+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

silverxstorm

Mar 20, 2022
Hi Guys
I m planning to travel to Asia. Does anyone visit the Philippines, Thailand, or Indonesia with RTD?
Do you need visas for these countries?

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
Never ever use your home country passport or your refugee status will be revoked.
There is nothing in the rules that says your PR will be revoked if u use your country passport. You just can not use it to go to your home country thats all. Lets be guided and not spilling out falsehood.

Reactions: NaAzaAn

116sg17

Jan 26, 2021
There is nothing in the rules that says your PR will be revoked if u use your country passport. You just can not use it to go to your home country thats all. Lets be guided and not spilling out falsehood.
The rule simply states that if someone renews home country passport, uses home country passport, and/or visits home country, it can be argued that they have voluntarily re-availed themselves in protection of their home country. If the case is pursued and results in the protected person status being terminated, that in return terminates the person PR status under current law.

Whether IRCC and CBSA goes after people for simply renewing for using home country passport (without travel to home country) can be a different discussion. I myself only saw cases where cessation happened due to travel to home country. I never came across a cessation application just because an individual renewed or used home passport to travel to countries other than their home country.

Not encouraging use or renew of passport considering that current law sees these actions as re availment which means IRCC and CBSA can technically try to cessate the status even if there have never been such cases in past.

Reactions: SSKAA

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Yes, I agree with you
Actually I’m PR now and wanna apply for RTD but see some people use their original passport and has no issue.
Thanks
if you already a PR. You can use home country passport but don't go back to your home country.
If you use it to travel somewhere else, you will be fine. Remember to not carry both, travel with only one either RTD or passport.
don't listen to false information, I have couple of friends who did the same thing and they are both Canadian citizens at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: NaAzaAn