+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about Document we signed at end of Citizenship Interview

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
I'm a little embarrassed about this question but....

What was the document the Citizenship Officer has us sign at the very end of our Citizenship Interviews? I can't remember what exactly that was. Was it a good sign to sign that, or bad sign? Were there cases where people didn't have to sign anything at all? And for those that did sign the document, is it a positive step in the end step towards our Oath ceremony? Apologies for the strange question.

CANMAPLE

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anthony_nyc said:

What was the document the Citizenship Officer has us sign at the very end of our Citizenship Interviews? I can't remember what exactly that was. Was it a good sign to sign that, or bad sign? Were there cases where people didn't have to sign anything at all? And for those that did sign the document, is it a positive step in the end step towards our Oath ceremony? Apologies for the strange question.
I think everyone has to sign that document, it is one of the form Citizenship officials have to complete as part of the interview or identity verification process. If she ticked off "Yes" for the questions that were on that document, then you should be good to go!

Cheers

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
CANMAPLE said:
I think everyone has to sign that document, it is one of the form Citizenship officials have to complete as part of the interview or identity verification process. If she ticked off "Yes" for the questions that were on that document, then you should be good to go!

Cheers
Oh no, I don't remember if she ticked off any "yes" on that paper at all. I was so focused on answering I don't even remember what she did on those papers. haha ::)

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Relax. Step back from this. Wait to see what happens.

In the meantime take care of things for yourself. Citizenship is important but there is nothing critical about it for a PR who is an American citizen.

Start focusing on taking care of your day-to-day stuff.

You should have known what you were signing. If, for example, you were signing something that is not correct, that could be a crime. That is true in any meeting with any government official. Slow down some and focus. Pay attention to what you are doing.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, the not updating your drivers' license for years: not good dude. Not good. Done, OK, work with how things are now. Get the new job if that is what you need. Citizenship can wait. Get the details in your life in order: update the drivers' license to where you actually live.

Some forum members have advised various ways to work around the mailing of notices issue if you move. Forget that. Just do the right thing for you and if you move, give CIC the information soon, and then check to make sure CIC has your correct address. Many people could probably do things one or the other way suggested. It looks like you would be better off just getting things in order. Follow the instructions. Read things before you sign them. If you do not understand, ask. Take a breath, relax, and focus on doing things right.

As for what you signed: the main thing it was about is that you have not been charged with any crimes, not on probation, no criminal convictions, and your PR status is not subject to any inadmissibility reports. If there have been no criminal charges in the last four years, or the four years before you applied, then you are OK. Not a problem.

No need to be embarrassed. Again, step back, relax. You are probably just in wait mode now. How it will go is how it will go. Nothing you can change at the moment. In the meantime, take care of you, of your needs, do what you need to do to get things settled in your life.

ERJOPA

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
If it's no big deal...why did the officer cover up everything except where you signed? Why do they do that? Are they afraid of getting sued???

After going through all this for citizenship, I feel that when I finally take my oath, it will be a hallow accomplishment, due to the fact that every step of the way in this process, someone got p.o.ed (family or CIC) over it and took some of my dignity with some of it - especially that officer who had a fit over the reasons why I took my one and only trip in 4 years. (very heartless person). I was told this process was to be a positive experience - and I have experienced only the opposite.

maybe I will feel better about it years down the road.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Yes you have to sign it. It is a standard thing where you swear to abide by the oath and follow the rules of citizenship, blah blah etc..

officers cover up the document except for where you sign because people get confused when they ask you to sign and people get confused and are like "where"? they don't want people signing in the wrong area (which actually happens a lot)

as for me, it was a positive step when i signed. It is basically the end of the process and for me it marked when i became an official citizen. my wife took a photo of me with a big smile while i was signing.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
keesio said:
Yes you have to sign it. It is a standard thing where you swear to abide by the oath and follow the rules of citizenship, blah blah etc..

officers cover up the document except for where you sign because people get confused when they ask you to sign and people get confused and are like "where"? they don't want people signing in the wrong area (which actually happens a lot)

as for me, it was a positive step when i signed. It is basically the end of the process and for me it marked when i became an official citizen. my wife took a photo of me with a big smile while i was signing.
@Keesio,
You are here talking about signing at Oath, the OP was wondering about the form signed just after test, during the interview...
it's the prohibitions... yes, nobody really reads that closely before signing, but we do have an idea of what we signed, it just
looked like the one we were filling out the application...

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
cprak0 said:
@Keesio,
You are here talking about signing at Oath, the OP was wondering about the form signed just after test, during the interview...
it's the prohibitions... yes, nobody really reads that closely before signing, but we do have an idea of what we signed, it just
looked like the one we were filling out the application...
oh oops! yeah I can't remember signing anything after the interview. It was 2 years ago...

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anthony_nyc said:

Anthony,

What you signed is a declaration that you are NOT INADMISSIBLE to be granted canadian citizenship.
In other words, you are eligible to become a Canadian citizen.

You can review the text here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/

OrangeCup

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
OrangeCup said:
Anthony,

What you signed is a declaration that you are NOT INADMISSIBLE to be granted canadian citizenship.

OrangeCup
I think we're all confusing different documents at this point. You aren't talking about the document we got in the mail along with our test date letter? Or are you talking about a paper that is strictly signed only at the test/interview meeting, only in the possession of the Citizenship Officer?

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
OrangeCup said:
Anthony,

OrangeCup
This looks like its for immigration not citizenship!

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Anthony_nyc said:
I think we're all confusing different documents at this point. You aren't talking about the document we got in the mail along with our test date letter? Or are you talking about a paper that is strictly signed only at the test/interview meeting, only in the possession of the Citizenship Officer?
Well, all of us at the interview (there were at least 20- 25) signed a form, which was preceded by several questions as to if we were in trouble
with the cops or with immigration at any time... and the form looked much like the last page of the application form, list of stuff to be checked "No"

At least we are talking about the same thing, right Anthony nyc?

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anthony_nyc said:
Anthony,

My test invitation didn't include any documents that I had to sign. The oath invitation did however include the form i had to sign, but thats not what you are asking here.
As per my earlier response and as well as cparak0's response - what you signed in the end of the interview is essentially the form that that lists why you could be inadmissible. You have to confirm in the end of the form that you are a good law abiding "ready-to-become" citizen. More to the point - relax and congrats on passing the test. Hopefully you'll get your oath invite in time for the elections.

Orangecup

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cprak0 said:
This looks like its for immigration not citizenship!
Cprak0 - I didn't say the link to the form I sent is the form Anthony signed, but essentially the text is very close: you confirm you dont have any trouble with the police etc.

Anthony_nyc

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
OrangeCup said:
Cprak0 - I didn't say the link to the form I sent is the form Anthony signed, but essentially the text is very close: you confirm you dont have any trouble with the police etc.
Yea, I'm just confused at this moment. As long as the paper I signed meant a step in the positive direction, that's what concerns me of course. Signing anything "should" mean a good thing I'm sure, moving further along towards "oath" final step...hopefully.