hello guys please help
what i need to apply for travel document? my status
2009 claim asylum
2012 CONVENTION REFUGEE claim accept
2014 got my PR
2014 travel with my national passport with PR
2015 travel with my national passport with PR
2016 my national passport expired
please this is my status in Canada what exact document i need to send with my travel document application form,
i look (check list) documents but I did not understand what document i should send with my application form

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
canadatraveldocument said:
hello guys please help
what i need to apply for travel document? my status
2009 claim asylum
2012 CONVENTION REFUGEE claim accept
2014 got my PR
2014 travel with my national passport with PR
2015 travel with my national passport with PR
2016 my national passport expired
please this is my status in Canada what exact document i need to send with my travel document application form,
i look (check list) documents but I did not understand what document i should send with my application form
Your refugee status revoked once you use national/ home country passport to travel, because:

1. When you cross the border with this passport you declare thereby that you are the citizen of that country and under the protection of that country.
2. If something happens with you during the visit you will be able to apply for some kind of help only to the Embassy of your Country of origin because you possess the passport of this country.

http://yourlegalrights.on.ca/common-question/how-can-refugee-lose-their-status-canada

PLEASE READ THE VERY FIRST POST IN THIS TOPIC. THAT'S WHAT FORUM IS FOR.

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
betteka said:
Your refugee status revoked once you use national/ home country passport to travel, because:

1. When you cross the border with this passport you declare thereby that you are the citizen of that country and under the protection of that country.
2. If something happens with you during the visit you will be able to apply for some kind of help only to the Embassy of your Country of origin because you possess the passport of this country.

yourlegalrights.on.ca/common-question/how-can-refugee-lose-their-status-canada

PLEASE READ THE VERY FIRST POST IN THIS TOPIC. THAT'S WHAT FORUM IS FOR.
I didnt get it what you mean,i never went back home i just travel with to germany and Armenia . when i got my PR ,the immigration agent gave me back my national passport and stamped with immigration stamp and wrote travel number on my national passport, and she told me you can travel with your national passport!

Reactions: Toronto1971

Sim93

Dec 3, 2016
Hi guys i have a question i will be so thankfull if somebody answered me from his experience the question is (i have a canadian refugee travel document and pr card and i can go to germany without visa so im going to see my friends there and we gonna take a ride to switzerland for couple pf days is that possible? Or you cant travel outside germany? Thankk youu

FISHER321

Sep 3, 2016
I didnt get it what you mean,i never went back home i just travel with to germany and Armenia . when i got my PR ,the immigration agent gave me back my national passport and stamped with immigration stamp and wrote travel number on my national passport, and she told me you can travel with your national passport!
Betteka is totally right...CIC returns back you national passport as a piece of paper belongs to you (memories)...renew of national passport or using it to travel to third country could be considered a re-availment...you can apply for RTD to travel to germany or armenia provided that you didn't flee from those countries primarily when you claim refugee case

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
you cannot use your home passport to travel even if you didnt go back to home country. that's what Refugee Travel Document is for, to replace your passport in that period you have not yet a Canadian citizen.

If you feel you're right and the WHOLE forum is wrong, goodluck then. Just count the days until you are no longer a Convention refugee, don't bother thinking you will gain Canadian citizenship.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
key78 said:
The Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) can apply to the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) for an order that takes away someone's status as a protected person. And therefore, his PR as a protected person

One type of order that does this is called a "cessation" order. (The Minister can also apply for a “vacation” order. There are also other reasons for cessation not discussed here.)

What is cessation?
The IRB makes a cessation order if it decides after a hearing that a person no longer needs refugee protection.

In some cases, cessation can lead to a refugee also losing their permanent resident status.

Even permanent residents who have lived in Canada for many years could be forced to leave.

One of the reasons that a refugee can lose their permanent resident status is if they voluntarily go back under the protection of their "country of nationality". This is the country they were a citizen of when they fled.

Going back under the protection of the country of nationality is called "re-availment".

The Minister may apply for cessation based on this reason if a protected person has:

travelled to their country of nationality
applied for or renewed a passport issued by that country
How would the Minister find out about a person's passport or travel history?
When a permanent resident comes back to Canada, a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer questions them.

CBSA officers look for cases where the Minister could apply for cessation.

The Minister might also apply for cessation if a protected person applies for Canadian citizenship and has visited their home country in the last four years.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) asks citizenship applicants about every trip they took outside Canada in the last four years. They have to say where they went, for how long, and the reason they travelled.

CIC can also get information from CBSA about every time a person enters Canada.

Any type of application that asks for information about travel history could put a protected person at risk. This is because it could lead to the Minister applying for cessation.

These types of applications include:

an application for Canadian citizenship
an application to Passport Canada for a refugee travel document
an application to CIC for a new or replacement permanent resident card
an application to CIC to sponsor a spouse or partner in the home country if the sponsor has visited them there

How can a permanent resident avoid a cessation application?
A protected person who is not a Canadian citizen should:

not apply for or renew a passport from their country of nationality or travel to that country
get legal advice before making any application to CIC or Passport Canada
If they need to travel, they should use a refugee travel document instead of a passport from their country of nationality. If they need to go back to that country, they should get legal advice before going so they understand the risks.

