Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
I know this may seem like a silly question but for newcomers to Canada like myself, I wonder about small details like this. What should be the proper attire when going to job interviews? I don't want to be overdressed or underdressed, certainly I don't want to be dressed better than my interviewer.

I know the usual suit is standard but what if you are interviewing for a retail position? Or a store position at tim hortons? Or as housekeping staff at a hotel, do you wear a suit for these too? Or will dress pants and a white button down long sleeved shirt do?

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For those interviews, just a semi-formal business casual would be more than enough

maxvol

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
If you have a beard or a moustache make sure you keep it well groomed. Same goes with hair sticking out of your nose and ears. It dosent look professional and quite frankly will scare people off.

CJ1

Jan 11, 2011
Smart casual is the way to go, or just a step above your normal smart attire. Better yet, before the interview check out how people at the workplace (where you are going for the interview) are dressed, then dress up accordingly. CJ1

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do help people prepare for interviews and the rule of thumb is to dress one level above the everyday dress code for that position. There is not one strict rule of what that looks like, because you need to review the level of position, industry, company and location.

For example, if you were applying for a job as a shipper/receiver, a suit would be very over dressed, however a pair of casual slacks and a golf shirt, or dress shirt with no tie, would be fine.

If you were applying for a job at a bank in a major city, the casual slacks and golf shirt would be very under dressed.

So assess each position carefully. You can absolutely under and over dress for an interview - I've seen it happen multiple times, so do your homework. If ever in doubt, ask the agency, or HR person before your interview, what the normal dress code is for their office - never assume.

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One additional point to keep in mind is that you have to be very careful about perfumes/colognes and any other scents etc. In some cultures it is normal to wear a lot of perfume or cologne- but in Canada, less is more!! Please, please wear very, very little to no perfume, or cologne. As an interviewer it is terrible when I'm in a room 1/2 the day interviewing and a persons perfume comes into the room before they do. We all become desensitized to the scent and the strength of the perfume -- you won't realize how strong, it is.

Also be careful what you eat prior to the interview -- avoid any foods that have strong scents like garlic, curry etc. And if you smoke be VERY aware of how strong the smoke smell may linger to your clothes and hair. Smoking has become less and less popular in Canada compared to other parts of the world, and there are many restrictions on where you can smoke in public areas. I appreciate for those who smoke that it can help reduce stress, but be very careful you don't smell like a cigarette prior to your interview - it's a major turn-off as an interviewer.

Also be very careful about anything that is too distracting eg) excessive jewelry, for women - excessive make-up etc.

You want the focus to be on you and what you're saying, vs what you're wearing.

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
Than you everyone for the advice, very helpful indeed.

I have a phone interview tomorrow with Staples Call Center for a
Customer Service Representative job, any tips you guys can give me for doing a phone interview? I hope I don't get nervous because when I do, I start to stammer. It would be a disaster if that happens I guess, so any advice you can give would be great!

Have a nice day all! :)

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
Remember the phone itself is an obstacle -- they can't see you and your expressions, body language etc. So purposefully slow down your speech and over enunciate everything very clearly.

If you are unclear about a question, ask for clarification - don't just go answering too quickly, thinking you understand -- because if you're wrong the interviewer will think "he doesn't listen to the question."

Take the phone interview as seriously as it is a face-to-face.

As you begin, ask the interviewer to review the job requirements to ensure nothing has changed since you initially applied, OR ask them if anything has changed about the role since you initially applied. And also get an approximation on how long the telephone interview will be so you can guage when to ask your questions.

Before you finish the call ask the interviewer -- What are the next steps? and What are their timelines for hiring? Too many people assume they know what they are -- ASK - and get confirmation! The process is often A LOT longer then most people imagine.

Also ask, if based on your discussion do they see any problems with you progressing to the next interview stage. If they say yes, don't be defensive, be professional and ask for feedback. It may be a specific skills you are lacking, or it may be something you do have, BUT you didn't mention it, because you 'assumed' it wasn't needed, or that you explained it in your resume already.

Hope that helps - Good luck!!

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
Thank you for the tips once again everyone! Unfortunately, I had to back out of the Staples Call Center job because of the work schedule, there's no daycare open 'til 10pm and my husband's work hours will be the same as mine if ever... Just one of the dilemma that moms have when applying for jobs...

I do have another interview for Office Assistant, are slacks and a twin set top (long sleeved cardigan with tank top under, high heels and tweed jacket appropriate? The company is categorized under light industry and located in a warehouse district... Hoping for some feedback :)

P.S. Sorry for sounding superficial and worrying about clothes and all, but I worked in HR so I am confident about being interviewed. I guess my being obssessive compulsive is taking over that's why I worry about the superficial stuff...

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
It sounds appropriate interview wear for your target industry/position. Good luck!

Your correct that appropriate interview attire is very important -- unfortuantely about 55% of first impressions are made on 'what we see' and how you dress is part of that first impression. Once an impression is made its sometimes impossible to turn someones opinion around.