+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

rowanlan

Jul 31, 2018
That was my mistake, I went through the web-site information only. After this refusal happened I checked directly through calling the Georgian Embassy and to their MFA. I thought that I can visit Georgia WITHOUT visa, which is possible, but only if person has PR. I have no PR yet, then I had to have a visa from the Georgian Embassy. Turkish Airlines was completely right. Anyway, I was angry on them and took my second ticket to Georgia from LOT Airlines :). Btw it was significantly cheaper than Turkish.
I am Iranian Citizen and had convention refugee Status and recently i receive my Travel Document.
i want visit my parrent in somewhere near iran ( Turkey , Georgia or Armania) all of this country no need visa for iranian citizen with iranian passport but i am not hold iranian passport anymore .

i do not have PR card Yet . my question is . i need visa to travel to those counties ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am Iranian Citizen and had convention refugee Status and recently i receive my Travel Document.
i want visit my parrent in somewhere near iran ( Turkey , Georgia or Armania) all of this country no need visa for iranian citizen with iranian passport but i am not hold iranian passport anymore .

i do not have PR card Yet . my question is . i need visa to travel to those counties ?
You should contact their embassies or consulates in Canada and ask then. Get the answer in writing in an email in case you run into problems attain airport. People may not be familiar with the RTD in their country.

Bakhadur

Jul 24, 2017
You should contact their embassies or consulates in Canada and ask then. Get the answer in writing in an email in case you run into problems attain airport. People may not be familiar with the RTD in their country.
Yes, do support this answer, contact directly Embassy and the more paper answers you have, the safer will be your travel!

Ivan Koko

Aug 22, 2018
Hello experts! Nice to have you all in one place :)
I had kind of a sad story today: went to Dutch consular to apply for Schengen Visa and the guy told me that I won't be able to get visa with my RTD if I don't have a PR card. I told him that I haven't received my PR card yet and I'm still a refugee. Then we were arguing and I said that this sounds like discrimination because I can't travel to NL. He went to out to make a phone call, took him half an hour, then he came back and said "ok I will take you application but I can't promise you get visa, they will make a decision at Visa center"

Guys what do you think? is he just incompetent and doesn't what he says, or Dutch Visa center in Washington is discriminating us?
I want to believe the first option is much more obvious because I couldn't find any information that Dutch visa center do not accept Canadian RTD without PR card.

Any ideas?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello experts! Nice to have you all in one place :)
I had kind of a sad story today: went to Dutch consular to apply for Schengen Visa and the guy told me that I won't be able to get visa with my RTD if I don't have a PR card. I told him that I haven't received my PR card yet and I'm still a refugee. Then we were arguing and I said that this sounds like discrimination because I can't travel to NL. He went to out to make a phone call, took him half an hour, then he came back and said "ok I will take you application but I can't promise you get visa, they will make a decision at Visa center"

Guys what do you think? is he just incompetent and doesn't what he says, or Dutch Visa center in Washington is discriminating us?
I want to believe the first option is much more obvious because I couldn't find any information that Dutch visa center do not accept Canadian RTD without PR card.

Any ideas?
Believe Germany is the only country that will accept RTD in Schengen area. Things may have changed given the influx of refugees. They aren't discriminating against you. Any country can refuse to admit a person based on their own laws. Many countries don't recognize RTDs.

Reactions: Buletruck

Ivan Koko

Aug 22, 2018
Believe Germany is the only country that will accept RTD in Schengen area. Things may have changed given the influx of refugees. They aren't discriminating against you. Any country can refuse to admit a person based on their own laws. Many countries don't recognize RTDs.
Germany is the country where I do not need Schengen visa to travel, I just need my RTD.
But to other countries I do need visa, so they use my RTD to provide that visa. That's how I got my US visa for instance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Germany is the country where I do not need Schengen visa to travel, I just need my RTD.
But to other countries I do need visa, so they use my RTD to provide that visa. That's how I got my US visa for instance
I believe those who have previously travelled to other euro countries entered Germany then travelled overland to the other country. Now that there are more checks on the borders you can't do that easily anymore. No guarantee you will get a visa and a country is no obligated to issue a visa to anyone. You always have the option of going to Germany and having your family visit you there if you are not travelling for business.

Ivan Koko

Aug 22, 2018
I believe those who have previously travelled to other euro countries entered Germany then travelled overland to the other country. Now that there are more checks on the borders you can't do that easily anymore. No guarantee you will get a visa and a country is no obligated to issue a visa to anyone. You always have the option of going to Germany and having your family visit you there if you are not travelling for business.
Thank you! I guess that would be my only option to go to Germany and take a train to NL. I don’t remember any checks on the train cause the border doesn’t actually exists:)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you! I guess that would be my only option to go to Germany and take a train to NL. I don’t remember any checks on the train cause the border doesn’t actually exists:)
Since the influx of refugee there is now often border checks especially on trains.

rowanlan

Jul 31, 2018
i know maybe someone ask but for latest status . anyone recently travel to Mexico with RTD without PR card? do we Need visa if not yet have PR ?
what about Cuba?

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Thank you for creating such an amazing thread that's full of very useful information and I would like to share my experience as well.

My claim was accepted July 11th 2018, went to GATINEAU to apply for RTD in July 30 2018 and used express service ( next day service ) but you have to show the reasons you are applying for a rush RTD. Things went well, and I went for pick up the next day.

I went to the Malaysian embassy and was granted the visa in the same day. Requirements are ( bank statement,
itinerary for hotel and return flight, filled application, and 2 passport sized photos)

I booked a direct flight to Germany, entering was very smooth, officer asked where I was going and how much money I had, thats all. I rented out a car and drove 4 hours from Frankfurt Airport to Brussels Belgium to visit my sister who I hadn’t seen for 5 years. Stayed there for 3 days.
Also, went to Paris France, Amsterdam NL. A week later I drove back to Frankfurt dropped the car off and flew to Malaysia and when arrived they gave me 30 days stay. I stayed there for 30 days with my family then booked a ticket to Cambodia and was granted a visa at the airport for 30 days as well. While in Malaysia I went to the embassy of Thailand to apply for the visa. I applied with the needed documents again ( bank statement, flight booking and hotel reservation) I was called next day for pick up. I went to Thailand and was given 90 days stay. I’m currently in Bangkok Thailand.

Thank you Canada from the bottom of my heart. I love you so much you are my second home. You welcomed me and gave me a new life. Because of the Canadian travel document I was able to easily travel, visit friends and family, and enjoy vacation. See you soon my Canada ♥♥

I hope the information I shared would be useful to many of you. Wish you all the best.

Last edited: