canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

I have been following this thread and I feel like the answer is not very clear.

My wife is a permanent resident and we have been waiting for her forst pr card in the mail. We recently got a communication that her pictures were denied and we need to re-send. Now this has messed up some of her travel plans because she needs to fly back to the US (New York) for work in February and we will not have her card in time.

She already has her flight booked so my question is since she is a US citizen travelling on a US passport will she be denied boarding? We understand that the confirmation of permanent residency is not sufficient for the airlines but how do they know she is a pr? If we do not say anything will they still know by scanning her passport and as such, deny her boarding?

We are just stuck now because we do not know what to do. I guess the only other option is to change her flight and have her rent a car and drive back to Canada. We searched out the PRTD but even with that there is no clarity on processing times as she will need to do it in-person in New York while she is there and is only there for a week. Not sure how fast the Canadian Embassy processes these documents so she can have it in time for her return flight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The answer is very clear. Americans can fly to Canada on the strength of just their passport. She should not mention her PR status to the airline. They will not know that she is a PR.

Reactions: Ca_551

Thornhill

Jan 18, 2019
Thank you for your prompt reply. You can tell we are very nervous about this and there is a lot of money involved if she is denied.

Is there anyone in here that this has actually happened to and they were ok boarding travelling on a US-Passport back to Canada?

Thornhill

Jan 18, 2019
Thank you for your prompt reply. You can tell we are very nervous about this and there is a lot of money involved if she is denied.

Is there anyone in here that this has actually happened to and they were ok boarding travelling on a US-Passport back to Canada?
Also, if she boards ok, will she the simply indicate in the computers at the airport that she is a permanent resident? Will the computer ask for her pr card?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Also, if she boards ok, will she the simply indicate in the computers at the airport that she is a permanent resident? Will the computer ask for her pr card?
You have been given the answer... As a US citizen, she can travel with just her passport. Period.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

The forum has multiple threads of people who have done this.

Of course she states that she is a PR when entering Canada. A PR card is not required for entry. CBSA will be able to see her PR status in the system.

Refuge

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
Respected Members,

I need help for following:

My cousin came to canada as skilled worker in 2000 with his daughter who was 2 year old, after that he got PR and time to time he renewed it till 2010 now his PR is expired and for his daughter he got a paper because in 2002 there was no PR card (as per our understanding) medical card and also sin number and after that visit in 2002 she never visited canada.

Now my cousin and his daughter wanna come to canada so what option are available for them to come to canada?

2nd, his spouse and son was included in application but never came here, what about them will spouse and son can also visit or not?

Please help.

TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Respected Members,

I need help for following:

My cousin came to canada as skilled worker in 2000 with his daughter who was 2 year old, after that he got PR and time to time he renewed it till 2010 now his PR is expired and for his daughter he got a paper because in 2002 there was no PR card (as per our understanding) medical card and also sin number and after that visit in 2002 she never visited canada.

Now my cousin and his daughter wanna come to canada so what option are available for them to come to canada?

2nd, his spouse and son was included in application but never came here, what about them will spouse and son can also visit or not?

Please help.

TIA
Are they from a visa exempt country? Do they have US visas? The mother and child can attempt to come to Canada as visitors. They will either need to apply for a TRV or an ETA dependent on the country of origin. The father and daughter can try to enter via the US and hope they don't get reported but they will likely lose their PR status. Is there a good reason they didn't return. They were out of status way before 2010 if they left in 2002. They would have not met their RO son after 2005. PR card expiry date is not linked to meeting RO.

Refuge

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
Are they from a visa exempt country? Do they have US visas? The mother and child can attempt to come to Canada as visitors. They will either need to apply for a TRV or an ETA dependent on the country of origin. The father and daughter can try to enter via the US and hope they don't get reported but they will likely lose their PR status. Is there a good reason they didn't return. They were out of status way before 2010 if they left in 2002. They would have not met their RO son after 2005. PR card expiry date is not linked to meeting RO.
Thanks for reply.

No they are not from visa exempted country but they have US visas. If they will try to come from US with expired card and his daughter with paper issued in 2002, will immigration allow them to enter or they can be denied also? What is the best way to avoid risk? and if they allowed to enter, will they able to get PR cards now they wanna move to canada permanently.

and I am sorry i did not understand RO?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for reply.

No they are not from visa exempted country but they have US visas. If they will try to come from US with expired card and his daughter with paper issued in 2002, will immigration allow them to enter or they can be denied also? What is the best way to avoid risk? and if they allowed to enter, will they able to get PR cards now they wanna move to canada permanently.

The father and daughter are almost guaranteed to be reported on entry and to lose PR status. The daughter should apply for a PRTD based on H&C grounds, though at 20-21 years old, her chances are lower.

The wife and son can apply for TRVs. They will need to show strong ties to their home country.

Refuge

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
She can apply PRTD from home country or when she will be on entry point? If PR will be revoked/Cancelled so they will be sent back to USA or they will given any other option?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The father and daughter are almost guaranteed to be reported on entry and to lose PR status. The daughter should apply for a PRTD based on H&C grounds, though at 20-21 years old, her chances are lower.

The wife and son can apply for TRVs. They will need to show strong ties to their home country.
Actually we've seen cases recently being refused even for 18 year olds. Seems like they are closing the exemption for children who don't have a history in Canada. Worth a shot still since it is the only way the daughter can realistically attempt to keep her PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Actually we've seen cases recently being refused even for 18 year olds. Seems like they are closing the exemption for children who don't have a history in Canada. Worth a shot still since it is the only way the daughter can realistically attempt to keep her PR.
I'm aware of that. However, many are still approved and it is her only real chance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for reply.

RO is residency obligation. Yes you an your daughter will be let into Canada and will have the option to appeal before you lose your PR. You don't seem to have a reason for being out of Canada for so long an it would be very difficult to excuse a 15+ year absence. Then you'd have to return to your home country.

Refuge

Star Member
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for reply,

As i told earlier that daugter has only a paper(certificate) SIN and health card but did not get her PR in 2002, so when she will apply for PRTD will it ask for her PR details pf the certificate will be good enough.