+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

diiamond

Nov 16, 2018
  1. Hello,
    is it possible to travel with you RTD and you CPR ?- I have my CPR appointment in 2 weeks and I planning to travel the following week— Im too confused , some people are saying that once you go to your CPR appointment you cant go oit no more , therefore you have to wait on your PR to come out!!!!! heeeeellppppppppppp

pokrotok

Nov 20, 2018
Italy and France are visa free countries for the holders of CTD! For the last 3 months I've been twice in France and they don't require any visa!Google Italian embassy in toronto for more information about Italy

Reactions: Ghess23

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Italy and France are visa free countries for the holders of CTD! For the last 3 months I've been twice in France and they don't require any visa!Google Italian embassy in toronto for more information about Italy
That's 100 percent wrong for France!

I have just checked by mailwith their consulate here at montreal + on the phone = holders of blue Canadian refugee documents NEED a visa.

As for the Italian case, this information is to be taken with caution

Indeed, the website of the Italian consulate in toronto indicates that it is visa free ... BUT NOT that of Montreal + the official tool of the iata (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/) indicates that one always needs a visa .. .

This same tool is used by the hostesses before your chekin at the airport before boarding ... so no boarding possible without a visa.

Moreover, if you land directly in Frankfurt, for example (without a guaranteed visa, I checked myself), you are not allowed to go elsewhere than in Germany, Hungary, Slovenia and Slovakia ... Even if in the theory nothing prevents you to take a train to paris, brussels, rome, or Switzerland (schengen space) ... But it remains illegal if you do not have the official authorization, ie a schengen visa ... The controls are not impossible, and it's a legal offense if you get caught ... Your application for citizenship may be affected, so do not play with fire! ... There is so much to see in Germany.

PS: Forget the consulate of Holland or belgium, the visas are systematically refused for the holders of the blue document ...

PS 2: I sent an email to the consulate ditalie montreal to clarify the thing ... I'll keep you informed ...

Ps 3: I believe that Cuba is visa-free too, Mexico, and some other Caribbean countries ... BUT ALWAYS check with the consulate or embassy of the country in question.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's 100 percent wrong for France!

I have just checked badly with their consulate here at montreal + on the phone = holders of blue Canadian refugee documents NEED a visa.

As for the Italian, this information is to be taken with tweezers.

Indeed, the website of the Italian consulate in toronto indicates that it is visa free ... BUT NOT that of Montreal + the official tool of the iata (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/) indicates that one always needs a visa .. .

This same tool is used by the hostesses before your chekin at the airport before boarding ... so no boarding possible without a visa.

Moreover, if you land directly in Frankfurt, for example (without a guaranteed visa, I checked myself), you are not allowed to go elsewhere than in Germany, Hungary, Slovenia and Slovakia ... Even if in the theory nothing prevents you to take a train to paris, brussels, rome, or Switzerland (schengen space) ... But it remains illegal if you do not have the official authorization, ie a schengen visa ... The controls are not impossible, and it's a legal offense if you get caught ... Your application for citizenship may be affected, so do not play with fire! ... There is so much to see in Germany.

PS: Forget the consulate of Holland or belgium, the visas are systematically refused for the holders of the blue document ...

PS 2: I sent an email to the consulate ditalie montreal to clarify the thing ... I'll keep you informed ...

Ps 3: I believe that Cuba is visa-free too, Mexico, and some other Caribbean countries ... BUT ALWAYS check with the consulate or embassy of the country in question.
Believe you need a visa with an RTD to visit Mexico.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Hi!

Just received my French Visa (multi entries for 1 month/ with 15 days duration of stay). The process took less than 2 weeks even it's peak season, however they didn't approve my attached trip itinerary to the application, which is for 18 days duration of stay.

The requested documents were the usual; Bank statement, employment letter+pay slips, PR card or Work permit*, accommodations and trip itinerary).

I applied with RTD only (I don't have PR status yet), From Toronto

My advice if you're traveling to France, plan in advance! book a fully refundable ticket and wait for your visa to be issued, then book a real ticket.

*The officer at VFS Global said you have to have either PR Card or Work permit/Study permit, otherwise the visa application wont be accepted.

Last edited:

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
I just applied for a RTD, is there any way that I can link the application to my cic account?

- how long does it take to get it?

xichanmontreal

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
Hello everyone ,

As promised before, I come back to give you news about Italy.

The Montreal Consulate is unreachable by email (all the email addresses indicated on their site give a message `message sent failure 'message, they must have a problem of server or domain name).

Anyway, I come to have online the person in charge of the visa section at the Consulate of Italy in Montreal on the phone, she assured me that the holders of Canadians travels documents for refugees (the blue document), NEEDS a visa to access italy .... The official IATA tool was therefore absolutely right.

I pointed out to him that the site of their consulate in toronto indicated the opposite, it seems surprising, and assured me that it imperatively requires a visa to enter Italian territory.

From this story, we draw this lesson: We must ABSOLUTELY always check and reconfirm before going or whatever ... The data on the official sites of consulates or diplomatic representations may be wrong sometimes.

Be carefull .

Reactions: Polsonlive

thatguyoverthere

Dec 14, 2017
Hello guys, I have a question. I moved from Ontario to Alberta earlier this year. I became a PR yesterday and now I wanna apply for the RTD. The problem though is that people I know who can be my guarantor are all in Ontario. Is it possible to still use them, do I have to be physically present with them considering they need to help me sign and fill out some sections of the forms? Or do I need to find a guarantor in Alberta.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hello guys, I have a question. I moved from Ontario to Alberta earlier this year. I became a PR yesterday and now I wanna apply for the RTD. The problem though is that people I know who can be my guarantor are all in Ontario. Is it possible to still use them, do I have to be physically present with them considering they need to help me sign and fill out some sections of the forms? Or do I need to find a guarantor in Alberta.
They must
- see your photos & sign one of them in the back
- sign the application itself
- sign any photocopies

So I guess if you can call your guarantor and ask them if you could mail them so they sign it & return them to you. I’m not sure but thats the only option i see if i were in ur shoes

Reactions: thatguyoverthere

lucas101

Aug 22, 2018
ORD
hello, when did u claim asylum and the time frame till ur hearing....can u help me with that...like how many month did it take. thanks.