+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

collinsketics

Aug 24, 2013
Hello team,

Thank you for all your wonderful inputs on the forum. I seek your advice and suggestions here now.

My wife and kids are refugee claimants with refugee interview date slated for early next year. I have a visit visa that has ensured I visit them regularly from home country. I am thinking of staying with them more permanently now but I am not entitled to a work permit and therefore cannot work because of her current status.

Thus I ave been having to come in and go out of Canada regularly to keep my visa requirements valid.

She already has me as a dependent in her IRCC application.

I want to know when you think I can be entitled to a work permit and also know if I can continue to use my visit Visa ( which expires in less than a year) till the PR comes out, which is more likely going to be for 2 years or more by which time the TRV would have expired and chances of a renewal may not occur.

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Has anyone been asked to provide previous passport information for travel document. If I don't have one, should I just call the 1-888 number or wrote them a letter and explain I am a refugee with no passport? Please help guys

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Has anyone been asked to provide previous passport information for travel document. If I don't have one, should I just call the 1-888 number or wrote them a letter and explain I am a refugee with no passport? Please help guys
They ask in the form if you have a VALID passport, if you do, you put the information they ask you for it, if it's expired, just say NO. (I believe you must include your passport in the application if it was still valid)

Plus, you would submit your original Notice of Decision with your application or otherwise, they won't accept it, & that would be enough to prove that you are a protected person. (They'll return back to you)

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
They ask in the form if you have a VALID passport, if you do, you put the information they ask you for it, if it's expired, just say NO. (I believe you must include your passport in the application if it was still valid)

Plus, you would submit your original Notice of Decision with your application or otherwise, they won't accept it, & that would be enough to prove that you are a protected person. (They'll return back to you)
I submitted the notice of decision and also chose the "No " option but didn't explain anything. Could that be the reason I'm asked to provide passport? And should I just send a simple word document letter explaining I don't have a passport or previous travel document.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I submitted the notice of decision and also chose the "No " option but didn't explain anything. Could that be the reason I'm asked to provide passport? And should I just send a simple word document letter explaining I don't have a passport or previous travel document.
As long as you put NO for not having any valid passport or travel document, you should be good, but since they asked you to provide a passport, then this weird to me & the first time I hear about it.

I think you can send them a letter of explanation to them & see what they say. Sorry I couldn’t be much help

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
When did you apply for your the Travel Document and when did they request “past passport” information from you? Also how did they contact you, email or they sent you a letter?

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
When did you apply for your the Travel Document and when did they request “past passport” information from you? Also how did they contact you, email or they sent you a letter?
They sent a letter but am yet to see it. When I called an agent told me that is what the letter is requesting! I applied on Nov 12 n application was received on the 14th.

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
They sent a letter but am yet to see it. When I called an agent told me that is what the letter is requesting! I applied on Nov 12 n application was received on the 14th.
Okay, I’d advise you wait to receive the letter - the letter should contain more details and the fastest way to reply, and then you can explain by telling them you’ve never held a passport.

Reactions: Polsonlive

naziashrez2

Dec 8, 2018
hello, a quick question, did you get the letter? if yea, what is their reason for; why they asked you for passport? i also submitted my application for getting RTD by Nov 20 and didn't have passport to submit i answered no to the question where it asks. i really wonder why did they ask you for passport if you answered no to the question.

S

Singerbwoy

Hello guys, I have a question. I moved from Ontario to Alberta earlier this year. I became a PR yesterday and now I wanna apply for the RTD. The problem though is that people I know who can be my guarantor are all in Ontario. Is it possible to still use them, do I have to be physically present with them considering they need to help me sign and fill out some sections of the forms? Or do I need to find a guarantor in Alberta.

No they don’t have to be with you I mailed mine to my attorney and he signed and mailed it back to me it sucks that I did not have an ID fro a while thou... as they need the original copy so that they can photo copy and sight the paper stating they have see the original copy of the document...

S

Singerbwoy

hello, when did u claim asylum and the time frame till ur hearing....can u help me with that...like how many month did it take. thanks.

It all depends to be honest my story is that, I came to Canada in July 2016, four months after I got approved and two months after my work permit.... but I have a friend who has been here way b4 me he cane in 2014 and he got his hearing just last year.

All the best thou and a speedy process...

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
No they don’t have to be with you I mailed mine to my attorney and he signed and mailed it back to me it sucks that I did not have an ID fro a while thou... as they need the original copy so that they can photo copy and sight the paper stating they have see the original copy of the document...
Thank you, I really appreciate your response! I was able to get my family doctor to sign for me at last.

joksuela

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
Is it possible for someone to apply for a visa to visit country X using RTD while having a VALID visa for the same country X on their home country's passport?

Would the embassy/consulate reject the visa application for the said reason as he/she already has one on another passport?