+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refused Study Permit for 2nd Time ... Please Help

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Had you already partially paid for your college? I also applied for Creative Advertising at Seneca. I’m 29 and have previous 8 years of experience in the field. Still waiting on the visa.
Yes, have already paid 1 year's tuition.

noelvictoria

Mar 24, 2019
Is this so? But the visa officer didn't mention anything about home ties in the GCMS notes, only the program I was taking.
I applied with my wife (OWP) and my 2 kids (tourist) and we were all approved. It doesn't mean that if you apply with your family, you will be denied since it shows that you won't be coming back. It is not a written rule that you can't bring your family, but it does help if they are left in your home country. It gives you more reason to go back home.

Reactions: Uvr and eagerly

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
I applied with my wife (OWP) and my 2 kids (tourist) and we were all approved. It doesn't mean that if you apply with your family, you will be denied since it shows that you won't be coming back. It is not a written rule that you can't bring your family, but it does help if they are left in your home country. It gives you more reason to go back home.
Thank you!

pirooz24

Oct 26, 2019
For reference, this was the SOP I submitted, answering the refusal (which also got rejected):

"Dear Visa Officer,

Good day!

I am writing to you today regarding my reapplication for my study permit in Canada. I was previously refused for the study permit in Canada, with the visa officer providing the following reasons:

Kindly allow me to address each reason in detail:

“Applicant’s motivation to pursue studies in Canada at this point does not seem reasonable.”
In a highly competitive industry such as web content production, being competent in language skills is necessary in order to be at the top of your game. By choosing to study in Canada, I am availing one of the most affordable educational programs which is of the highest global quality.

Being also one of the friendliest countries on earth, the environment in Canada is conducive for learning. I have been to the country before, especially to Toronto. I have also gone to other countries like the United States and other countries in Asia as a tourist. However, compared to these other countries, Canada holds the upper hand, as I saw for myself how much more pleasant the environment is for studying; and because of the diversity of its population.

I also chose Canada because of its edge in advertising. I have come upon these particular figures that attest to this:

- In 2016, the Canadian advertising industry was found to be 10th on the advertising global scale, with an estimated expenditure of $9.14 billion CAD for that year.
- Internet in Canada continues to hold the biggest share of advertising revenues as of 2015, 9.8 percent larger than the TV segment.
- The Canadian industry is seen to go up at 5.2% in 2019.

I will be learning more about the industry alongside students from different parts of the world. By networking with them, I will be able to create a truly global network of colleagues that will serve me well in my future endeavors.

Lastly, as schools such as Seneca invite people at the forefront of Canada’s globally leading advertising industry to lecture or speak to their students, I would like to be able to experience it myself. I also aim to impart this knowledge to my countrymen upon my return from my studies.

I chose Seneca in particular as their Advertising program was the most intuitive among other schools in Toronto. Other factors which drove me to choose Seneca are 1) its combination of practical experience with comprehensive theory, 2) world class instructors and 3) state-of-the-art facilities.

“Applicant completed Bachelor of Science Communications Technology Management in 2002 and work experience since then in the same field and applicant’s intention to study in Canada at the college level.”

The degree that I completed is a hybrid of three disciplines: Communication Arts, Information Technology and Business Management. It tackled general aspects of each discipline, and I was not able to have an in-depth discussion on Communication Arts, which is the discipline I am most passionate about.

In taking up Creative Advertising, I will be able to get a holistic understanding of how advertising works: from the conceptualization of the idea, to the writing and designing of the ad, to the presentation to the client. Each course in my subject breaks down each of these processes. I was not able to learn these in my past degree; I originally wanted to get into the advertising industry from when I graduated, but I was not able to do so because I did not have major subjects in advertising at that time.

With this new opportunity, I will not only be able to learn subjects that I didn’t learn before—I will also learn updated versions of them, and at a standard higher than in any Philippine school. So the Creative Advertising program is an advancement compared to what I learned in my schooling prior to that.

“Motivation to pursue studies in Canada at this point does not appear reasonable given that a course is offered in their home country.”

While there are Communication Arts programs offered throughout the Philippines, the program “Creative Advertising” per se is not offered. The program that I have chosen in Seneca College centers on Advertising, and Advertising only. Alternatively, taking another Communications Arts program in the Philippines would be redundant and would only touch upon very general concepts. Meanwhile, the Seneca College will go direct to the point and teach you advertising in its purest form.

