+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

I recently did my landing and currently waiting on the PR card.

At the time of landing, the visa officer only canceled the one time entry visa which we get when the permanent residence application is approved.

He didn’t put any cross on my multiple entry work visa and the open work permit. Both the visa and the work permit is still valid for an another year.

I need to travel outside Canada next month. I’m expecting to get my card before my travel plans. However, if there is any delay I was wondering if it’s still possible to show the multiple entry visa and the work permit to the airline to return back to Canada.

I’m not sure if the visa and the work permit automatically gets canceled once the visa officer submits the landing information to CIC despite being it valid on the passport.

Does the landing process automatically voids the multiple entry work visa and work permit?

How this information is updates to the airlines or associated with the passport?

Will the airlines come to know about it?

Ps. I’m aware of other options to return to Canada. Those doesn’t apply to me as that won’t be feasible/possible for me to go for.

Please help.
Any and all other Canadian visas are NO LONGER valid once an individual has landed and is a PR.

So YES, "the landing process automatically voids the multiple entry work visa and work permit." (Technically the visa and work permit is cancelled by the landing, not "voided," but in practical terms it amounts to the same.)

If the officer handling the landing fails to make an entry on visas or such in the landing PR's passport, such that there is nothing in the passport showing the visa or permit has been cancelled, that does NOT mean those continue to be valid. On the contrary, even if a visa or permit in a passport APPEARS to be valid, once the individual is no longer a Foreign National, but is a PR, the visa or permit simply is NOT valid.

In the meantime, various theories have been offered in the forum about how and when IRCC records reflect the changes, the cancelling of work permits and other visas. Some of these leave open the possibility of a PR using the visa or permit to facilitate boarding a flight to Canada from abroad without having a valid PR card. As I recall, there have even been some reports here by PRs claiming they were in fact able to do this, to use the visa/permit to board a flight.

Regardless those reports, such visas and permits are NOT valid, and thus cannot be reasonably relied on to facilitate travel back to Canada. Whether the anecdotal reports derive from a delay in technically effecting the visa/permit cancellation, or from incidental idiosyncrasies in how airport personnel abroad screen boarding passengers for proper travel documents, the fact that SOME individuals have successfully used the visa or permit to travel back to Canada (assuming the anecdotal reports are true, which to be frank is a fairly big assumption) offers very little assurance, if any, that another recently landed PR might be able to do likewise.

In other words, there are reports that yes some individuals have been able to use such visas/permits to board a flight back to Canada . . . but those reports do NOT offer any assurance that you will be able to do this. Maybe. But NOT likely.

What you are apprehending is a logistical issue many newly landed PRs face if they have compelling travel requirements in the months soon after landing. So far we have not seen any reliable alternatives to waiting (delaying travel), relying on the PR Travel Document process (which can be problematic for those with pressing time limits), or simply taking one's chances (knowing the PR TD is a backup alternative for getting back to Canada, even if extremely inconvenient).

. . . how the airlines would come to know about the canceled visa.
As already noted, there are possible vagaries in the airline screening process and thus there may be instances in which, due to incidental idiosyncrasies in how travel documents are screened, an invalid but appearing-to-be-valid visa or work permit, in a traveler's passport, will facilitate boarding a flight to Canada. However, the usual procedure for screening travelers destined for Canada is ELECTRONIC, pursuant to which the traveler's information is submitted to an electronic system administered by CBSA, and that system promptly generates a response which simply indicates whether the traveler has authorization to board a flight to Canada, or not.

So, again, based on some isolated reports from a SMALL number of recently landed PRs reporting, without verification, they were able to board a flight to Canada upon displaying a visa, it MIGHT be possible . . . but the system should result in a NO board response for any PR who does not present a valid PR card. The longer it is between the date of landing and the date the PR attempts to board a flight to Canada, the greater the probability the visa/permit will NOT suffice.

HK_27

Aug 29, 2019
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

I won’t take any risk then and would book a return flight to the US-Canada land border.

