+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD document checklist

svcanadapr

Mar 12, 2019
The CoPR alone is fine. If you'd like you can also give a copy of the immigrant visa and landing stamp in your passport. (But it's not needed.)

Remember as a Permanent Resident in compliance with the residency obligation you have a right to a PRTD. Don't sweat it.
@rish888 did you get your PRTD?

svcanadapr

Mar 12, 2019
I got my PRTD in 2 days. Applied at the VFS center in New York on Monday and picked up the PRTD counterfoil in my passport on Wednesday. It was unbelievably quick. Because of the quick turn around, I thought my application was rejected until I saw the counterfoil :) Feeling happy!

Reactions: Best4best

Best4best

Sep 24, 2018
I got my PRTD in 2 days. Applied at the VFS center in New York on Monday and picked up the PRTD counterfoil in my passport on Wednesday. It was unbelievably quick. Because of the quick turn around, I thought my application was rejected until I saw the counterfoil :) Feeling happy!
Good to hear how fast your application went through. Please do you have any idea how long it’s takes to get the first PR card after landing. I will be landing as permanent resident on 20th May 2019.

svcanadapr

Mar 12, 2019
Good to hear how fast your application went through. Please do you have any idea how long it’s takes to get the first PR card after landing. I will be landing as permanent resident on 20th May 2019.
The site below shows the current processing time for a new PR card is 13 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Processing in 13 days is really fast considering the fact that it used to be 45 to 60 days when I checked it back in Feb 2019.
I don't know how trustworthy this estimate is. That said, I received an email from IRCC within 10 days of landing as PR that my photographs were not as per specifications and was asked to resubmit. I don't know how long the card approval will take so I applied for the PR travel document.

Best4best

Sep 24, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Processing in 13 days is really fast considering the fact that it used to be 45 to 60 days when I checked it back in Feb 2019.
I don't know how trustworthy this estimate is. That said, I received an email from IRCC within 10 days of landing as PR that my photographs were not as per specifications and was asked to resubmit. I don't know how long the card approval will take so I applied for the PR travel document.
Thank you so much for the fast response. I think my photos meet the standard as i submitted it with my passport before they issued me the COPR.
I really hope they send it in that 2 weeks time as you mentioned. Am returning back to England on 20th June 2019. I will be in Canada 1 full month after landing.

Best4best

Sep 24, 2018

You are definitely right! I see they just update the processing time from 45 to 13 days.
Thank you for the link

svcanadapr

Mar 12, 2019
Thank you so much for the fast response. I think my photos meet the standard as i submitted it with my passport before they issued me the COPR.
I really hope they send it in that 2 weeks time as you mentioned. Am returning back to England on 20th June 2019. I will be in Canada 1 full month after landing.
Photos meeting the specifications has nothing to do with COPR. At least that's my experience. Only after I landed and when my PR card application was getting processed IRCC mailed me about the photos issue. It was a nasty surprise because I got my Canada PR photos from the best reviewed professional passport photographer in New York City who has done Canada passport/PR pics for so many people like me. He took great care to give the exact specifications and we didn't make the IRCC personnel happy.

I suggest that you don't keep hope on receiving your PR card in time. Instead, apply for PRTD once you step outside Canada.

Best4best

Sep 24, 2018
Photos meeting the specifications has nothing to do with COPR. At least that's my experience. Only after I landed and when my PR card application was getting processed IRCC mailed me about the photos issue. It was a nasty surprise because I got my Canada PR photos from the best reviewed professional passport photographer in New York City who has done Canada passport/PR pics for so many people like me. He took great care to give the exact specifications and we didn't make the IRCC personnel happy.

I suggest that you don't keep hope on receiving your PR card in time. Instead, apply for PRTD once you step outside Canada.
No problem i understand you! What am saying is that at least they update their processing time from 45 days to 13 days. That is really big improvements from IRCC