+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recommendations for what my primary occupation should be?

azizn03

Jan 6, 2021
So I am looking to apply via the express entry program as a Federal Skilled Worker. All my documentation is pretty much completed, all that is left is to complete my IELTS exam and receive my completed ECA report by the end of the month.

The main issue being I have 2 years of foreign work experience with NOC code 2173 Software engineers and designers as a DevOps engineer. Details of that NOC code as shown below:

• Broad occupational category 2 - Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
  • Skill level A - Occupations usually require university education.
  • Major group 21 - Professional occupations in natural and applied sciences
  • Minor group 217 - Computer and information systems professionals
I also have 3 years of experience with NOC code 2282 User support technicians doing various roles in that field.

• Broad occupational category 2 - Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
  • Skill level B - Occupations usually require a college education, specialized training or apprenticeship training.
  • Major group 22 - Technical occupations related to natural and applied sciences
  • Minor group 228 - Technical occupations in computer and information systems
So if I submitted my express entry profile providing I had the highest possible IELTS scores with my 2282 NOC code experience I would have 474 CRS points but with the 2173 NOC code with 2 years experience, I would have 449 points.

So my main worry is, whilst I would have a lot more CRS points if I choose the lesser skilled occupation but with more work experience I imagine there would be less chance to be considered for the Ontario PNP program as it is not listed as my main profession or even chosen in general. It would essentially take me another full year to gain the 3 years of 2173 NOC experience.

Could anyone suggest what would be the best option to choose here? Thanks.