+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

EmA123

Nov 28, 2020
Hello
Please can you tell me the phone number for travel document urgent ?
I want to contact them because I sent with mail the application.

Fpas

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Thanks @sohaib1 Can I travel with my passport while I am submitting asylum application? Not my home country. I would like to travel to other countries. Is that possible?
Hi Sofía.
1. Do you have a valid visa to leave and re-enter Canada without issues? If you have a visitor visa, think that immigration can denied you to re-enter Canada if the believe you are living in the country without the proper visa.
2. If you are in Canada and you are planning to apply for Refugee it is not convenient for your case to leave the country to visit any other country in the world, it will play against you in your hearing, you would have to explain very well why you didn't claim for refugee first time you entered Canada and why you didn't apply for refugee in the other country you are planning to visit.
3. Once your refugee claim has been accepted, immigration takes all your passports so you are not allow to leave the country until your hearing. If you leave the country before your hearing your application is cancel.
4. Once you receive your approval after hearing, you are allow to request a Refugee Travel Document to travel out of Canada. The process normally take just 2 weeks, now is longer because of Covid.

AryaRobinson

Dec 21, 2019
write through the webform, give it a try i think they are relaxing the rules but not officially.
i was told to follow this order so they may forward it to the COI office.

Therefore, we invite you to resubmit your request by filling out the IRCC Webform and choose Certificate of Identity/Refugee Travel Document in the drop-down menu under the heading Enquiry. Please include the following information:

• Surname and complete given name (including middle name, if applicable) - exactly as they appear on the passport or identity document,
  • Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD),
  • Client ID Number, UCI or Application Number,
  • Country of birth,
  • (mandatory) The reason for the urgency,
  • (mandatory) Your estimated travel date,
  • (if applicable) The date on which the application was submitted to IRCC,
  • (if applicable) The mailing method (courier, Canada Post (registered or regular mail), etc.),
    • company used,
    • tracking number, and
  • All documents submitted with your previous request.
Once we receive the above information, we will gladly forward it to the responsible office.
Hello, Thank you for this information. I could not find the category for Certificate of Identity/Refugee Travel Document on the drop down list. Were you able to do it? If yes, can you share the steps you followed? Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks @sohaib1 Can I travel with my passport while I am submitting asylum application? Not my home country. I would like to travel to other countries. Is that possible?
If you apply for asylum you can’t leave Canada without abandoning your asylum claim. You will have to relinquish your passport when claiming asylum and if you get approved for asylum you can not use your home country passport or reapply for your home country passport or your risk losing your status in Canada due to reavailment. If you claim asylum expect to remain in Canada for up to multiple years without leaving.

juanbuka88

Apr 12, 2022
hi guys, I'm from south America and i got into canada by roxham road that means i entered into canada illegally, hence i never sealed my passport on the US, I recently got my acceptance letter as protected person and I will apply for PR. Does anybody know what happens with my US Visa once I get my passport back from the ircc??? I mean will my Visa still be valid??do I have to apply for a new one?? Did I get banned by the us somehow??

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
hi guys, I'm from south America and i got into canada by roxham road that means i entered into canada illegally, hence i never sealed my passport on the US, I recently got my acceptance letter as protected person and I will apply for PR. Does anybody know what happens with my US Visa once I get my passport back from the ircc??? I mean will my Visa still be valid??do I have to apply for a new one?? Did I get banned by the us somehow??
Well with what I heard, once you cross the border illegally to Canada through United States Canada will inform them and your visa or anything concerning you will be canceled over there which means it will be recorded that you have existed the country. Which part of SA are you from?

Mus87

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Does anyone know if Canadian RTD needs to be valid for at least six months to travel to the US or not?
I’m asking because I know Canadian passports are exempted from the six months rule so I wonder if the same applies to Canadian RTDs.
P.S. I have a valid US visa.

Thanks for your help in advance.

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
But they are processing urgent requests only, I've seen some posts with people who applied last May and still don't have it. Do you know of anyone that applied and got it within even a few months?
Yes, I applied on March 16th and I received it on March 28th. When I submitted the request using the webform, I mentioned that I need to travel urgently due to a personal emergency but I didn't submit any proof and was never asked to do so. After I sent out the webform, I received a call in about 3 days and the officer asked me if I wanted to submit my application by mail or online via e-post. I chose e-post and I received the invitation email an hour later after the call. Submitted the application with the required documents and boom 2 weeks later the new RTD arrived in my mailbox.