Advertising was a subject I didn’t fully study when I was in in my undergraduate program, and it is only being discussed here in more detail. By learning extra subjects in advertising, I will be fully equipped with the knowledge to become very persuasive in my craft.

I have also been mostly exposed to the writing side of advertising—through this subject I will be able to learn the very technical side of it, and also learn new techniques, such as being a visual advertiser through graphic design.

The difference of these subjects offered in Canada compared to that being taught in the Philippines is that they teach them at a higher global standard, and in pure English, in order to cater to an international audience. So far, the Philippines subjects in advertising only focuses on local brands of advertising, and are not as updated as what is offered in Canada, with Canada’s proximity to the US and the rest of the Western world considered.

In comparison, my degree has only touched upon three advertising subjects, so I was not able to fully grasp the subject in my undergraduate period. In addition, since advertising processes have evolved over time, especially with the influx of a more digital-based form of communication, learning these subjects will offer me new knowledge on the subjects, thus making me more competent in today’s environment.

“The applicant has failed to satisfy me that the course of studies is reasonable in Canada given weighted against the potential career/employment benefits.”

The advantage of studying these advertising courses in Canada (especially Toronto) is because it is based in the Western World, which is the epicenter of global advertising. Their techniques are way ahead of what education in the Philippines has to offer. On top of that, its multicultural environment and student population will encourage a richer sharing of ideas, and will give me an edge when it comes to networking.

My exposure to the Canadian environment will help stay highly competitive. For example, a person with a Canadian degree in advertising/marketing will immediately be hired at a supervisor level compared to a Philippines degree holder. There is also great potential for supervisory position employment in the Philippines, especially with many BPOs coming in from Canada and the US. I also will not leave the Philippines behind, especially since my parents also need me, as they are already in their 70s and require me to manage our family businesses and properties, which are continually bringing in income.

“Applicant’s study plan submitted is general and does not outline a clear career path for which such an educational program would be of benefit.”

Once I am done with the program, I will return to the Philippines, and either pursue a career in traditional advertising, or go back to digital marketing, and apply for a supervisory position.

Right now, I am in an entry position and my aim is to reach the managerial level in digital content production in a multinational company. My aim, once I come back from the Philippines, is to use my newly acquired education to apply to become a digital content manager or digital community manager in top multinational companies in the Philippines.

The digital marketing industry has many openings for this job in the Philippines at the moment. At that time, my newly-obtained global standard credentials will enable to apply for a high paying, senior level job.The program which I have chosen augurs well to these career prospects, as described on the website.

In the long term, after working up to the managerial position and acquainting myself more with the processes of digital content production, I eventually will branch out on my own and start my very own company in the same field, using , to an equal degree, the knowledge I have acquired from my education in Canada, and the knowledge I have acquired from my professional experience before and after my studies in Canada.

(cont.)
Can you please share your timeline? for both of your applications.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
For reference, this was the SOP I submitted, answering the refusal (which also got rejected):

"Dear Visa Officer,

Good day!

I am writing to you today regarding my reapplication for my study permit in Canada. I was previously refused for the study permit in Canada, with the visa officer providing the following reasons:

Kindly allow me to address each reason in detail:

“Applicant’s motivation to pursue studies in Canada at this point does not seem reasonable.”
In a highly competitive industry such as web content production, being competent in language skills is necessary in order to be at the top of your game. By choosing to study in Canada, I am availing one of the most affordable educational programs which is of the highest global quality.

Being also one of the friendliest countries on earth, the environment in Canada is conducive for learning. I have been to the country before, especially to Toronto. I have also gone to other countries like the United States and other countries in Asia as a tourist. However, compared to these other countries, Canada holds the upper hand, as I saw for myself how much more pleasant the environment is for studying; and because of the diversity of its population.

I also chose Canada because of its edge in advertising. I have come upon these particular figures that attest to this:

- In 2016, the Canadian advertising industry was found to be 10th on the advertising global scale, with an estimated expenditure of $9.14 billion CAD for that year.
- Internet in Canada continues to hold the biggest share of advertising revenues as of 2015, 9.8 percent larger than the TV segment.
- The Canadian industry is seen to go up at 5.2% in 2019.

I will be learning more about the industry alongside students from different parts of the world. By networking with them, I will be able to create a truly global network of colleagues that will serve me well in my future endeavors.

Lastly, as schools such as Seneca invite people at the forefront of Canada’s globally leading advertising industry to lecture or speak to their students, I would like to be able to experience it myself. I also aim to impart this knowledge to my countrymen upon my return from my studies.

