+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Dan321

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Hi everyone
I am wondering what will best answer in RTD application for this

In Section 5

No. Provide a detail explanation of your reason for not applying.

Please advise

Badr_87

Feb 1, 2022
I just got my PR approval on Jan 17th 2022 with protect person in Canada, PR application took 10 months.

I have a travel document I used it once so far to travel outside Canada but based on my experience I found it difficult and confusing when it comes to traveling with travel document, its hard to know which countries allow visitors with travel documents and also if you need visa.

I tried to contact some consulates like Mexico Bahamas UK USA Turks island etc... but sometimes you don't get a clear answer.

There is lack of information do you guys know any website or online tool which is accurate and updated to check ?

Thank you

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I just got my PR approval on Jan 17th 2022 with protect person in Canada, PR application took 10 months.

I have a travel document I used it once so far to travel outside Canada but based on my experience I found it difficult and confusing when it comes to traveling with travel document, its hard to know which countries allow visitors with travel documents and also if you need visa.

I tried to contact some consulates like Mexico Bahamas UK USA Turks island etc... but sometimes you don't get a clear answer.

There is lack of information do you guys know any website or online tool which is accurate and updated to check ?

Thank you
I dont think there is a website for that, easy check is to see list of ALL signatories of 1951 refugee Convention and go to specific country that you want to travel. All signatories accept Travel Documents

Reactions: Norijal and Badr_87

Badr_87

Feb 1, 2022
I dont think there is a website for that, easy check is to see list of ALL signatories of 1951 refugee Convention and go to specific country that you want to travel. All signatories accept Travel Documents
I tried that option but it depends country of issued which means travel document from Europe has different travel visa requirements comparing to travel document issued by Canada or US its not the same. its really hard to tell

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I tried that option but it depends country of issued which means travel document from Europe has different travel visa requirements comparing to travel document issued by Canada or US its not the same. its really hard to tell
YES, You are right. but my understanding some members dont even knows which countries accept, to start with that could be one option.

Badr_87

Feb 1, 2022
YES, You are right. but my understanding some members dont even knows which countries accept, to start with that could be one option.

Just as an example the below link from IATA :

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/BS-Bahamas-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm#

But its not always correct it says for Germany you need visa but in the Germany consulate website in Canada says no need for visa

Convention Refugees
Article
Holders of a blue Canadian Travel Document (Convention of July 28th, 1951) do not need a visa for transit and/or short term stay (e.g. for tourism or business purposes for up to 90 days) in Germany.

https://canada.diplo.de/ca-en/consular-services/visa/convention-refugees/1308202

Also I contacted Consulate of Italy last summer and they told me if you fly direct from Canada no need for visa.

These rules are subject to change so its always good to check with the consulate

Reactions: ruhgyu and Norijal

farhan2022

Jan 27, 2022
Hi guys, can a friend of mine be the guarantor? for renewing RTD, I'm confused. my first one I used friend of mine and they didn't even call them, but I just noticed on the checklist the guarantor have to be a member of organization such ass lawyers or doctors. Thanks in advance

Norijal

Oct 20, 2021
Hi guys, can a friend of mine be the guarantor? for renewing RTD, I'm confused. my first one I used friend of mine and they didn't even call them, but I just noticed on the checklist the guarantor have to be a member of organization such ass lawyers or doctors. Thanks in advance
Bro pay some money to notary and sort out this tension

Norijal

Oct 20, 2021

Thank you
Where you travelled and what do u think best place to visit for family meetup

ruhgyu

Jan 31, 2022

Thank you
i think this is what the airport agents use, it has been useful for me so far, united airline also has a system like this, i suggest making sure with embassy before you travel. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com
i know the following from my personal experience,
1- Turkey - you need to apply for visa from embassy and it can take months.
2- Georgia - visa free if you have PR card.
3- kosovo visa free for 15 days
4- UK you need visa even for a short transit
5- USA you need visa
6- Germany is visa free
7- netherlands is also visa free
8-finland requires visa
9- Italy - visa required
10- japan needs visa
if anyone knows more please share!

ruhgyu

Jan 31, 2022
may i ask how were you able to apply for RTD, they say it is only for urgent cases.

farhan2022

Jan 27, 2022
I haven't apply yet, I want to apply now, that's why I'm asking these questions. My first RTD was a long time ago. I hope this answers your question.

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022

Thank you
See below link to confirm your eligibility for a UK Visa as a stateless person.
https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/stateless-or-refugee/tourism/yes