+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Is it possible for someone to apply for a visa to visit country X using RTD while having a VALID visa for the same country X on their home country's passport?

Would the embassy/consulate reject the visa application for the said reason as he/she already has one on another passport?
The only way to know for sure is to contact the embassy. I've heard of instances where people with American tourist visas had no issues transferring their visa into their travel document at the US embassy. But you would still need to apply the same way you apply for a new visa and let the officer know of your case when you're there. Good luck!

rowanlan

Jul 31, 2018
I had Vacation to Cuba (cayo cayo ) with Airtransat last month, we have RTD without PR Card and everything was great. no issue at all. there is some point maybe you need to know
1-When back to Canada we could not use Custom`s Kiosk because it won't scan out passport and we go to the officer and he filed custom paper for us
2- in the airplane, before arriving in Cuba they gave you a "Tourist Card" and you need to write your Nationality, do not worry its not a problem at all.

3-when back to Canada officer just ask for our trip duration and after 5-8 min they put arrival stamp our RTD, they do not ask for Decision paper or Work permit or anything, but i suggest keep them with you just in case

Reactions: LoneRider

Violet flower

Oct 14, 2018
Hi

Wanna ask about the RTD:
1) I don't know how can I provide the references ? Any advice please

2) is it better to wait till I get my PR card or I can apply using the COPR ?

Regards

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
Hi

Wanna ask about the RTD:
1) I don't know how can I provide the references ? Any advice please

2) is it better to wait till I get my PR card or I can apply using the COPR ?

Regards
References can be any of your friends whom you’ve known for not less than 6 months. I’m waiting for my PR card too, but I applied with Notice of Decison even though I have my CoPR - you don’t need to submit your CoPR it’s not a requirement. I’m still waiting for the passport, by the way.

Violet flower

Oct 14, 2018
References can be any of your friends whom you’ve known for not less than 6 months. I’m waiting for my PR card too, but I applied with Notice of Decison even though I have my CoPR - you don’t need to submit your CoPR it’s not a requirement. I’m still waiting for the passport, by the way.
Thank you for the reply .
One more question please; what about the
guarantor? How can I find that .

Regards;

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Thank you for the reply .
One more question please; what about the
guarantor? How can I find that .

Check the list of people who are eligible to be guarantors on your application form. Also, it's better if you include your CoPR since if you use your CoPR to apply for your travel document they'll give you a 5 year validity one, otherwise if you use your decision letter they might just give you 2 years. Good luck!

Reactions: Violet flower

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
My travel document is finally here! They asked me to send my country of orgin’s Passport, which I didn’t have. I sent a letter and simply explained I don’t have it. For future tip, you should always explain ya don’t have your passport and why you don’t have it on the travel document application to avoid delays like me.

Reactions: thatguyoverthere

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
If you have your PR you don’t need a transit visa. Also if you have any valid visa for US, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia you won’t need a visa to transit through the UK.
But it says on their page convention refugees don’t need visa. I am not PR yet, so I still need visa?

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
My travel document is finally here! They asked me to send my country of orgin’s Passport, which I didn’t have. I sent a letter and simply explained I don’t have it. For future tip, you should always explain ya don’t have your passport and why you don’t have it on the travel document application to avoid delays like me.
Also, u can always include a copy of your notice of seizure when sending in your application.

Reactions: Polsonlive

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
How long in total did it take them to process it? Also, did you get 2 or 5 year’s validity?