+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUEBEC 2019 OUTLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

kylaviet

Dec 4, 2019
I've got some news for you, my friends.

First, my timeline:
Application delivered to MIFI: January 6, 2020
AOR received: February 17, 2020

I called MIFI this morning and spoke to a very friendly and helpful agent (rare!). She gave me lots of information.

1. The date hasn't changed on the website because they are still processing some applications from before November 20. She says the date on the website will only change once all applications received before that date are processed.
2. However, she confirmed that they are indeed working on applications received after that date.
3. Our application has been assigned to an agent and is currently processing.
4. We are at the first step of the process. Requests were sent to third parties (Ministère du Revenu, État Civil...) and they are awaiting responses.
5. She encourages me to call back in two weeks to see if the first step has been completed

Moral of this story: If you call MIFI and an unhelpful agent answers, simply hang up and call again. The agents do have access to the information... you just need to find a kind agent who is willing to help you.

Canada&CO

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019

First, my timeline:

I called MIFI this morning and spoke to a very friendly and helpful agent (rare!). She gave me lots of information.

1. The date hasn't changed on the website because they are still processing some applications from before November 20. She says the date on the website will only change once all applications received before that date are processed.
2. However, she confirmed that they are indeed working on applications received after that date.
4. We are at the first step of the process. Requests were sent to third parties (Ministère du Revenu, État Civil...) and they are awaiting responses.
5. She encourages me to call back in two weeks to see if the first step has been completed

Moral of this story: If you call MIFI and an unhelpful agent answers, simply hang up and call again. The agents do have access to the information... you just need to find a kind agent who is willing to help you.
Thank you very much for all the information. It's really appreciated. We have about the same timeline and last week a very nice agent also tolk me that my application was with an agent since April 16. So hopefully we get in answer by July

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019

First, my timeline:

I couldn't agree more! It always depends who you end up speaking to. I am sure I may have spoken to the same agent because last time I called, the agent was very helpful as well. She also told me to call back next week (my file was received in December).

Canada&CO

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
Hi guys,

You think that it mandatory to register in État Civil for the CSQ cause I called them months ago and they said that I dont have too. I'm worry that MIDI may ask me to prove that I have to register before completing. What do you guys think?

Thank you for your response guys!

Malikhk

Star Member
Nov 24, 2019
Hi guys,

You think that it mandatory to register in État Civil for the CSQ cause I called them months ago and they said that I dont have too. I'm worry that MIDI may ask me to prove that I have to register before completing. What do you guys think?

I am not sure what you mean by register in État Civil?

kylaviet

Dec 4, 2019
Hi guys,

That is a very good question and something I had never thought about. I did some research and this is what I found:
http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/FAQ.html
Is a marriage solemnized abroad between Canadian citizens residing in Québec recognized in Québec?
Yes. A marriage solemnized outside Québec is recognized provided it complies with the same rules applying to a marriage in Québec and provided the solemnization took place in accordance with the laws of Québec or those of the country where it took place. The rules vary from country to country.
For more information, consult the embassy or consulate of the country where you wish to get married.

What do we need to do to make our marriage solemnized abroad valid in Québec?
A marriage solemnized abroad is recognized in Québec if it complies with the solemnization formalities of the country where it was contracted and the conditions of Québec and Canadian laws.
Moreover, it is possible to ask the Directeur de l’état civil to have your act of marriage obtained outside Québec inserted into the Québec register of civil status. This simplifies certain steps for you with Québec’s departments and bodies.

Surely, this is a little ambiguous. The first keyword is "possible"... as in not mandatory. But the second concept of "simplifying certain steps" is worrisome.

Did anybody choose to register their marriage with État Civil? Did anyone who didn't have any problems?

Canada&CO

Star Member
Nov 22, 2019
That is a very good question and something I had never thought about. I did some research and this is what I found:
http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/FAQ.html
Is a marriage solemnized abroad between Canadian citizens residing in Québec recognized in Québec?
Yes. A marriage solemnized outside Québec is recognized provided it complies with the same rules applying to a marriage in Québec and provided the solemnization took place in accordance with the laws of Québec or those of the country where it took place. The rules vary from country to country.
For more information, consult the embassy or consulate of the country where you wish to get married.

What do we need to do to make our marriage solemnized abroad valid in Québec?
A marriage solemnized abroad is recognized in Québec if it complies with the solemnization formalities of the country where it was contracted and the conditions of Québec and Canadian laws.
Moreover, it is possible to ask the Directeur de l’état civil to have your act of marriage obtained outside Québec inserted into the Québec register of civil status. This simplifies certain steps for you with Québec’s departments and bodies.

Surely, this is a little ambiguous. The first keyword is "possible"... as in not mandatory. But the second concept of "simplifying certain steps" is worrisome.

Did anybody choose to register their marriage with État Civil? Did anyone who didn't have any problems?
Yes, that's exactly my case. I wanted to register and when I called the agent told to that it was not mandatory but what you never know with MIDI.

"Did anybody choose to register their marriage with État Civil? Did anyone who didn't have any problems?"

Malikhk

Star Member
Nov 24, 2019
Haha they posted a nice joke on the MIFI website update :

Family reunification
The Department is currently receiving an exceptional volume of family sponsorship cases. As a result, it has become impossible to meet the 25-day deadline set out in the Customer Service Statement.

However, be assured that these delays will not affect the timelines for issuing permanent resident visas to sponsored persons. MIFI and IRCC work together to ensure that your file is processed and visas are issued in a timely manner. Arrangements have also been made so that you do not have to worry about the date of issuance of the Québec Selection Certificate. The MIFI is in charge of making the link with the IRCC.

The Department is currently processing applications received up to:

• November 20, 2019 for a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child;
  • November 14, 2019 for other family members.

------>Wait time information is updated regularly.<------- the joke