+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 136th Draw

satnamsingh2k3

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Hello
I am taking again for the 5th time, I have one doubt if anyone can help.
While filling out the IELTS form, can we choose an option that IELTS taken for personal reasons even if we are taking it for immigration?
If we choose personal reasons, there is another question with the asterisk sign, which country do you intend to go to, and can we choose Canada there?

I know this whole thing makes no sense, but I have a very strong feeling that they intentionally don't give bands if we say we are taking IELTS for immigration purpose and I have read one whole article on this that if we choose any option but immigration, chances of scoring good bands in writing is high.

Please help!!
Nothing like this bro

abbieh

Star Member
Dec 5, 2019
I am contemplating on requesting for an EOR in speaking module as it is the only module where I lack in clb10. How long will it take in case of IDP ? If I succeed, I would get 471 which is relatively a safe score. Meanwhile, I have received an NOI from Ontario also , for which I have 35 days remaining. What should I do?
Is there a reason you do not want to go through PNP?

What if your EOR comes back positive but the scores have gone up again?

Please weigh your options and think it through carefully

I believe you can always move to other provinces after a certain number of years( please correct me if I am wrong)

Tanvirk

Star Member
Jul 12, 2019
Is there a reason you do not want to go through PNP?

What if your EOR comes back positive but the scores have gone up again?

Please weigh your options and think it through carefully

I believe you can always move to other provinces after a certain number of years( please correct me if I am wrong)
It's because of CAD 1500 that I want to avoid OINP as much as possible.Also,it takes around 90 days to get their nomination.

VaniRohit

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
I'm at 469.and got my score improved after giving ielts again
My profile was created on 16th June 2019
What will be the cut off in next draw.what is the prediction if it's b2b or if it's on 5th Feb
Do I have any chance?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I know this whole thing makes no sense, but I have a very strong feeling that they intentionally don't give bands if we say we are taking IELTS for immigration purpose and I have read one whole article on this that if we choose any option but immigration, chances of scoring good bands in writing is high.

Please help!!
Why would you think that? I’m sorry to say this but the scores are an indication of what your actual skills are.

I sat for Celpip (you sit an exam. You don’t give an exam.). I’m as near native as can be. Was trilingual as a kid and don’t know which was my first language. It may have been english. I scored high enough in reading, listening, and speaking, to get top CLB marks. I failed miserably in writing, simply because I didn’t understand how to do the test. I went back and ended up scoring a read/listen 12, speak, 11, write 10. Job done.

I read this board daily and see tons of elementary school grammar mistakes (and I’m far from perfect) and people complaining about not scoring high enough.

The first thing to do is to stop thinking in your native language and start thinking in English. Eventually you will stop translating your native language to English. The biggest mistake I see is people trying to do literal translations from language x to english. Germans make me laugh every time. “Wir sehen uns morgen.” (Disregard spelling) means “see you tomorrow” in plain English. The literal translation, that Germans do is “we see us tomorrow”, which sounds absolutely ridiculous in English but makes perfect sense in German because that is how they say that phrase.

(yes, I taught English to non-English speakers in my birth country, and worked for a translation company). I made exactly those mistakes, but in reverse, when I was a kid. I spoke my birth language with English grammar and a third language accent, you bet I’m still confused and mix my grammar. Doesn’t help that I added two languages to it in school. German and French. I’ve forgotten French. Can’t speak or write German, but have a near fluent understanding reading and listening. So I get the language barriers we go through.

My suggestion to you, especially if you already are here, is to STOP talking your native tongue, even with your friends. Stop watching native tv, listening to native radio, read native papers. Exclusively stick to the language you need to test for, and you will see huge improvements.

I dont know anyone here from my country and I’ve been here 6+ years now and I’m starting to lose words in my birth language. I’m more English than anything. Even count the scoops of coffee in English, when I brew a pot. I occasionally run in to people from my birth country and often stumble on words falling back in to English.

So no, you’re wrong. The test itself is created to emulate what you need to know on a low, mid, or high skilled language proficiency. If you don’t score the high points it’s because you don’t deserve them now. You either don’t have the skills or you didn’t understand what they asked of you. Work on it and you’ll get it.