I chose Seneca in particular as their Advertising program was the most intuitive among other schools in Toronto. Other factors which drove me to choose Seneca are 1) its combination of practical experience with comprehensive theory, 2) world class instructors and 3) state-of-the-art facilities.

“Applicant completed Bachelor of Science Communications Technology Management in 2002 and work experience since then in the same field and applicant’s intention to study in Canada at the college level.”

The degree that I completed is a hybrid of three disciplines: Communication Arts, Information Technology and Business Management. It tackled general aspects of each discipline, and I was not able to have an in-depth discussion on Communication Arts, which is the discipline I am most passionate about.

In taking up Creative Advertising, I will be able to get a holistic understanding of how advertising works: from the conceptualization of the idea, to the writing and designing of the ad, to the presentation to the client. Each course in my subject breaks down each of these processes. I was not able to learn these in my past degree; I originally wanted to get into the advertising industry from when I graduated, but I was not able to do so because I did not have major subjects in advertising at that time.

With this new opportunity, I will not only be able to learn subjects that I didn’t learn before—I will also learn updated versions of them, and at a standard higher than in any Philippine school. So the Creative Advertising program is an advancement compared to what I learned in my schooling prior to that.

“Motivation to pursue studies in Canada at this point does not appear reasonable given that a course is offered in their home country.”

While there are Communication Arts programs offered throughout the Philippines, the program “Creative Advertising” per se is not offered. The program that I have chosen in Seneca College centers on Advertising, and Advertising only. Alternatively, taking another Communications Arts program in the Philippines would be redundant and would only touch upon very general concepts. Meanwhile, the Seneca College will go direct to the point and teach you advertising in its purest form.

Advertising was a subject I didn’t fully study when I was in in my undergraduate program, and it is only being discussed here in more detail. By learning extra subjects in advertising, I will be fully equipped with the knowledge to become very persuasive in my craft.

I have also been mostly exposed to the writing side of advertising—through this subject I will be able to learn the very technical side of it, and also learn new techniques, such as being a visual advertiser through graphic design.

The difference of these subjects offered in Canada compared to that being taught in the Philippines is that they teach them at a higher global standard, and in pure English, in order to cater to an international audience. So far, the Philippines subjects in advertising only focuses on local brands of advertising, and are not as updated as what is offered in Canada, with Canada’s proximity to the US and the rest of the Western world considered.

In comparison, my degree has only touched upon three advertising subjects, so I was not able to fully grasp the subject in my undergraduate period. In addition, since advertising processes have evolved over time, especially with the influx of a more digital-based form of communication, learning these subjects will offer me new knowledge on the subjects, thus making me more competent in today’s environment.

“The applicant has failed to satisfy me that the course of studies is reasonable in Canada given weighted against the potential career/employment benefits.”

The advantage of studying these advertising courses in Canada (especially Toronto) is because it is based in the Western World, which is the epicenter of global advertising. Their techniques are way ahead of what education in the Philippines has to offer. On top of that, its multicultural environment and student population will encourage a richer sharing of ideas, and will give me an edge when it comes to networking.

My exposure to the Canadian environment will help stay highly competitive. For example, a person with a Canadian degree in advertising/marketing will immediately be hired at a supervisor level compared to a Philippines degree holder. There is also great potential for supervisory position employment in the Philippines, especially with many BPOs coming in from Canada and the US. I also will not leave the Philippines behind, especially since my parents also need me, as they are already in their 70s and require me to manage our family businesses and properties, which are continually bringing in income.

“Applicant’s study plan submitted is general and does not outline a clear career path for which such an educational program would be of benefit.”

Once I am done with the program, I will return to the Philippines, and either pursue a career in traditional advertising, or go back to digital marketing, and apply for a supervisory position.

Right now, I am in an entry position and my aim is to reach the managerial level in digital content production in a multinational company. My aim, once I come back from the Philippines, is to use my newly acquired education to apply to become a digital content manager or digital community manager in top multinational companies in the Philippines.

The digital marketing industry has many openings for this job in the Philippines at the moment. At that time, my newly-obtained global standard credentials will enable to apply for a high paying, senior level job.The program which I have chosen augurs well to these career prospects, as described on the website.

In the long term, after working up to the managerial position and acquainting myself more with the processes of digital content production, I eventually will branch out on my own and start my very own company in the same field, using , to an equal degree, the knowledge I have acquired from my education in Canada, and the knowledge I have acquired from my professional experience before and after my studies in Canada.

