Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We are landed Canada on 16 Dec 2019 and went out of Canada on 30 Dec 2019 before getting our first PR card.
I would like to know how can I enter Canada again from USA using land border? What documents are needed ?
What is the meaning of "private vehicle"? Which type of transport is considered private vehicle as per CIC?
You need your passport.

A private vehicle is a non-commercial vehicle, such as a rental or a personal vehicle. Many have been able to cross in a taxi as well.

Jan 29, 2020
No it is not at the discretion of the airline. As a PR you need a PR card or a PRTD. Yes, eTA is not an option but that is intentional.

Believe me and all the others: You have no chance, literally zero chance, to board the plane without either an eTA or a valid PR card or a valid PRTD. You will make it all the way to the gate and when they swipe your passport there will be a large "Do not board" message appearing on their screen that they will not miss, as previous posters already pointed out. They will then ask you if you have a PR card or PRTD which you don't and they will then deny you boarding. Guaranteed. There is no hoping. Period.

I tried it myself by intentionally not showing my PR card when taking flights to Canada. I tried it with flights from the US to Canada, with flights from Europe to Canada, with flights on Air Canada, with flights on British Airways, with flights on Lufthansa, with direct flights, with connecting flights via a third country... In all cases I made it at most to the gate (if even) and then I was not let on board until I produced my PR card.

So, please believe me and all the previous posters: If you don't have an eTA, a PR card or a PRTD you will not board that plane.

Hi there. But can one LEAVE out of Canada without a physical PRC to go to Mexico and then USA by plane. Then drive across the border?
Will they let me on the plane leaving out og

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi there. But can one LEAVE out of Canada without a physical PRC to go to Mexico and then USA by plane. Then drive across the border?
Will they let me on the plane leaving out og
You do not need a PR card to leave Canada only a passport. You cannot board a plane back from Mexico without a valid PR or PRTD. You could with a passport and a US visa or an ESTA if a US visa waiver passport holder travel back via the US/Canada land border

Reactions: dpenabill

Pathis07

Dec 1, 2018
You do not need a PR card to leave Canada only a passport. You cannot board a plane back from Mexico without a valid PR or PRTD. You could with a passport and a US visa or an ESTA if a US visa waiver passport holder travel back via the US/Canada land border
I am a Indian ppt holder and have received my CoPR. I intend to do a soft landing and return back to India before I receive my PR Card. Under the travel documents section of the Air Canada website (https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/travel-documents.html), they allow only the PR card as the valid travel document and not even a PRTD. I wanted to apply for a PRTD after I finish my landing process since I cant have the PR card delivered to me from Canada.
Is this advisable ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a Indian ppt holder and have received my CoPR. I intend to do a soft landing and return back to India before I receive my PR Card. Under the travel documents section of the Air Canada website (https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/travel-documents.html), they allow only the PR card as the valid travel document and not even a PRTD. I wanted to apply for a PRTD after I finish my landing process since I cant have the PR card delivered to me from Canada.
Is this advisable ?
They will accept a PRTD as well.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Is this advisable ?
Read the official guidance

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/travelling-outside-canada-pr.html

Supree15

Sep 16, 2020

HimanshPawar

Apr 17, 2021
Hi All,
I received CoPR during April 2021 but all Flights were banned from India. I was not able to travel till date.

I am currently in India and planning to travel to Canada next month.

Do I need IM-1 visa for travelling to Canada or Can I travel using worker category Visa(currently holding).

Is it possible to use my existing Worker category Visa to land in Canada?

Could you please suggest how to proceed in this case?

Yo123

Aug 10, 2020
Hi All,

Please help me with my query , I was inland applicant for PR through CEC , I have received my eCopr but I am still waiting for my PR card , I am planning to visit USA and return back to Canada in my own private vehicle through Buffalo Niagara Falls border , can anyone let me know if I can travel with just my passport and eCopr and I would be allowed to come back to Canada with those documents only without any issue as I don’t have my PR card , thank you for your help

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,

Please help me with my query , I was inland applicant for PR through CEC , I have received my eCopr but I am still waiting for my PR card , I am planning to visit USA and return back to Canada in my own private vehicle through Buffalo Niagara Falls border , can anyone let me know if I can travel with just my passport and eCopr and I would be allowed to come back to Canada with those documents only without any issue as I don’t have my PR card , thank you for your help
You should be fine to return this way, yes.

