+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee case under file review process for less complex cases

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you when did you get the decision? Is it after March 15?
Did you get any update by now? I recieved such a letter and submitted all supporting documents in 15 days, early March, but no news yet.
Think you have to expect longer processing times. Even without covid it wouldn’t have been unreasonable to not have heard anything by now. With covid things will take longer. There are people from expedited countries that still wait a year. It is much better than before where some waited over 3 years in some cases. People expect expedited to be very fast and it is fast but only relative to other refugee claimants.

Mursal Waheed

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
hello
i have did my refugee claiim in Oct 21 2019, and received my brown paper as refugee claimant in 29th Oct 2019. and received a letter from IRB in Feb 2020 that my case is less complex and after that no reply. i have two small kids in my home country

Mursal Waheed

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
I am not sure whether the IRB works or not. i have a lawyer who doesnt reply me at all and he stopped working and i really wana chnage him coz he is not helful at all if anyone kmnows whetehr i can chnage the legal aid lawyer or not
also my case was going so fast but now havent heard anything from Feb onward. if anyone can tell me how can i contact IRB

Ilyas2011

May 15, 2020
I am not sure whether the IRB works or not. i have a lawyer who doesnt reply me at all and he stopped working and i really wana chnage him coz he is not helful at all if anyone kmnows whetehr i can chnage the legal aid lawyer or not
also my case was going so fast but now havent heard anything from Feb onward. if anyone can tell me how can i contact IRB
I think we both have same timeline- I also started in October and received letter in Feb and submitted the requested documents in early March. No news yet. Are u Afghan? Go to IRB site and search for news, you can get email address to send email to IRB.

Reactions: Mursal Waheed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can try to change your lawyer. Legal aid lawyers are free but very busy so not as responsive as a private lawyer who has the luxury of billing you for every call you make. Your case is within normal processing times. Hearings stopped in March and workers were at home so it is not surprising that you haven’t heard from anyone. Expedited processing means your case is likely to be heard in 1 year versus 2+. Many assume expedited processing is much faster than it is. Some do get lucky and are processed in closer to 6 months but that isn’t the norm. Due to covid there wI’ll be extra delays. Assume you researched the asylum process before arriving in Canada and knew that you would need to be prepared to be separated for 3+ years from your children.

Mursal Waheed

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
I really didnt know about the timing at all
And they have said my case is fast track
I received the letter for less complex file review without hearing soon in 1month

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I received the letter for less complex file review without hearing soon in 1month
Would encourage you to read through similar cases on the forum. Others have also assumed that fast track means very fast and in truth it is just such faster than asylum seekers in the general pool. During the covid lockdown all in person hearing have been cancelled. Processing has been limited because work from home is often not possible for privacy reasons. Things happen quickly at the beginning and then the waiting starts. Once you have prepared all your submissions all you can do is wait. The hearings that were cancelled are likely to be rescheduled first before others are given hearings. Most less complex cases are usually heard in between 6-12 months. There are likely to be extra delays due to covid.

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
I got accepted through less complex file review without hearing and got my decision through mail yesterday. This means IRB is working on your case even during pandemic times. Be patient and you will hopefully receive the good news soon. Good luck!

RefugeeClaim1

Apr 5, 2020
Congrats! Can you share your timeline please? And province?
I got accepted through less complex file review without hearing and got my decision through mail yesterday. This means IRB is working on your case even during pandemic times. Be patient and you will hopefully receive the good news soon. Good luck!

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
Congrats! Can you share your timeline please? And province?
November 2019 my case referred to IRB, Mid February 2020 I got the notification that my claim will be considered under less complex cases and have to submit some documents including certificate of readiness by beginning of March 2020. I did it and got the approval in mid June. The province is BC.

abdullah1982

May 19, 2014
Hey everyone
I am working in Ïmmigration consultation office in Vancouver
I have experience in short hearing case
For a family of six person, they have apply for refugee claimants in Vancouver and they on the end of October 2019,
They have send them that there case was selected to a short hearing case in the March 2020,in the 02 May 2020 they received the the acceptance letter
It was super fast