+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
what we should do to send the Travel Document Form for Refugee, please write the steps we need to follow... including if we should send the expired RTD with the application or we upload online??
You have to confirm first as they are not accepting the RTD applications during Covid 19 situations

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
I just received my Travel Document today. Does anyone know if US is issuing visas right now? Anyone have any experience on applying to US visa during the recent months? I am a full time student. Intend to travel next year or during my study break.

Reactions: Mano1110786

Dorothy111

Oct 1, 2018
Hi,
I would have three questions for you guys, this forum is awesome by the way I went through all the 78 pages and found super good information. All the time I call Passport Canada they either give me false information or just simply they tell me they don't know it, so this site is very helpful for many of us.

First question:
I'm planning on renewing my RTD since I became PR in the meantime and anyway my current RTD is about to expire within a few months. Do I know right that I have to provide the following documents in order to get the new RTD which will be valid for 5 years?

1. Application form
2. Old Refugee Travel Document (which they will keep I assume)
3. PR Card
4. My nationality passport (that was seized by IRCC before I was getting my PR card)
I was told that I must get my nationality passport back from IRCC and once I get it back then I have to send it alongside with the RTD application to Passport Canada and they will keep it there, because I can't have two valid passports at the same time (my nationality passport is still valid that's why).

Do I know it right?

Second question:
I know that both Germany and Croatia are visa-free countries. Then can I travel to Croatia with one stop in between in Germany without any visa? Even I hold RTD and PR card, I still am concerned about traveling without a visa to Europe.

Last question:
What about Austria? Has anyone any experience on traveling to Austria with RTD, PR card and ofcourse the Schengen visa? How hard to get a Schengen visa lately to Austria with this kind of passport of ours?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi,
I would have three questions for you guys, this forum is awesome by the way I went through all the 78 pages and found super good information. All the time I call Passport Canada they either give me false information or just simply they tell me they don't know it, so this site is very helpful for many of us.

First question:
I'm planning on renewing my RTD since I became PR in the meantime and anyway my current RTD is about to expire within a few months. Do I know right that I have to provide the following documents in order to get the new RTD which will be valid for 5 years?

1. Application form
3. PR Card
4. My nationality passport (that was seized by IRCC before I was getting my PR card)
I was told that I must get my nationality passport back from IRCC and once I get it back then I have to send it alongside with the RTD application to Passport Canada and they will keep it there, because I can't have two valid passports at the same time (my nationality passport is still valid that's why).

Do I know it right?

Second question:
I know that both Germany and Croatia are visa-free countries. Then can I travel to Croatia with one stop in between in Germany without any visa? Even I hold RTD and PR card, I still am concerned about traveling without a visa to Europe.

Last question:
What about Austria? Has anyone any experience on traveling to Austria with RTD, PR card and ofcourse the Schengen visa? How hard to get a Schengen visa lately to Austria with this kind of passport of ours?

We are sailing the same boat as I have my PR too and my travel document is expiring soon. For your home country passport for m not sure that they will give back or not. As I have filed an application to get my home country passport back. Double check the requirements of applying to RTD and application. Submission as they are not accepting any RTD application do u have any updated knowledge? I’m also stuck with the same same situation as I need to travel to Turkey soon but my RTD is expiring and can’t get visa. I called IRCC many times but all in vain.
for visas always call the embassies that you are reaching to, they will provide you an authentic knowledge.
beat of luck

Pindimurree

Star Member
Nov 1, 2015
Oshawa
Hi,

First question:

1. Application form
3. PR Card

Do I know it right?

Second question:

Last question:

Hey! So I'll try my best to explain this. You'll fill out your application the same way you did before! You'll provide all the same supporting documents, you don't need anything new.

Where it will ask you if you have a RTD or not? You will select yes.

Then it will ask if you want the old RTD back after they cancel it. You can choose yes. They will cancel old one and return it to you if you want it. Then they will issue new one. Process is similar to first time you applied. Please note: They want you to send them the old RTD, not your home country's passport.

All you need to send is:

• Proof of immigration status in Canada (original only)
  • A document to support your identity.
  • Two identical passport photos (the name and the complete address of the photographer and the date the photos was taken must be included on the back of one of the photos. Read the full requirements for more information).
  • A copy of the refusal letter if you have applied for Canadian citizenship (if applicable).
  • Any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name in the last five years (if applicable).
As you can see, it doesn't ask you to send your old passport to them. Just keep the old passport and apple for new RTD same as last time. They won't make an issue.

In regards to your question about traveling to specific countries. You can find all the necessary information from the country's consulate website. If you want more confirmation? Just email the consulate ask them to verify. Once they reply, you can keep the email printed as proof. These are two steps you can take to make sure your ID will be accepted. Otherwise, I haven't heard of anyone facing too much trouble. But remember, for you to get transit visa.. you need valid visa for your final destination. Which would be Schengen visa for Europe if you're traveling.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

First question:

1. Application form
3. PR Card

Do I know it right?

Second question:

Last question:

You don't need to give you home country passport. You can send in a copy and explain the CBSA still has your passport. If you don't have a copy just explain the CBSA still has your passport.

Dorothy111

Oct 1, 2018
We are sailing the same boat as I have my PR too and my travel document is expiring soon. For your home country passport for m not sure that they will give back or not. As I have filed an application to get my home country passport back. Double check the requirements of applying to RTD and application. Submission as they are not accepting any RTD application do u have any updated knowledge? I’m also stuck with the same same situation as I need to travel to Turkey soon but my RTD is expiring and can’t get visa. I called IRCC many times but all in vain.
for visas always call the embassies that you are reaching to, they will provide you an authentic knowledge.
beat of luck
Unfortunately I don’t know anything about when they will reopen. If they will, my first thing to do will be to submit my application in person.
Good luck on your travel to Turkey. Hopefully you can make it anytime soon!

Dorothy111

Oct 1, 2018
Hey! So I'll try my best to explain this. You'll fill out your application the same way you did before! You'll provide all the same supporting documents, you don't need anything new.

Where it will ask you if you have a RTD or not? You will select yes.

Then it will ask if you want the old RTD back after they cancel it. You can choose yes. They will cancel old one and return it to you if you want it. Then they will issue new one. Process is similar to first time you applied. Please note: They want you to send them the old RTD, not your home country's passport.

All you need to send is:

• Proof of immigration status in Canada (original only)
  • A document to support your identity.
  • Two identical passport photos (the name and the complete address of the photographer and the date the photos was taken must be included on the back of one of the photos. Read the full requirements for more information).
  • A copy of the refusal letter if you have applied for Canadian citizenship (if applicable).
  • Any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name in the last five years (if applicable).
As you can see, it doesn't ask you to send your old passport to them. Just keep the old passport and apple for new RTD same as last time. They won't make an issue.

In regards to your question about traveling to specific countries. You can find all the necessary information from the country's consulate website. If you want more confirmation? Just email the consulate ask them to verify. Once they reply, you can keep the email printed as proof. These are two steps you can take to make sure your ID will be accepted. Otherwise, I haven't heard of anyone facing too much trouble. But remember, for you to get transit visa.. you need valid visa for your final destination. Which would be Schengen visa for Europe if you're traveling.
Thank you for all the information I really appreciate your helpful response!

Reactions: Pindimurree

nassb

Feb 5, 2019
I have received my RTD by mail last week. Applied for it in Feb 2020. it was printed in May though. So apparently they are working in a slower pace.