+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi All,
I have a friend who is a refugee claimant waiting for PR, but she got pregnant. She doesn’t want to reveal the name of her boy friend as they broke. What she should do? Will it affect her PR status

Ahka

Nov 28, 2018
Hi everyone, i have a question. I was a convention refugee and then became a PR. I applied for RTD after i became PR and on the 5 page i think there's a sticker that says "no geographical restriction...". Does that mean i can travel to any country even the one i was persecuted from?

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi everyone, i have a question. I was a convention refugee and then became a PR. I applied for RTD after i became PR and on the 5 page i think there's a sticker that says "no geographical restriction...". Does that mean i can travel to any country even the one i was persecuted from?
Hi no you can’t travel your native country. You can travel to many parts of the world but you need to get visa for a destination. You can enter Germany and Cuba without a visa too. Just check more info in cic website

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hi,
I’m planning to go to Turkey for holidays with RTD, I’m applying for Visa but they say it’s going to take 1 month for Visa processing. Can anybody share their experience to Turkey with Travel document.
I applied for Turkey Visa and they took our passports & told us you’ll receive them within 6 weeks. We received it on the 6th week.

rafk

Jan 4, 2019
Hello everyone,
Upon contacting the High Commission of the Republic of Cyprus in Ottawa to inquire about visa requirement for the Holder of RTD issued by Canada, they told me that they require visa to enter Republic of Cyprus. However, I decided not to stop here so I sent an email to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Cyprus to ask them the same question and the reply was as follows:

Dear sir,

· Holders of travel documents issued to recognised refugees under the Convention relating to the Status Refugees of 28 July 1951, do not require a visa to enter Cyprus, if their travel documents are issued by a member-state of Schengen or by a state listed in Annex II to the Council Regulation 539/2001 as per its amendments.

· Holders of travel documents issued to stateless persons under the Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons of 28 September 1954, do not require a visa if the documents are issued by a member state of Schengen and the holders of these documents are residing in this Member State.

At first I did not know what does Annex II mean or what is Council Regulation 539/2001. But then after some research on the internet I came upon the Council Regulation 539/2001 which is a regulation signed by the Schengen member states in March 2001 that lists the third countries whose nationals must be in possession of visas when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement. The link of this document is here:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32001R0539&from=EN

I found out Canada is actually one of the Annex II states, which as a result must exempt those who hold RTDs issued by Canada from visa when entering Cyprus and possibly other some other countries. At this stage, I am confused from receiving two contradicting answers. I am not sure if this document has any other valuable information for those who hold RTDs issued by Canada. I recommend you all to read it and share what you guys think.

Thanks

Reactions: Rafffff

CA-FA

Aug 13, 2019
I applied for Turkey Visa and they took our passports & told us you’ll receive them within 6 weeks. We received it on the 6th week.
hello
please you can share your experience with turkey visa , what they require and fee and where you apply
thanks in advance

Reactions: amplua

amplua

May 4, 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Category........
Could you please share what kind of papers/documents did Turkey Council request from you (bank statement, flying tickets, hotel booking, income or etc.)?

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
hello
please you can share your experience with turkey visa , what they require and fee and where you apply
thanks in advance
Could you please share what kind of papers/documents did Turkey Council request from you (bank statement, flying tickets, hotel booking, income or etc.)?
I honestly don’t know how much the fee was because I am a citizen of a country that Tirkey waives the fee for. So I’m not sure how much, but I think it was about $83 CAN.

you’ll need to provide a bank statement, flying tickets & hotel (don’t finalize, just book for both. They will also ask you to give them an envelope that has your name & address so they can return the passports in it. You can buy this envelope from Canada Post. It takes about 6 weeks for the passports to arrive in the mail.

A proof of your status in Canada will be requested. & maybe a proof of income I think. You’ll need to purchase medical insurance for the duration of your stay & show them if they ask for it.

Reactions: CA-FA

ngajsdj22

Nov 18, 2019
Hello,

Has anyone experienced a delay in getting the RTD (60days and counting ). I have called several times and the agents keep telling me, its in process. This is my 2nd RTD after becoming a PR. Does anyone have advice on how I can expedite the process? Can I go get in person? - I have tickets booked for Dec and I applied for mt RTD beginning of Sept.

CA-FA

Aug 13, 2019
I honestly don’t know how much the fee was because I am a citizen of a country that Tirkey waives the fee for. So I’m not sure how much, but I think it was about $83 CAN.

you’ll need to provide a bank statement, flying tickets & hotel (don’t finalize, just book for both. They will also ask you to give them an envelope that has your name & address so they can return the passports in it. You can buy this envelope from Canada Post. It takes about 6 weeks for the passports to arrive in the mail.

A proof of your status in Canada will be requested. & maybe a proof of income I think. You’ll need to purchase medical insurance for the duration of your stay & show them if they ask for it.
Thank you

amplua

May 4, 2019
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Category........
Hey, guys.
I found some working link for European countries regarding allowing Refugee travel documents. This is an Excel file updated October, 2019.
There are too much information, so you can easily download it to your PC and review it:
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/document-security/docs/part_i_travel_documents_issued_by_third_countries_and_territorial_entities_en.xlsx
As soon as you open file make search for Canada and you`ll see countries which recognize Canadian RTF. Almost all European countries recognize it )

Last edited:

FRM

Nov 4, 2019
Hi All,
Does anyone know if to transit from Zurich or Frankfurt we need to have visa?
I know we can enter Germany with TRD but it seems the regulation is different for transit.
Has any one have experience?