+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
Hi there,
I am confused a bit, I want to see clearly my situation please help me with your own experience or suggestion.

I have been Convention Refugee (Protected Person) for three months.

My PR card is in process for one month.

I consider to apply for the Refugee Travel Document. I know I will need one guarantor (that would be my lawyer) and two references.

1st question:
My guarantor and one of my reference can not be the same person, right?

I am planning to apply my RTD.

2nd question:
If I would get my Travel Document and I would want to travel to Munich within the following few months, I guess I wouldn’t need Visa to Germany (Munich) right?

3rd question:
According to your own experiences would be there any risk at the re-entry at the canadian border as a Convention refugee with Refugee Travel Document when I come back to Canada?

Maybe would be there a person at the airport who asks me, where is your PR card or something just like it?
Will she/he maybe not accept if I say my PR card is in process? Can they see in their system my PR is really/ indeed in process?

Or should I wait for getting my PR card and just after that apply for the Travel Document?

Honestly, What do you recommend me?

Thank you in advance!!

1st question:

No. Can not be the same.

2nd question:
If I would get my Travel Document and I would want to travel to Munich within the following few months, I guess I wouldn’t need Visa to Germany (Munich) right?

No. As per the German consulate. You do not need a visa with RTD. They sent me this link when I contacted them:
https://canada.diplo.de/ca-en/consular-services/visa/convention-refugees/1308202

3rd question:
According to your own experiences would be there any risk at the re-entry at the canadian border as a Convention refugee with Refugee Travel Document when I come back to Canada?

I am assuming there won't be any risk. If there is, then what's the point to get RTD for people such your case and mine.
But, just in case, take your positive hearing documents with you, also have your PR application number printed with you ,and you should be good.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
I have booked my flight from Toronto to Munich. I will be using my RTD. Has anyone been to Germany recently with RTD?
There is not going to be any problem in both ways. Just make sure u are traveling Germany only. Do not go to any other country while you’re there. Remember you do need the visa to go to any other European country. So even there is not going to be any check at the borders, but u still need to follow the rules.

champion92_pls

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
There is not going to be any problem in both ways. Just make sure u are traveling Germany only. Do not go to any other country while you’re there. Remember you do need the visa to go to any other European country. So even there is not going to be any check at the borders, but u still need to follow the rules.

Thanks for your comment. I will be traveling to only Germany with a non-stop flight to Munich as advised by the German consulate.

I can't wait. It will be my first time to be out of Canada since 2012.

Anas1990

Oct 4, 2017
Dear friends
Good evening
Wish you all happy thanksgiving
I’m wondering as I got the PR and I had a 2 year travel document , should I keep using the 2 year travel document (1.5year) valid from now or should I renew it up to the 5 years version
Thank you in advance

Jan 10, 2017
Dear friends
Good evening
Wish you all happy thanksgiving
I’m wondering as I got the PR and I had a 2 year travel document , should I keep using the 2 year travel document (1.5year) valid from now or should I renew it up to the 5 years version
Thank you in advance
I think you need to switch it with 5 years validity one because your status has been changed from refugee to permanent resident. You're no longer refugee here you got permanent status.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
I think you need to switch it with 5 years validity one because your status has been changed from refugee to permanent resident. You're no longer refugee here you got permanent status.
A protected person who is granted permanent residence is still considered to be a refugee. A refugee can cease to be a refugee in three cases: 1)If they no longer want to be protected and let IRCC know of their decision, 2)If CBSA or IRCC apply for cessation, 3) if the refugee becomes a Canadian citizen.
I beleive you can still use the same travel document as it’s still valid. It’s up to you. You should also contact Passport Canada and ask for the RTD department to confirm with them. Good luck!

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Thank you for creating such an amazing thread that's full of very useful information and I would like to share my experience as well.

My claim was accepted July 11th 2018, went to GATINEAU to apply for RTD in July 30 2018 and used express service ( next day service ) but you have to show the reasons you are applying for a rush RTD. Things went well, and I went for pick up the next day.

I went to the Malaysian embassy and was granted the visa in the same day. Requirements are ( bank statement,
itinerary for hotel and return flight, filled application, and 2 passport sized photos)

I booked a direct flight to Germany, entering was very smooth, officer asked where I was going and how much money I had, thats all. I rented out a car and drove 4 hours from Frankfurt Airport to Brussels Belgium to visit my sister who I hadn’t seen for 5 years. Stayed there for 3 days.
Also, went to Paris France, Amsterdam NL. A week later I drove back to Frankfurt dropped the car off and flew to Malaysia and when arrived they gave me 30 days stay. I stayed there for 30 days with my family then booked a ticket to Cambodia and was granted a visa at the airport for 30 days as well. While in Malaysia I went to the embassy of Thailand to apply for the visa. I applied with the needed documents again ( bank statement, flight booking and hotel reservation) I was called next day for pick up. I went to Thailand and was given 90 days stay. I’m currently in Bangkok Thailand.

Thank you Canada from the bottom of my heart. I love you so much you are my second home. You welcomed me and gave me a new life. Because of the Canadian travel document I was able to easily travel, visit friends and family, and enjoy vacation. See you soon my Canada ♥♥

I hope the information I shared would be useful to many of you. Wish you all the best.
How am I give an urgent reason for quick RTD please? Will booking a ticket before holidays in December considered urgent? To avoid high prices.Enjoy your vacation-;)

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Hi there,
I am confused a bit, I want to see clearly my situation please help me with your own experience or suggestion.

I have been Convention Refugee (Protected Person) for three months.

My PR card is in process for one month.

I consider to apply for the Refugee Travel Document. I know I will need one guarantor (that would be my lawyer) and two references.

1st question:

2nd question:

3rd question:

Maybe would be there a person at the airport who asks me, where is your PR card or something just like it?
Will she/he maybe not accept if I say my PR card is in process? Can they see in their system my PR is really/ indeed in process?

Or should I wait for getting my PR card and just after that apply for the Travel Document?

Honestly, What do you recommend me?

Thank you in advance!!
How come your PR proc sing only took three months?! U did medical and everything already?!

Polsonlive

Oct 2, 2018
Anyone know how long it takes to receive the RTD? And if I travel to their office will I receive it within a day or two?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Has anybody traveled to Paris on the RTD recently?Do you need a visa for a short stay?
Have you called the embassy. Thought France didn't accept RTD and Germany was the Western European country that accepted RTD. Not 100% so make sure to doublecheck this.

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Have you called the embassy. Thought France didn't accept RTD and Germany was the Western European country that accepted RTD. Not 100% so make sure to doublecheck this.
I concur. I've also heard some RTD holders exploit the system by going to other European countries through Germany, which can sometimes be illegal if that country requires the RTD holder to obtain a visa. Even though there are no border checkpoints between European countries, but I've heard there are random immigration checks conducted on trains and the airports. If they get caught they will be in deep trouble! Always check with country's embassy first. Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I concur. I've also heard some RTD holders exploit the system by going to other European countries through Germany, which can sometimes be illegal if that country requires the RTD holder to obtain a visa. Even though there are no border checkpoints between European countries, but I've heard there are random immigration checks conducted on trains and the airports. If they get caught they will be in deep trouble! Always check with country's embassy first. Good luck!
Due to asylum seekers wanting to move north or to another country there are many more border checks then the a few years ago in the Schengen area.