+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
I didnt get it what you mean,i never went back home i just travel with to germany and Armenia . when i got my PR ,the immigration agent gave me back my national passport and stamped with immigration stamp and wrote travel number on my national passport, and she told me you can travel with your national passport!
please what happened with you after?
i travelled as you with native passport+ PR card
give your experience please

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
Hi everyone,
i'm a PR-refugee, i had to renew my national passport and i used it only once to travel to see my family in a different country than my country of origin, but this country doesn't accept RTD, i was never stopped at the airport on my way back to Canada or questioned at the boarder how do i know if my PR is revoked or not
what happened with you after
Hi everyone,
i'm a PR-refugee, i had to renew my national passport and i used it only once to travel to see my family in a different country than my country of origin, but this country doesn't accept RTD, i was never stopped at the airport on my way back to Canada or questioned at the boarder how do i know if my PR is revoked or not
what happened with you after? Did CIC created you problems? Did you became a Canadian citizen ?
please answer

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
already you are in trouble, went home by your national passport and again you want renew it at your home country embassy or in back home this is not good and very high risk for your future,, if you do not get caught while you back to Canada then 100% be sure they will get you while you having your citizenship interview,, so don not renew it your passport,and myself i had use my national passport but never go back and i had it before i apply refugee inside Canada so i dont renew it and i want to apply RTD
i have done the mistake to use my native passport the same that i came to Canada, CIC gave me that back with PR card after 5 years.
I NEVER renewed the national passport
I DO NOT travelled to my country
Now passport is expired and I want to apply RTD , do I have trouble to have a RTD ? Do I need to be worried for my citizenship?
give me some info please

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
Personal Background:

I am a PR in Canada, who is also a protected person. I came to Canada in 2007 as a student, went through a lot of mess, and ended up with this status. I am living alone in Canada from past 10 years and haven't been able to go back home since 2008. I was granted my residency in 2015. I have completed my undergraduate from University of Waterloo and doing my second degree from University of Western Ontario now. I have successfully established an online business and paying approximately $60k taxes every year (not joking or exaggerating).

When I chose the path to become a refugee, I was unaware of all the hardships and harsh realities associated with it. I am not a political refugee and have no serious issues back in my country. My protected person status is due to my marriage with my EX-WIFE. We are divorced now and things are slightly in my favor back home. It’s not like I do not need Canadian protection anymore. I still have fears that I might be subjected to the harsh treatment by my society due to my past marriage. Since I came this far, I decided to reach the finish line and put an end to this immigration matter once and for all.

Since becoming the protected person in early 2011, I am following up on this cessation law. Day and Night, again and again, I googled the term "refugee cessation Canada 201X". Reading articles, case laws at Canlii, recommendations by lawyers, talk of politicians and discussing it with my family and friends. Sometimes reading the same information three or four times to figure out something, which might help me see my family.

When I see other PRs, who have all the rights in Canada, I feel myself as a second-class permanent resident here. So many times, I thought to set aside my Canadian life and identity, transfer my well saved fortune back to my home country, pack my bags, renew my home country passport and say bye to this country. This doesn’t mean I came here to take unfair advantage of this country, but it’s because my mother's health.

My mom in 2014 suffered severe heart issues. When I talk to her she pretends that everything is fine, but I can feel the pain in her voice. I can imagine how badly she wants to see me before any unfortunate event happens. She knows that I cannot come back so she doesn’t try to make it a big deal that her health is a problem. This makes me cry sometimes and force me to think that does this protection and life in Canada worth it? What good is a Canadian passport if I ever lose my mom and cannot even see her face one last time. I got the Canadian refugee travel document and planned to meet my family in a third country. My mother was not able to travel so I invited my brother to meet me. I travelled to a third country in 2016 and met him there. I saw him after 8 years and it felt like a dream. After living apart for so long, for a moment it felt like I was meeting with some stranger. I asked myself, does this struggle worth it when your relationship with your own family is in jeopardy. I missed my sister’s wedding and birth of my beloved niece. She is now 4 years old and barely knows me. I missed all my family events and all the love and comfort of my home. Every night when I try to sleep, I ask myself: IS THIS A PROTECTION OR A JAIL?

10 Years passed by asking the same question to myself, and yet here I am, still in Canada writing this little story for you. I chose to write all this so that I can tell all other PR + Refugees, who are in this spiral of madness, that they are not alone. We all are going through this pain together. Some have slightly better circumstances, since they have families in Canada, and some like me suffer bit more because they are alone. However, pain is the same regardless.

I apologize for taking your time and making you read my boring story, but this might help calm down someone who is in same shoes as me.

Law and Its Implications:

I will now talk about the real stuff.

Cessation of refugee status means that a person is found to no longer need protection as a refugee. Although the possibility of a cessation application is not new, however changes in the Canadian immigration law by conservative government have made the consequences much more drastic for people who were granted refugee status and are now permanent residents of Canada. Changes to the IRPA adopted in 2012 mean that a person automatically loses their permanent residence if the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) decides that they are no longer a refugee. I strongly believe that this Draconian immigration rule was a major step backwards in Canadian immigration policy, and have increased insecurity and mental health issues in refugees.

