+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
Does anyone get the Refugee travel document application ? did you apply yet? Any updates when are they resuming it?
I applied for RTD last week, they received my application along with my old RTD but nothing yet. I think resumption of processing should begin when the quarantine act ends (hopefully they keep the date as planned for Aug. 31st). As soon as quarantine act ends, travel will most likely resume :) Canadian nationals are already being accepted in many European countries as far I have seen online.

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
I applied for RTD last week, they received my application along with my old RTD but nothing yet. I think resumption of processing should begin when the quarantine act ends (hopefully they keep the date as planned for Aug. 31st). As soon as quarantine act ends, travel will most likely resume :) Canadian nationals are already being accepted in many European countries as far I have seen online.
Good to hear that.. but I need to travel quickly as it’s urgent

Reactions: Anonyref

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
Good to hear that.. but I need to travel quickly as it’s urgent
If you have an urgent need to travel, you can contact IRCC through their webform as it is outlined here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html#travel-document

Passport and travel document services in Canada (available for urgent travel only)
You can only get passport or travel document services in Canada if you have a valid reason to travel urgently.

Valid urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling

• for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
  • because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
  • because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
  • to support an essential service
  • for humanitarian reasons
    • You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reasons.
The loss of airfare or other travel expenses is not a valid reason for urgent travel.

If you submitted an application in person or by mail and you don’t need to travel urgently, we’ll process it when services resume.

If you don’t need a passport or travel document urgently, wait until services resume.

Get a refugee travel document or certificate of identity to travel urgently
Fill out the IRCC Web form:

• select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
  • include your travel date
  • include the reason you need urgent services

Reactions: Mano1110786

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
If you have an urgent need to travel, you can contact IRCC through their webform as it is outlined here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/passport.html#travel-document

Passport and travel document services in Canada (available for urgent travel only)
You can only get passport or travel document services in Canada if you have a valid reason to travel urgently.

Valid urgent travel reasons include if you’re travelling

• for a medical reason because you have a serious illness
  • because of the serious illness or death of someone you know
  • because you’ll have financial problems from the loss of a job or business
  • to support an essential service
  • for humanitarian reasons
    • You need a letter from your organization that lists the humanitarian reasons.
The loss of airfare or other travel expenses is not a valid reason for urgent travel.

If you submitted an application in person or by mail and you don’t need to travel urgently, we’ll process it when services resume.

If you don’t need a passport or travel document urgently, wait until services resume.

Get a refugee travel document or certificate of identity to travel urgently
Fill out the IRCC Web form:

• select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
  • include your travel date
  • include the reason you need urgent services
Thanks Bro for this information

Mursal Waheed

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Hi
I just want to apply for my travel doc to travel to Pakistan or India to meet my young kids who are 2,5 yrs and 1,5 year
Does anyone know how long it takes ? And can we apply in person?

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi
I just want to apply for my travel doc to travel to Pakistan or India to meet my young kids who are 2,5 yrs and 1,5 year
Does anyone know how long it takes ? And can we apply in person?
OMG!! If you are a refugee then you cannot go back to your hometown, Pakistan otherwise your status will be reverted. You’ll loose refugee status in canada

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
I applied through a web form thrice but every time it’s the same answer
Have you tried calling them? What answer did they give you?
It also could be that they are not considering the reason of your travel as urgent. I would advise you to call them and see what they say. Good luck! :)

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Have you tried calling them? What answer did they give you?
It also could be that they are not considering the reason of your travel as urgent. I would advise you to call them and see what they say. Good luck! :)
Yes I called them many times and they said that said that to contact through a web form only. And advised me to get my Pakistani passport from Etobicoke cic office. I mailed them a request too but no reply yet. Please tell that if I go to Ottawa to submit my application in person are they accepting it?

Anonyref

May 3, 2020
Yes I called them many times and they said that said that to contact through a web form only. And advised me to get my Pakistani passport from Etobicoke cic office. I mailed them a request too but no reply yet. Please tell that if I go to Ottawa to submit my application in person are they accepting it?
Sorry to hear that. That's kind of strange... why don't you try calling and say that you have tried to send webforms and always get a generic respond? Also, did they ask you to use your home country passport? That's pretty odd considering that protected persons arent supposed to do so.
Going to Ottawa will not work unfortunately as the office is closed. I have asked the same question and I was given this response. Are you trying to travel to your country of origin by the way?

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Sorry to hear that. That's kind of strange... why don't you try calling and say that you have tried to send webforms and always get a generic respond? Also, did they ask you to use your home country passport? That's pretty odd considering that protected persons arent supposed to do so.
Going to Ottawa will not work unfortunately as the office is closed. I have asked the same question and I was given this response. Are you trying to travel to your country of origin by the way?
Thanks for replying dear. No I’m travelling to Turkey. Tomorrow I will call them again as I have booked my ticket also for this purpose as it’s urgent to go in first week of August..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately the person you may have spoken with may not have been aware of reavailment. You should not use your home passport.

Reactions: Mano1110786