+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will find the link. Does that mean I should just transit through Germany since they don’t require visa. Or do they?
Even if you transit through Germany you are unlikely to make it to the UK since you will have to show proof of visa to fly, take ferry or by train. Most fly through Germany and count on not being asked for ID due to Schengen. Due to the asylum issue in Europe there are now many more border checks in places like train stations so you also may run into problems trying to go to other Europeans countries via Germany.

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Even if you transit through Germany you are unlikely to make it to the UK since you will have to show proof of visa to fly, take ferry or by train. Most fly through Germany and count on not being asked for ID due to Schengen. Due to the asylum issue in Europe there are now many more border checks in places like train stations so you also may run into problems trying to go to other Europeans countries via Germany.
I have no plans to enter either of these countries. I am just passing through Europe as transit not intention to stay. So does that mean I can’t transit through London?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
2years. Last destination is somewhere africa. I need visa to transit through Germany?
No. Germany is the major country in Europe that doesn't require a visa with an RTD. Many people land in Germany to visit family in Germany or with plans to meet family in surrounding countries and hopefully they don't get stopped because they don't have a visa. A few years ago Schengen was operating well and borders were much ore open.

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Hi Everyone!
Hope someone can help with this dilemma..

I am a Convention Refugee since May 2018. Sent my PR application in October but haven’t gotten anything back yet.
Applied for a RTD back in September because I wanted to go to the US, and I also applied for a US visitor visa which was approved.

I’m still not entirely sure if there won’t be any issues traveling to the US since I called Westjet and Air Canada and both airlines told me I would still need a PASSPORT to travel to the US and that I can’t travel with a RTD.
Clearly, this doesn’t make any sense to me since I already applied for a Visa with my RTD and it was approved.

Has anyone traveled to the US recently with an RTD?
Did anyone have any problems going through US Customs or back into Canada?

Hello,
Wanted to ask about the process of getting a US visa with a RTD and not having the PR card. Was it easy! What are the requirements? And if you have traveled already please share your experience crossing the border! Thanks in advance

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Hello everyone,
I’m a proteced person already. I was approved back in July, and already sent my PR application but its still in process.

I want to apply for a US vistor visa, do I have any chance not to mention that I was in the US and crossed the border to come to Canada to seek refugee status. Has anyone with the same scenario applied for a US visa or know any info related to my case? Thank you in advance for your help!

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
No. Germany is the major country in Europe that doesn't require a visa with an RTD. Many people land in Germany to visit family in Germany or with plans to meet family in surrounding countries and hopefully they don't get stopped because they don't have a visa. A few years ago Schengen was operating well and borders were much ore open.
Thank you for the info. Just to be sure, I can’t transit with British airline without visa?