Last edited:

jrossi

Jan 13, 2020
Hello
I am taking again for the 5th time, I have one doubt if anyone can help.
While filling out the IELTS form, can we choose an option that IELTS taken for personal reasons even if we are taking it for immigration?
If we choose personal reasons, there is another question with the asterisk sign, which country do you intend to go to, and can we choose Canada there?

Please help!!
I completely disagree.
I only attempt IELTS once, I informed it was for immigration purposes, and even mentioned that among one of my Speaking Test responses. And yet, I got CLB10 in all 4 bands, on the first attempt (after preparing for the exam for about 4 months, I just didn't want to waste my money by trying many times without actually mastering all the test techniques).
Yes, before attending the test I also heard things such as this, and I won't lie: I was worried that IELTS could indeed lower my score, so that I would attempt 2-3x, and they would get more money out of this. But, in the end, that didn't happen, and so I'm forced to discredit that theory.

Reactions: yyzstudent

VaniRohit

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
'm at 469.and got my score improved after giving ielts again
What will be the cut off in next draw.what is the prediction if it's b2b or if it's on 5th Feb
Do I have any chance?

thephdguy

Oct 1, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Why would you think that? I’m sorry to say this but the scores are an indication of what your actual skills are.

I sat for Celpip (you sit an exam. You don’t give an exam.). I’m as near native as can be. Was trilingual as a kid and don’t know which was my first language. It may have been english. I scored high enough in reading, listening, and speaking, to get top CLB marks. I failed miserably in writing, simply because I didn’t understand how to do the test. I went back and ended up scoring a read/listen 12, speak, 11, write 10. Job done.

I read this board daily and see tons of elementary school grammar mistakes (and I’m far from perfect) and people complaining about not scoring high enough.

So no, you’re wrong. The test itself is created to emulate what you need to know on a low, mid, or high skilled language proficiency. If you don’t score the high points it’s because you don’t deserve them now. You either don’t have the skills or you didn’t understand what they asked of you. Work on it and you’ll get it.
I believe that if you do well on the tests your scores will be good. Some people are delusional thinking that without any preparation or any serious and smart (keyword) commitment they'll be able to get the scores they want. Everybody needs to prepare on their own special way, some people may study for 1 week and get the score they want, come people take the exam 8 times and fail. If you don't have exam taking skills, that will also weight against you. It's a combination of a lot of things.

Also, I never understood why people say give an exam, or even write an exam. I supposed it was some sort of British English or an incorrect translation. I've always said take an exam.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I believe that if you do well on the tests your scores will be good. Some people are delusional thinking that without any preparation or any serious and smart (keyword) commitment they'll be able to get the scores they want. Everybody needs to prepare on their own special way, some people may study for 1 week and get the score they want, come people take the exam 8 times and fail. If you don't have exam taking skills, that will also weight against you. It's a combination of a lot of things.

Also, I never understood why people say give an exam, or even write an exam. I supposed it was some sort of British English or an incorrect translation. I've always said take an exam.
Exactly. I needed top marks as I’m 0 on age. I was completely dumbstruck to get that 7 in writing. Found a video series on YouTube, and watched it. Over and over, to drill in what I did wrong. Did all the study tests again. And I succeeded. The 7 turned in to a 10.

Sit/take/write an exam/test are all correct. Give an exam/test is not.

IELTS was developed in UK by the Cambridge university. British born and schooled people fail it. Celpip is Canadian and use Canadian idioms.

Reactions: mudjawd

abbieh

Star Member
Dec 5, 2019
I'm at 469.and got my score improved after giving ielts again
Do I have any chance?
Earlier in the week,someone on the thread predicted :

468: 29th Jan

470: 5th Feb

p.ghasemi

Nov 27, 2019
Oran
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
INTERNAL TRACKER LIZELLEW

Updated (January 24th 2020)

475+ (Total: 0)

470+ (Total: 0)

465+ (Total: 2) – Moe.chattha: 467 | LizelleW: 466

460+ (Total: 0)

455+ (Total: 0)

450+ (Total: 0)

400+ (Total: 0)

If you would like to be added to the tracker, please reply with your score. I searched on the other forums and thread but could not find anything, so will start one from scratch for us.
Hey there, add me at 471