+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,
Does anyone know if to transit from Zurich or Frankfurt we need to have visa?
I know we can enter Germany with TRD but it seems the regulation is different for transit.
Has any one have experience?
You will have to check with the Swiss Embassy. various German airports are much more common transit points and accept RTDs. It is a RTD not TRD.

Reactions: FRM

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Hi
My parents have RTD and applied for PR (not PR yet).
Do you know if they are going to have any problem in the port of entry to Canada? Since they don't have any visa or status rather than being refugees?
If they are entering Canada then they shouldn’t have a problem cause the RTD is their entry document, i entered back to Canada when i went to Germany/Croatia with no visa no pr and just my rtd, just in case they should have their notice of decision with them

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
Hi
Just to be clear, you didn't have your PR?

Do you know what is the difference between transit visa and air transit? I want to know if with RTD we can transit via Frankfurt to India?
Yes i don’t the pr yet and went to Germany/Croatia, idk what transit or air transit is but i know that you can transit in Germany without needing a visa there, im not sure about India

FRM

Nov 4, 2019
Yes i don’t the pr yet and went to Germany/Croatia, idk what transit or air transit is but i know that you can transit in Germany without needing a visa there, im not sure about India
Thanks for your reply

Just to be clear, so if I want to transit from Germany (I mean using RTD I go to India Via Germany and not entering to Germany) So I don't need to have a transit visa? have you tried it? just using Germany as transit?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
hi guys, anyone travelled to Mexico with RTD without PR? do they require visa? I have USA visa on my RTD but I am not sure if I still need a visa?

xxffgg

Aug 13, 2019
hi guys, anyone travelled to Mexico with RTD without PR? do they require visa? I have USA visa on my RTD but I am not sure if I still need a visa?
According to this page:

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/toronto/index.php/en/servicesforeigners/doclegalization/52-conservices/225-visitors-who-do-not-require-a-visa-with-a-stay-up-to-180-days

All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area..

So, you should be fine..

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
According to this page:

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/toronto/index.php/en/servicesforeigners/doclegalization/52-conservices/225-visitors-who-do-not-require-a-visa-with-a-stay-up-to-180-days

All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area..

So, you should be fine..
You are right, I just wanted to confirm this
I emailed the Embassy of Mexico in Canada and they reply with the same info:

Dear XXXX:

Good afternoon. As you can see in the official information, if you have a valid Travel Document and a US visa, you do not need a Mexican visa.

The Embassy of Mexico in Canada informs the public that Canadian nationals and permanent residents of Canada do not require a visa to enter Mexico.

Canadian nationals must present a valid passport to prove their nationality. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.

Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.

All foreign visitors, regardless of their nationality, traveling to Mexico for tourism, business or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by any the following countries: Canada, Japan, the United States of America, the United Kingdom or any of the countries comprising the Schengen Area.

To enter Mexican territory the above travellers must present:

1. A valid passport or travel document. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of the passport; nevertheless, this document must be valid during the length of stay in Mexico.

2. A properly completed Multiple Migratory Form (FMM); this form will be provided to you by the airline or at the port of entry.

3. Migratory authorities at the port of entry may request documents proving the purpose of your trip, depending on the activity you will undertake in Mexico: tourism (hotel reservation, itinerary of your return or departure); business (letter in Spanish from the company indicating that you are an employee of the company and that the services you will provide in Mexico will be paid for by that company, or a letter of invitation from a public or private institution to perform non-remunerated activities in Mexico, indicating the purpose of the trip, estimated time of stay and taking responsibility for your travel and lodging costs); technicians (a copy of the contract for the transfer of technology, patents and brands, purchase of machinery and equipment, technical training of personnel, or any other related to the production process of a company established in Mexico); student (letter of invitation or acceptance from any institution pertaining to the National Educational System to take courses, conduct a research project or undertake academic training for a maximum period of 180 days.

Visitors on cruise ships

Visitors who travel on cruise ships that disembark at any Mexican port to visit the port and surrounding zones and embark on the same ship to continue their voyage, do not require a visa and will have collective permission under the category of “visitor without permission to conduct remunerated activities”, for a period of 21 calendar days.

FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROCESS OF ENTERING MEXICO
At the point of entry, Mexico's immigration officers (INAMI) are the only authority that can accept or refuse the entry of any traveller into Mexico, regardless of whether the traveller has previously attained a visa or is exempt from obtaining one.

Please be aware of some of the questions you may be asked by viewing this document:

Cordially,

Embajada de México en Canadá / Embassy of Mexico in Canada

Ms. Leonor Yáñez

Asistente de la Sección Consular /

Assistant to the Consular Section

1000-45 O’Connor St. Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 1A4

t: (613) 787-5177 / (613) 233-8988 x 2236

https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada

NewinKit

Star Member
Apr 4, 2019
Hello everyone,

Can anyone share their experiences with travelling on RTD with no PR to Thailand? I an planning a trip there in February and heard their visa process is simple, however, the airlines going there i.e China Eastern/Cathay Pacific would return passengers without PR (specially Chinese) even if you are just transiting through their airport. Can anyone share any information on this regard and thanks!

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone,

Can anyone share their experiences with travelling on RTD with no PR to Thailand? I an planning a trip there in February and heard their visa process is simple, however, the airlines going there i.e China Eastern/Cathay Pacific would return passengers without PR (specially Chinese) even if you are just transiting through their airport. Can anyone share any information on this regard and thanks!
I travelled to Thailand aftr getting a visa from embassy, with rtd and air china flight to bangkok . Didnt face any issues. But they just throughly checked my ids and doc so u better keep them with u

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
Hello , i need to apply for RTD , and require to fill the pptc 132 form as i dont know a somebdy designated to sign as a guarantor , can somebody tell me frm to get the form from??? I cant find it online

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hello , i need to apply for RTD , and require to fill the pptc 132 form as i dont know a somebdy designated to sign as a guarantor , can somebody tell me frm to get the form from??? I cant find it online
You need to update your browser and download it. It’s available on cic.ca
As a guarantor you can ask any lawyer to sign for you. That’s the easiest way.

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
You need to update your browser and download it. It’s available on cic.ca
As a guarantor you can ask any lawyer to sign for you. That’s the easiest way.
The lawyer didnt sign cz it says that he must know me for leas than 6 months. could youplz clarify how to download the pptc132. I still cant find it

Libby01

Nov 28, 2019
Hi everyone, I have RTD end of December I’ll go Germany, I just want to learn, when I arrive Germany, Can I apply Schengen visa for Holland to short stay ?? Not from here from Germany ??

I called everywhere but I didn’t learn, Can somebody help me ?