+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope 68th Draw

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
Good morning everyone. I have a crazy cultural question. In American, we never refer to each other as brother/sister/friend/buddy. The closest things might be man/dude, but they are more of a part of a greeting like Hey man or Hey dude.

Are brother/sister/friend/buddy used a lot in other countries? If so, which ones? Thanks in advance for the education.

Reactions: baka and Mithu3

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
@Wandering Mind Sis, since you've already filled up your eAPR, I got a quick question. Is there a section to list all siblings including half-siblings and step-siblings? Thanks.
Hello my friend! I am still in the process of filling it all up. So much to do, so little time!

There's a section that asks for all the family members "not identified in your application" - parents (both dead and alive) and siblings. They don't specifically ask for half siblings and step-siblings but I'm assuming that they'd like to know about all the chidren your parents had with each other or with other spouses.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding.

smalkawi

Star Member
Jan 28, 2017
Good morning everyone. I have a crazy cultural question. In American, we never refer to each other as brother/sister/friend/buddy. The closest things might be man/dude, but they are more of a part of a greeting like Hey man or Hey dude.

Are brother/sister/friend/buddy used a lot in other countries? If so, which ones? Thanks in advance for the education.
Brother and sister are very commonly used when meeting strangers in arabian countries

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
Hello my friend! I am still in the process of filling it all up. So much to do, so little time!

There's a section that asks for all the family members "not identified in your application" - parents (both dead and alive) and siblings. They don't specifically ask for half siblings and step-siblings but I'm assuming that they'd like to know about all the chidren your parents had with each other or with other spouses.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding.
Will CIC know if I did not enter all my siblings' names? :)

Reactions: andieangel and Nc31

mejaz

Dec 9, 2016
Toronto, ON
Passport Req..
10-04-2018
All my life I've been giving unsolicited advice to people about having their correct names on all of their documents but no one listens to me ;)

I remember reading your thread about your wife's name. And I gave it a lot of thought too but frankly I don't know for sure what you should be doing.

If I were you, I'd let her current passport remain as it is right now. Her name isn't incorrect on the passport, it's just all put together in one section instead of being broken up into "Given name" and "Surname". Honestly, I don't see a problem with that and can't imagine why she'll face any inconvenience in Canada.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Truly appreciate your advice! Growing up, no one really told us how important it is to have correct names on all documents. It doesnt help that some of our names are just not really meant to be spelt in English, neither does it help to have a govt that doesnt give a flying toot about how ur name is arranged or spelt in official documents :( At least things are changing now and ppl have more sense these days, hopefully the next generation of kids wont have these kinda problems .... or names. :-D

Reactions: Mithu3

dammieh

Star Member
May 24, 2017
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
20-10-2017

I am from Nigeria and we use brother/sister a lot.

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore

Are you American? My American Brother in law often refers to greets me and his son with, "hey buddy!" My American Ex Boyfriend also used to say things like, "That's me and my buddy Ryan in the photograph." So I thought it was pretty common there. Yeah granted, I haven't heard "Brother" and "Sister" often.

I lived half my life in the Middle East, and yeah I agree with the other user who said that it was commonly used in Arabic culture.

"Hey Friend," is something I hear Singaporeans use.