+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal Of PR under special consideration.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you travel alone and you alone get reported, you only have to appeal for yourself. If your wife joins you later and she gets reported, she will appeal for herself. If your wife doesn't get reported, she can stay for 2 years and her PR will be in good standing again.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the clarification. However it's strange to learn that the immigration would treat each family member differently if they are entering at different times and their fates could be different.

Thanks a ton again for clarifying so many doubts helping me get my facts together. So many questions keep arising in our minds as the discussions go by. Its great to have you guys on the forum to have all those doubts clarified before making final decisions.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are not that many cases like this to really say for sure what would happen but ultimately it is up to the IO to decide if they report someone.

If they don't report you when you enter but report your wife when she enters, I am not sure if immigration would then use the opportunity to check your status as well. Maybe they wouldn't.

If you were reported on entry and your wife arrives later, it is possible that there is a flag in the system telling the IO that her husband entered on date x and was reported and that may cause them to take a closer look at her. However, it is not a given that husband and wife are always in the same country and in many cases it happens that one meets the RO and the other doesn't so it is possible that they have no such automatic checks.

If they have no such checks, then it is up to the IO in both cases to notice and to make a decision. One of you might get lucky with an IO who listens to your story and decides not to report you.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If they don't report you when you enter but report your wife when she enters, I am not sure if immigration would then use the opportunity to check your status as well. Maybe they wouldn't.
This is the scary part when I say " I will not be sure of my fate" if I let my family enter later, after I do. Yes, my case if a bit different and I am sure this thread has helped the other readers as well to understand the complexities of PR obligations...

Eventually it will all depend on my luck and the mood of the IO at the time of entry and I just have to be positive and confident in explaining to them my case to avoid reporting... :)

Since we are not sure if immigration has any cross checking method in their system, I wouldn't take the risk of having my family travel later. But if I get to know, that if I get through, my family can also enter as well without getting reported, then I would certainly have them travel later. I would really appreciate if you could also let me know on this, just in case if you get some information on this kind of a situation.

Under the circumstances and keeping in mind our recent discussions, I think I will travel alone for now....

Thanks a ton Leon... God Bless!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you get through without getting reported, there is no guarantee that your wife will not be reported if she enters later on.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I understand... :) Thanks for cautioning me though. I wish there was some kind of a system where my family could enter later after me if I was lucky enough to clear without getting reported and we could all fulfill the RO together. Sadly that is not the case.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon

Had to get back to the discussion with a different question this time after reading some very disturbing posts with regards to the lead time on issuing the renewed PR card. Had to resort to your help once again!

I was under the impression that it takes around 3-4 months to get a renewed PR card once the RO is fulfilled. But I came across rather extremely disturbing posts where in some cases it seems the issuing of the PR cards were delayed way beyond this time frame and they were asked to wait for as long as 24 - 36 months.... Wow! That's scary!.

Could you please please tell me:

-What is the normal time frame within which one gets a renewed PR card?
-What could be the causes in cases where people have waited for more than 5-6 months OR have been asked to wait for another 24-36 months?
-Is it something to do with forwarding irrelevant or wrong documents with the application? Could this be a reason?

I am sorry to hassle you with my questions, but all I am trying to do is be aware of the worst case scenario, and I believe that you are one of the few people of the forum who seem to have in depth knowledge on such issues.

Apart from Leon, advises and inputs from anyone on the forum would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...!!! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Suavemec said:
I was under the impression that it takes around 3-4 months to get a renewed PR card once the RO is fulfilled. But I came across rather extremely disturbing posts where in some cases it seems the issuing of the PR cards were delayed way beyond this time frame and they were asked to wait for as long as 24 - 36 months.... Wow! That's scary!.
I"m pretty sure you're confusion citizenship processing times with PR card processing times. Current citizenship processing times are around 2 years. However if there is a problem with the application, it can take 3 years or more.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Scylla,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Yes I do understand the wait period for the citizenship is 2-3 years.

I am not confused and I am referring to a case under discussion titled "PR Card Renewal - Timeline" that was started by a user by the name "Moe". It was under this discussion that I stumbled across a case where the applicant had not fulfilled the RO, but later stayed for 730 plus days and applied for a renewed PR card. The card was delayed in this case for unknown reasons and upon inquiring, the applicant was asked by CIC to wait for 24 - 36 months.

It was this post that compelled me to write again as It's scary...

I will be attempting to return back without fulfilling the RO and without getting reported, plan to stay put for another solid 730 plus days (If I am lucky to getaway without getting reported) and have my PR card renewed. Will the wait period in my case also be the same as others if my documents are clear. Can I expect to have a renewed PR card within 3-4 months then?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's a normal PR renewal application where you meet the residency obligation so it should not take any longer than normal.

rg2012

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All good advice, so I don't want to add anything more.

I just wanted to say "Good luck!". Its good to see people who would sacrifice/give up their comforts life for a family member (your nephew). Hope things work out for you.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon / rg2012 - Thanks guys.

You bet! I need tons of luck and I am just being positive hoping I will land without getting reported (unless my luck gives up...).

Leon - As always its comforting to read your reply, and I presume I should also be able to have my PR status renewed as well in the 3-4 months time UNLESS there are some kind of drastic changes in the laws, of which no one knows. I have to go by the plans I have made and time frames play a crucial factor to get united together.

I was disturbed after reading a couple of posts on the PR renewal lead times and required some kind of an expert advise to further confirm my understanding.

Thanks again!

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Leon, Scylla, Msafiri

Need your valuable inputs and advises as there seem to be no end to the tough times we have been going through. I was suppose to leave in the first week of April but due to some delays and hitches it was postponed to 5th May.

But once again due to some unforeseen issues, some related to my Nephew and some with personal finance, my departure will be delayed for another 2-3 months. That is I will be in the position to leave only by end July or so, once my brother returns. Besides my Mother who is 75 years old has been unwell from the past one year requiring my attention. Considering my PR card expiry that falls on 6th April 2015, I will have just around 8 months remaining before it expires.

Leon, you already know my case history. Do you feel my chances of making it through the immigration without getting reported will be any worse OR it won't make much of a difference. I know questions will be raised for an increase period of time spent away.

I feel I will have lesser chances of convincing the Immigration officer with just 8 months in hand than the earlier situation where I had a year in hand.

Please please kindly advise as I feel my hopes are getting dimmer and dimmer by each passing day and I need to know if any of you have come across a case where people where allowed with this kind of time frame on H&C grounds.

As always your expert advises would be of great help and highly appreciated...

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In my opinion, the risk of getting reported increases somewhat in proportion to how long you have left on your PR card but from what you say, there is nothing you can do about that so you will have to do what you have to do, go when you are ready and hope for the best.

If they ask you why you were outside so long, you can say you were taking care of your ageing mother and now your brother has taken your place which would be true. You may not have proof of it but it could convince an immigration officer not to report you.

Suavemec

Dec 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon,
I agree with you. The curiosity of the IO will certainly increase with the increased amount of time spent out, but its also true that one has to do what is necessary especially something like taking care of an ageing parent. I do have her treatment papers that I can also show to the IO and hope for the best, to clear without problems.
Thanks Leon! Hope luck favors this one time me and I clear immigration.
God Bless!