(cont.)

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
(part 2)

BRIEF BACKGROUND:

I am currently working as a Content Writer for a white-label digital marketing company. I have 17 years of total work experience in digital marketing, content writing/editing, both online and in print media.

My degree (Bachelor of Science in Communications Technology Management) and my exposure to web content creation have challenged me to explore the evolving nature of media, marketing and advertising, especially in the creative realm. A lot of digital media companies in the Philippines take on a combination of Marketing and Advertising projects. I believe that a good foundation in Creative Advertising will enhance my skills and give me the advantage to grow my career in Digital Marketing and Advertising.

Studying in Canada will provide me with global insights and advanced technical skills, including communicating in global standard English for writing, and world class graphic design techniques as I look forward to advancing my career in an international company here in the Philippines.

ACCOMPANIMENT OF FAMILY:

I know how hard it is to be separated from my loved ones, and I wish for them to be by my side when I undertake this new chapter in my life. One of the great things about Canada is that family reunification is important to them, which is why am determined to study here.

I place high value on family; it will be a great encourager to me once I start my studies. In turn, it will also be encouraging to my wife once she begins going to work. The weather in Canada can be extremely cold at times, and for a person from the tropics, this can be disheartening. So having the family around will lift my spirits up.

Once done with my studies, we will all be going back to the Philippines. We still prefer raising our family there in the long run because of our pleasant tropical weather. We also prefer its more affordable cost of living, as the taxes in Canada are very high. With my education in Canada, I will be able to get a highly-compensating job that will provide for my family and ensure financial stability until my daughter finishes her schoolin

FUNDING OF STUDIES:

My father, my sister and I will be financing my tuition and the funds needed for the rest of my stay. Attached in this file my father’s affidavit of financial support, bank certificates, registration of real estate business, and real estate properties (which are all income-generating); and my sister’s affidavit of financial support and bank statements. I have also included my bank certificates, car title, agricultural land titles, and insurance investment plan as well.

My sister is a permanent resident of Canada, and also resides in Toronto. I, together with my wife and daughter, will be living with her during the course of my study. Her letter for lease of her 2-bedroom apartment and her rental payment receipt, hydro and telecom bills are also included in this document as proof of her residence.

I hope that the information provided is adequate.

Last edited:

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Yes, have written most of it, and asked for feedback from others for edits/other suggestions before submitting.

Rajwinder singh brar

Star Member
Jul 12, 2019
Hello guys!

I've noticed 99% of visa refusal is because the SOP isn't good or convincing enough, so I'm sharing with you a guide on how to make a good SOP:
  • Introduction: Applicant's background and brief family description
  • Educational background and working experience
  • Interest in the field chosen and reason to study abroad
  • Immediate and long term goals
  • Reasons for deciding to pursue education in Canada and at a particular institution
  • Who will support your studies financially, your relationship to them and reason
  • Ties you have to your home country as your reason to comeback
  • Benefit of Canadian diploma or certificate in your future career
It should be in a letter format addressed to the visa officer. At least 2-3 pages, it must be direct to the point, objective and factual SOP.

HELPFUL TIPS:
  • Include at least 10 job prospects (just search online and print screen) with your application to assure the VO that you have lots of job opportunities in your home country once you go back and it must be related to the program that you have chosen to study in Canada.
  • Never mention or hint in your SOP that you'll be staying in Canada after your study or seek employment there even if you're planning to do so. You have to convince the VO that your sole purpose of going to Canada is to just study.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

VRock

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Okay I think the problem lies with you travelling with your spouse and child. You should've travelled alone for the time and applied for open work permit for your spouse after you have completedb1 semester there. I have seen many cases where applicants get the visa when they apply without spouse at first then bring their spouse later on. Hope this helps

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Okay I think the problem lies with you travelling with your spouse and child. You should've travelled alone for the time and applied for open work permit for your spouse after you have completedb1 semester there. I have seen many cases where applicants get the visa when they apply without spouse at first then bring their spouse later on. Hope this helps
Thank you. What if the spouse doesn't have assets to their name?

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Its not necessary that the officer mentions everything in notes, they usually look at the whole picture and make a decision. They inform you for the greater decision sometimes. I would say get a Masters and do not apply for your dependents. The officer needs a reason for your proposed study and your willingness to come back after you complete your studies. If you are not sure about convincing him the third time, try express entry to north provinces. I am sure you get some score below the cut off.