Since 2012, CBSA has made cessation applications a significantly higher priority. In their enthusiasm to identify cessation cases, CBSA is casting an inappropriately wide net and interpreting almost any contact with the country of origin as re-availment. CBSA has been arguing that cessation should apply in cases where individuals have done no more than applying for a passport, or have made short visits to the country of origin, for compelling reasons.

By the automatic operation of the law, a decision by the IRB to cessate refugee status results in the person losing permanent residence and becoming inadmissible to Canada. There is no H & C option available to refugees for at least one year and this maybe is harsher punishment than the treatment for other grounds of loss of permanent residence. A permanent resident who does not respect the residency requirements or even commits crime has the right to an appeal before the IAD, however no such appeal is available to a permanent resident who faces the loss of their status due to cessation. The impact of a cessation decision is that a person goes immediately from being a permanent resident to being inadmissible, without any rights in Canada. They are immediately removable.

An effected person with a Canadian citizen spouse might eventually be able regain permanent residence through a spousal sponsorship, but in the meantime, they would have to give up their job, spend extra money on lawyers and have no legal status in Canada. They might well be deported. If the person loses status through cessation, and then regains permanent residence through a spousal sponsorship application, what good is all the headache for by CBSA and CIC?

Many refugees used to feel that once they had permanent residence they were safe and no longer refugees. This sense is lost when it is understood that permanent residence is effectively conditional on their continuing to be recognized as refugees. It is

Reactions: Norijal

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
In 2016 you was telling the forum that you renewed your passport of your country
Did the immigration create you problems after?
Thanks

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I asked about ; what happened with that case that travelled with his home passport , NOT to his country and NEVER renew his home passport???
from 2016 till now 2022 did he get troubles with immigration?
I have read your previous thread about using your home country passport to travel while you are protected person. By law, this could be ground for cessation, but it is not automatic until Minister has applied for the cessation. In some cases, if there is long delay above normal processing time, in your case citizenship application then there is information shared during background check, and that they put it on hold, notify Minister if he wants to apply for cessation. I have seen similar case, but i also came across another case where stay is granted on ground of 'abuse of power". So I know this is not sitting well with you and you are looking for answers, best way is to apply for the GCMSE notes on your citizenship application. You'll see explosive details about movement of your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toronto1971

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
I have read your previous thread about using your home country passport to travel while you are protected person. By law, this could be ground for cessation, but it is not automatic until Minister has applied for the cessation. In some cases, if there is long delay above normal processing time, in your case citizenship application then there is information shared during background check, and that they put it on hold, notify Minister if he wants to apply for cessation. I have seen similar case, but i also came across another case where stay is granted on ground of 'abuse of power". So I know this is not sitting well with you and you are looking for answers, best way is to apply for the GCMSE notes for your citizenship application. You'll see explosive details about movement of your application.
GCMSE ? What means?
But background check is completed ✅
Test completed ✅
Applied 2021
my home passport is expired
I’m not going to renew it
Is risky to apply for TD?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
GCMSE ? What means?
But background check is completed ✅
Test completed ✅
Applied 2021
my home passport is expired
I’m not going to renew it
Is risky to apply for TD?
It is GCMS, sorry for misspelled. Your post #17 you wrote you applied Aug 2020, AOR Jan 2021, but this one you are saying you applied 2021. Anyway, i'll answer your question if it is risky to apply RTD. I would say, yes it is risky on both if they ask and you provided your travel history that include the travel outside Canada after you became Protected person. There is no record you having RTD, any travel info after you became Protected person is red flag.

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
Sorry is 2020
Very worried , very stressed
So, Travel Document is risk
Renew PR is risk
But citizenship is going normal
What is GCMS
Do you have experience with this problem? A lot of people asked the oficer of immigration when they give the home passport + PR and said ; never go home , never renew but not don’t use the passport if is still not expired.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Sorry is 2020
Very worried , very stressed
So, Travel Document is risk
Renew PR is risk
But citizenship is going normal
What is GCMS
Do you have experience with this problem? A lot of people asked the oficer of immigration when they give the home passport + PR and said ; never go home , never renew but not don’t use the passport if is still not expired.
Global Case Management System is a portal that gives you access to information about your application. I dont have experience with this problem. And to say a lot of people asked the officer and officers reply may not be an excuse. You can only travel with RTD outside of Canada after you became protected person.

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
Global Case Management System is a portal that gives you access to information about your application. I dont have experience with this problem. And to say a lot of people asked the officer and officers reply may not be an excuse. You can only travel with RTD outside of Canada after you became protected person.
Even with pandemic my procedure is processing normally
Background check completed ✅
Test completed ✅
Copy in colour + translation of stamps send one month ago
Looks calm
I don’t know you, can’t see your face , but thanks for answering!
thanks with heart