Reactions: Buletruck

aab9560

Nov 24, 2021
Hello need a help.. PR card expired in May, New PR card is approved but sent to Local office which is closed for collection now..
PR card expired in 18 May 21-
traveling on december 8'21 to USA and returning by road to border(planning to walk across border) on December 26 '21.. as of december 26 would have 745 days in last 5 years (b/w 26dec 2016 - 26 dec 2021)

Any issue would be to enter with expired PR card.. I have a child who is canadian citizen, and have Driver license, insurance, health card, lease and been living for last 450 + days without break.. have a new job starting on January 10, 2022 too

Any help, guidance and similar experience would be highly appreciated !!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello need a help.. PR card expired in May, New PR card is approved but sent to Local office which is closed for collection now..
PR card expired in 18 May 21-
traveling on december 8'21 to USA and returning by road to border(planning to walk across border) on December 26 '21.. as of december 26 would have 745 days in last 5 years (b/w 26dec 2016 - 26 dec 2021)
In your 745 days calculation, are you properly accounting for the ~18 days between dec 8 and dec 16 as NOT being in Canada?

Any issue would be to enter with expired PR card.. I have a child who is canadian citizen, and have Driver license, insurance, health card, lease and been living for last 450 + days without break.. have a new job starting on January 10, 2022 too
The part of this that gives me pause is that the PR card was approved and held since May. Which, assuming you have been in Canada all of the time between May and now, implies that you were well below the 730 days when the card was approved and when the application was filed.

And then, in addition, that your card was held for pickup, something they seem to do when there is some doubt.

So - instinct tells me there's a bit more going on here, apart from possibility that the numbers don't add up. I don't want to say that there's necessarily a problem, but if this is all important to you and you wish to reduce risk, it may be more prudent to not leave Canada right now.

You may wish to look into this more carefully and consider cancelling your travel given your plans to start a new job.

I am not an expert though and could well be off-base; about all I'm saying is be cautious.

Last edited:

aab9560

Nov 24, 2021
Hello thank you for the response, please find more details -

Five years​
26 dec 2016 - 26 dec 2021​
Date from​
Date TO​
both Days ( including)​
Location​
2016​
not in canada​
2017​
not in canada​
2018​
22-Feb-18​
07-Mar-18​
14​
Canada​
08-Mar-18​
11-Oct-18​
India​
12-Oct-18​
24-Dec-18​
74​
Canada​
25-Dec-18​
04-Jan-19​
USA​
2019​
05-Jan-19​
22-Jan-19​
18​
Canada​
23-Jan-19​
11-Apr-19​
india​
12-Apr-19​
26-Apr-19​
15​
Canada​
27-Apr-19​
29-Apr-19​
USA (3 days)​
30-Apr-19​
28-Aug-19​
121​
canada​
29-Aug-19​
17-Oct-19​
india​
18-Oct-19​
24-Oct-19​
7​
canada​
25-Oct-19​
14-Jun-20​
India​
15-Jun-20​
30-Jul-20​
USA​
2020​
31-Jul-20​
31-Dec-20​
154​
canada​
2021​
01-Jan-21​
08-Dec-21​
342​
canada​
Total​
745​

- when i applied i added the factor of not completing days due to covid
- i have received confirmation on a webform from agent that card is approved an sent to local office for collection but vancouver local office is closed
- i plan to travel back to US and enter through road
- i have an urgent travel need and have been sending forms to IRCC on weekly basis for last 3 months along with calls

Any further guidance will be really helpful. !

In your 745 days calculation, are you properly accounting for the ~18 days between dec 8 and dec 16 as NOT being in Canada?

The part of this that gives me pause is that the PR card was approved and held since May. Which, assuming you have been in Canada all of the time between May and now, implies that you were well below the 730 days when the card was approved and when the application was filed.

And then, in addition, that your card was held for pickup, something they seem to do when there is some doubt.

So - instinct tells me there's a bit more going on here, apart from possibility that the numbers don't add up. I don't want to say that there's necessarily a problem, but if this is all important to you and you wish to reduce risk, it may be more prudent to not leave Canada right now.

You may wish to look into this more carefully and consider cancelling your travel given your plans to start a new job.

I am not an expert though and could well be off-base; about all I'm saying is be cautious.