have you tried calling CIC call center?

whitelast said:
My question is I have submitted my RQ last year august 2012, havent heard anything ,still processing but I found out that I didnt submitt them health record info from OHIP and travel info because when I called respective agencies they told me it may take 4-6 weeks.I honestly was very close to 45 day dead line and so I submitted my file without those informations.Although I have submitted everything else eg. volunteer experience letter,Notice of assessments,bank statement,vaccination report from my md,passport copy etc) . But today when I was going through this forum I found many people stress on that to submit.

PLease help me that Its almost a year after submitting file , Is it too late to request those paper and submit to CIC??