HK_27

Aug 29, 2019
Yes, I’ve it. It’s a business trip, so, the company required me to book the tickets by the end of August only.

I’m confident that I’ll get the PR card as well before the travel dates. However, unfortunately just not to take the risk, I had to book the return flight to the US

I hope the government comes up with a better solution for the travellers.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Yes, I’ve it. It’s a business trip, so, the company required me to book the tickets by the end of August only.

I’m confident that I’ll get the PR card as well before the travel dates. However, unfortunately just not to take the risk, I had to book the return flight to the US

I hope the government comes up with a better solution for the travellers.
In case you have to come back via the land border, make sure you carry a copy of your signed COPR with you. The usually don't need it - I was only asked for my passport the one time I tried this, but it's a good idea to have a copy with you.

Kinf1

Sep 11, 2019
Unless a person holds a Canadian or American passport, Canadian immigration law requires that airlines verify that they have the correct travel document, meaning either a PR card, a PRTD, an eTA or a TRV. As you have none of those, you will not be allowed to board.

CBSA will be able to determine your status by simply swiping your passport.
HI,
I have a question regarding this topic, I have not yet received my first PR card but completed my landing. I need to travel next week, will my valid work permit and TRV help me to board the plane back to Canada?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
HI,
I have a question regarding this topic, I have not yet received my first PR card but completed my landing. I need to travel next week, will my valid work permit and TRV help me to board the plane back to Canada?
No. Your visa and work permit are no longer valid since you are now a PR. There are a few reported cases of the visa still working - there must be a certain time frame in which it's valid before it gets cancelled, but odds are that your visa is cancelled if you landed more than a few days ago.

Kinf1

Sep 11, 2019
Sure you can always try, the risk would be if they scan your passport or visa and it indicates a "no-board" notice unless you present a PR card. Technically your TRV should have been cancelled after you became a PR.

If they simply let you on the flight with just a visual check of your TRV, then you would be fine since all CBSA needs when you get to Canada airport is your COPR.

Just be prepared though to be denied boarding, and have a back up plan.
Hi, were you able to travel with your valid visitor visa?

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Hi, were you able to travel with your valid visitor visa?
You should either apply for a PRTD or fly to the US and cross the border by land, you cant count on the slim chance that they will let you board a plane with an expired visa.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You should either apply for a PRTD or fly to the US and cross the border by land, you cant count on the slim chance that they will let you board a plane with an expired visa.
Agreed. I really wouldn't recommend trying this. You don't want to end up stuck in Heathrow or Frankfurt in case you aren't flying direct and you somehow manage to make it onto the first flight.

Bahon

May 22, 2018
I need urgent help please
My husband is a swedish citizen, he is landing in Canada on feb 4, i bought tickets to cuba on feb.12, can he enter canada (From cuba) with his swedish passport since he doesn’t have a PR card yet?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I need urgent help please
My husband is a swedish citizen, he is landing in Canada on feb 4, i bought tickets to cuba on feb.12, can he enter canada (From cuba) with his swedish passport since he doesn’t have a PR card yet?
As a PR, technically, he would require a PR card or PRTD to board the plane. It's possible his eTA may still be valid, as they are sometimes cancelled on a delay, but no guarantee. He should just enter as a visitor on Feb 4th and land as a PR upon the return from Cuba.

Bahon

May 22, 2018
As a PR, technically, he would require a PR card or PRTD to board the plane. It's possible his eTA may still be valid, as they are sometimes cancelled on a delay, but no guarantee. He should just enter as a visitor on Feb 4th and land as a PR upon the return from Cuba.

can i apply for any travel document before we leave?

kashif1015

Sep 4, 2017
We are landed Canada on 16 Dec 2019 and went out of Canada on 30 Dec 2019 before getting our first PR card.
I would like to know how can I enter Canada again from USA using land border? What documents are needed ?
What is the meaning of "private vehicle"? Which type of transport is considered private vehicle as per CIC?