A protected person should also get legal advice before applying for citizenship in a country other than Canada.

Getting a new citizenship can also lead to a cessation order that strips a refugee of their permanent resident status and leads to removal from Canada.

What should a protected person do if the Minister has applied for cessation?
They should get legal help.

A lawyer may be able to convince the IRB that the Minister's application should fail. For example, the person may have returned to their country or gotten a passport for reasons that show that they didn't go back under the protection of that country.

If there already is a cessation order, it is difficult to challenge the decision. But a lawyer can ask the Federal Court if it will agree to review the decision.

Yes there is a high chance of losing it and being deported from Canada. Governmentstrip permanent resident status from refugees who were granted asylum in Canada and later returned to the country where they once faced persecution.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/refugees/vacation/index.asp
Again:

If they need to travel, they should use a refugee travel document instead of a passport from their country of nationality.

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
Hi everyone,
i'm a PR-refugee, i had to renew my national passport and i used it only once to travel to see my family in a different country than my country of origin, but this country doesn't accept RTD, i was never stopped at the airport on my way back to Canada or questioned at the boarder how do i know if my PR is revoked or not

FISHER321

Sep 3, 2016
Probably you mean GCC countries(gulf) middle east .....i suggest that you to confer your lawyer than eating your nails.
as i understood from several web pages ...it's not 100% that your refugee status will be revoked due to reavailment...some cases were not convicted in court just due to using/renew his national passport, as the never meant to accept their home country protection

canadatraveldocument

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Montreal101 said:
Hi everyone,
i'm a PR-refugee, i had to renew my national passport and i used it only once to travel to see my family in a different country than my country of origin, but this country doesn't accept RTD, i was never stopped at the airport on my way back to Canada or questioned at the boarder how do i know if my PR is revoked or not
already you are in trouble, went home by your national passport and again you want renew it at your home country embassy or in back home this is not good and very high risk for your future,, if you do not get caught while you back to Canada then 100% be sure they will get you while you having your citizenship interview,, so don not renew it your passport,and myself i had use my national passport but never go back and i had it before i apply refugee inside Canada so i dont renew it and i want to apply RTD

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
already you are in trouble, went home by your national passport and again you want renew it at your home country embassy or in back home this is not good and very high risk for your future,, if you do not get caught while you back to Canada then 100% be sure they will get you while you having your citizenship interview,, so don not renew it your passport,and myself i had use my national passport but never go back and i had it before i apply refugee inside Canada so i dont renew it and i want to apply RTD
It seems you didn't read my question well, i didn't go to my home country, my passport was expired when i received it back, i had to renew it and i only used it once to meet my family in a country that doesn't acknowledge RTD

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Montreal101 said:
It seems you didn't read my question well, i didn't go to my home country, my passport was expired when i received it back, i had to renew it and i only used it once to meet my family in a country that doesn't acknowledge RTD
The Minister may apply for cessation based on this reason if a protected person has:

travelled to their country of nationality
applied for or renewed a passport issued by that country
How would the Minister find out about a person's passport or travel history?
When a permanent resident comes back to Canada, a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer questions them.
Just count the days until CBSA gives you a call.

FISHER321

Sep 3, 2016
betteka, Canadatraveldocument.
It's always appreciated to have preventive approach when highlighting issues that someone here might be in need of, however, it should not appear in the form of decision acting in place of federal court /IRCC,IRB or CIC.
Our colleague Montreal101 request info about action made where he is not sure of the consequence might be, you both gave judgments that his case is hopeless and it's just a matter of time to revoke his refugee case and PR.
It is true that any visit home creates a risk, but not every visit home constitutes reavailing oneself of the country's protection ….. an example to this:
Federal Court Decisions
The Board rejected an application made by the Minister to cease the refugee protection of ### (the respondent) pursuant to paragraph 108(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, SC 2001, c 27 [IRPA]. The Board found that the respondent had not reavailed himself of the protection of his country of nationality, when he applied for and obtained a Pakistani passport. For the reasons that follow, the application is dismissed
You should refer to:
http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/100670/index.do?r=AAAAAQAJcmVhdmFpbGVkAQ.

So please you should advise Montreal101 to see a lawyer ,see lawyer and see lawyer

Reactions: Iyad717

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
FISHER321 said:
betteka, Canadatraveldocument.
It's always appreciated to have preventive approach when highlighting issues that someone here might be in need of, however, it should not appear in the form of decision acting in place of federal court /IRCC,IRB or CIC.
Our colleague Montreal101 request info about action made where he is not sure of the consequence might be, you both gave judgments that his case is hopeless and it's just a matter of time to revoke his refugee case and PR.
It is true that any visit home creates a risk, but not every visit home constitutes reavailing oneself of the country's protection ..... an example to this:
Federal Court Decisions
The Board rejected an application made by the Minister to cease the refugee protection of ### (the respondent) pursuant to paragraph 108(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, SC 2001, c 27 [IRPA]. The Board found that the respondent had not reavailed himself of the protection of his country of nationality, when he applied for and obtained a Pakistani passport. For the reasons that follow, the application is dismissed
You should refer to:

So please you should advise Montreal101 to see a lawyer ,see lawyer and see lawyer
Many thanks for your constructive reply