+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by donnanne, Sep 20, 2017.

  1. Whichever one is closest to where you want to go...
    k.h.p. likes this.
  2. Any is fine, I think. Only if you're exporting your car, there are specific US border posts that must be used. For only landing, it doesn't matter. You can call the specific CBSA post ahead of time to confirm.
  3. Guys can someone help me with my question?

    My parents have COPR and are currently visiting me in the US. I will be taking them to Canada via road in my car. However, I am not a Canadian PR but I have a Canada visitor visa. Will this be an issue? Should the car be in their name to be accepted as private vehicle? This is not their first landing as PR. They landed in Toronto Airport directly from India. Please help.
  4. No, no issues. They are already PRs, and you have a visitor visa. The car is yours and you will (presumably) be returning to the US. You don't have to worry.

    If they don't have PR cards, they will need their passport and CoPR to reenter Canada.
  5. I concur in the observation by @21Goose . . . but will offer further clarifying observations.

    IF they landed and became PRs recently, or even any time less than three years ago, there should be NO PROBLEMS at all . . . upon presenting their passports and CoPR.

    Or, if otherwise they are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, there should be NO PROBLEMS at all.


    There is NO requirement that a PR returning to Canada with a passport plus CoPR be traveling in a "private vehicle."

    Explanation: I apprehend the question about the car, "Should the car be in their name to be accepted as private vehicle?" is about traveling to Canada without a valid PR card. Many discussions about PRs without a PR card returning to Canada focus on the fact that a PR can travel to Canada without a PR card if the PR can travel via the U.S. and get to Canada using "private" transportation.

    There is no requirement that the PR use private transportation. It is just that practically that is a way PRs can get to a Canadian Port-of-Entry (PoE) and then to a destination IN Canada.

    In particular, it does not really matter how the PR reaches the Canadian Port-of-Entry (PoE). A PR card is required to board commercial transportation coming to Canada. For example, a PR can use commercial transportation to get to the border, but practically this involves traveling by land in the U.S. to a land-border-crossing (including bridges).

    Moreover, if a commercial carrier allows the PR to travel in its vehicle (plane, boat or such) which is headed into Canada, that too works. Once at the PoE the PR must be allowed to enter Canada. But of course, with perhaps some rare exceptions, commercial carriers will NOT allow a PR to travel to a destination IN Canada in their conveyance unless the PR has a PR card or PR Travel Document. So, as a PRACTICAL matter, PRs without a PR card or Travel Document need to use some private form of transportation to get to a destination IN Canada.

    And, actually, if a PR is driving a car which, for example, is in the PR's name, that vehicle will ordinarily NOT be allowed into Canada UNLESS it is properly registered in Canada or the PR is properly importing the vehicle. (Technically any car must be properly "imported" into Canada in order to be driven across the border, but foreign registered vehicles are routinely, without any particular paperwork or formalities, granted temporary importation . . . so long as they are not vehicles owned by or registered in the name of a Canadian. So you can drive your car into Canada with no formal importation procedure.)

    Specific Observation Regarding PR RO concern:

    My impression is that this is not relevant to your parents' situation BUT to be clear . . . as has been observed in the other thread where you posed this query, if they landed more than three years ago, how it goes at the PoE could depend on whether they are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation (PR RO). If there are no RO compliance concerns, NO PROBLEM. Even if there are RO concerns (they landed more than three years ago and they are not in compliance with the 730 days presence in Canada obligation), they will still be allowed to enter Canada but could be issued a Report and Departure Order.
  6. Thanks so much for this explanation. I Would really appreciate an additional advise.
    Situation: My husband and I got out confirmation for permanent residence today. We are already in Canada, but have a 5 day trip booked and for next week by plane to the US. Can we travel with our CoPR and passports? We previously had work permits and both have valid ETa’s (Mexican and Italian passports).
    Does coPR invalided our ETa’s ?
    Flying with Porter no check in but as you said they scan it and it will appear instantly.
    Please help!
  7. If you haven’t landed yet you can travel with your ETAs and your home country passports.
  8. Thanks again Canuck!
    We got out CoPR at a citizenship office location by appointment and were asked about our last entry to canada date. The lady said we were going to receive our PR cards in the mail here in Toronto. Does that mean we landed? And if so does our ETa’s are void? Or how can I tell the difference between lander or non landed?
  9. Yes, it does. Therefore your eTAs should be cancelled/void.
    The simple statement that your cards are on their way is enough to confirm that you landed.
    You will need a valid PR card or a PRTD to board an aircraft back to Canada now. That is the "official" stance.
    canuck78 likes this.
  10. Hello,

    I recently did my landing and currently waiting on the PR card.

    At the time of landing, the visa officer only canceled the one time entry visa which we get when the permanent residence application is approved.

    He didn’t put any cross on my multiple entry work visa and the open work permit. Both the visa and the work permit is still valid for an another year.

    I need to travel outside Canada next month. I’m expecting to get my card before my travel plans. However, if there is any delay I was wondering if it’s still possible to show the multiple entry visa and the work permit to the airline to return back to Canada.

    I’m not sure if the visa and the work permit automatically gets canceled once the visa officer submits the landing information to CIC despite being it valid on the passport.

    Does the landing process automatically voids the multiple entry work visa and work permit?

    How this information is updates to the airlines or associated with the passport?

    Will the airlines come to know about it?

    Ps. I’m aware of other options to return to Canada. Those doesn’t apply to me as that won’t be feasible/possible for me to go for.

    Please help.
  11. What country are you from?
  12. I require visa to travel to Canada. I’m from India.
  13. They are likely to cancel your visa's soon, this sometimes takes a while but you will not know until you show up at the gate and try to board your plane. In most cases you will receive your PR card within the average processing time but they often ask for new pictures which delays the process a lot and could add months to processing.
  14. Thanks for the reply.

    However, how the airlines would come to know about the canceled visa.
  15. As a PR all your other visas are now cancelled. If you want to fly, you will need either a PR card or a PRTD. The airline will not allow you to board without one of those. They will know as soon as you present your passport.

Share This Page