+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR Card, only CoPR and passport - by plane

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for reply,

As i told earlier that daugter has only a paper(certificate) SIN and health card but did not get her PR in 2002, so when she will apply for PRTD will it ask for her PR details pf the certificate will be good enough.
What kin of certificate? Did she land as a PR? Did you sponsor her?

Refuge

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
Yes she was in father's application and landed with him but in 2001-2 there was no PR card but some kind of paper they given them but after father came canada and got PR but she did not get her PR card as she never visited after first visit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes she was in father's application and landed with him but in 2001-2 there was no PR card but some kind of paper they given them but after father came canada and got PR but she did not get her PR card as she never visited after first visit.
Yes she can use what I assume is COPR to try and get a PRTD.

Refuge

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you so much for your time and help.

If i need any further help i will message.

God bless you and good night.

Jul 4, 2018
So I understand I can cross the border via land in a car to Canada. No problem.

I’m concerned about getting into the US from the UK. Will America be cool with just letting me to do a border crossing? Don’t they like to see return flights or onward travel document... I mean it doesn’t seem like something they would be cool with. It’s never a fun experience flying into America IMO.

Advice ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I’m concerned about getting into the US from the UK. Will America be cool with just letting me to do a border crossing? Don’t they like to see return flights or onward travel document... I mean it doesn’t seem like something they would be cool with. It’s never a fun experience flying into America IMO.

Advice ?
They are generally pretty understanding if you explain you haven't received your PR card and couldn't fly directly to Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Advice ?
If you are flying from the UK to the US then checkout the return fares versus one way given sometimes surprising that returns are cheaper than a one way if you are concerned about US CBP who for sure have been feeling more empowered since an event 11/2016 . Helps of course if you have onward travel to a border city although ultimately same as CBSA pays to be even more honest with US CBP given their access to Guantanamo

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Hi, i have a question about the PRTD. When they scan it at the airport Will it get a Dont Board message? Because its a physical paper attached to my passport and not also digital i imagine. Im kinsd of worried reading through this thread since airline personnel only seems to know how to deal with ETA's and Pr Cards, they might not know how to deal with my PRTD.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, i have a question about the PRTD. When they scan it at the airport Will it get a Dont Board message? Because its a physical paper attached to my passport and not also digital i imagine. Im kinsd of worried reading through this thread since airline personnel only seems to know how to deal with ETA's and Pr Cards, they might not know how to deal with my PRTD.
If a PRTD gave a No Board message, it would be pointless to even issue them. You are worrying for nothing.

broko85

Jul 3, 2017

hi all sorry to jump on this thread, i became PR in 2003 (Caribbean Passport) did not hold duel citizenship, since then left in 2004 and got married in 2014 since then got a British passport and now a dual citizen. My mother and brothers have move to Canada as PRs and we also applied in the Express entry pool. I was then made aware last month MY PR never expired so i am still a PR.

My question, if i fly to the US on my visa exempt passport (UK) and then drive over in a few weeks as a tourist how will the boarder control have me linked as a PR if i am on another passport? Once i am in Canada i will stay and then renew as needed so i can sponsor my wife and kids.

Any useful advise?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

hi all sorry to jump on this thread, i became PR in 2003 (Caribbean Passport) did not hold duel citizenship, since then left in 2004 and got married in 2014 since then got a British passport and now a dual citizen. My mother and brothers have move to Canada as PRs and we also applied in the Express entry pool. I was then made aware last month MY PR never expired so i am still a PR.

My question, if i fly to the US on my visa exempt passport (UK) and then drive over in a few weeks as a tourist how will the boarder control have me linked as a PR if i am on another passport? Once i am in Canada i will stay and then renew as needed so i can sponsor my wife and kids.

Any useful advise?
No guarantees and you have to wait until you are compliant with you PR to sponsor your wife and children.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010

Any useful advise?
Generally under I-94W/ESTA, you cannot enter the US by air and leave by land. However in your favour, allowances can be made for the fact that you are presently legally entitled to remain in North America whereas most I-94W travellers are not.

What you will need to check is that America records your exit. If you have an I-94W form stapled into your passport like they issue at land crossings then Canada can remove it when you cross over however there is no physical paperwork for ESTA arrivals.

In your case the biggest problem might be Canadian RO. Not being within RO does not automatically terminate your PR but it also doesn't mean that you can just resume life in Canada either.

broko85

Jul 3, 2017
HI Bloodrose, thanks for your message, i know i do not have the RO covered and prepared once i get in to wait 2 years to sponsor my family, we have no intention of leaving as we want to settle back there. But it is getting in and not detected or reported which i hope is the case as i am not sure if they would link my British Passport to my PR as i got it 10 years after leaving Canada.

Bloodrose

Jan 5, 2010
HI Bloodrose, thanks for your message, i know i do not have the RO covered and prepared once i get in to wait 2 years to sponsor my family, we have no intention of leaving as we want to settle back there. But it is getting in and not detected or reported which i hope is the case as i am not sure if they would link my British Passport to my PR as i got it 10 years after leaving Canada.

Nobody can promise you that you will be undetected at the border. Since your PR is under your other passport, you should not enter Canada under your UK one.