+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Job, Canadian Experience

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same question as above for Accommodation... but for Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Any suggestrions would be much appreciated!

TIA
Fredricton is a totally different situation. Housing is much more affordable. You should be able to get an Air BnB for a decent price and finding an affordable place to live will be much easier. Always a trade-off. The economy isn’t as strong in the Maritimes.

NzKhn

May 1, 2018
New Brunswick
LANDED..........
17-06-2019
Fredricton is a totally different situation. Housing is much more affordable. You should be able to get an Air BnB for a decent price and finding an affordable place to live will be much easier. Always a trade-off. The economy isn’t as strong in the Maritimes.

Thanks! @canuck78

I've looked at a few AirBnb's in Fredericton - we just need something temporary for a couple weeks max - until we can rent an apartment. Just not sure if we should book the Airbnb before we land. Definitely DON'T want to rent a place without looking at it in person - especially if we have to take a one year lease. That, and buying a decently priced second-hand car as soon as possible....

Both hubby and I are in IT so we are hopeful in finding jobs pretty quickly, especially since I see a lot of IT and IT related companies have moved to NB or opened their near shore offices there.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks! @canuck78

I've looked at a few AirBnb's in Fredericton - we just need something temporary for a couple weeks max - until we can rent an apartment. Just not sure if we should book the Airbnb before we land. Definitely DON'T want to rent a place without looking at it in person - especially if we have to take a one year lease. That, and buying a decently priced second-hand car as soon as possible....

Both hubby and I are in IT so we are hopeful in finding jobs pretty quickly, especially since I see a lot of IT and IT related companies have moved to NB or opened their near shore offices there.
If you're really leery about an AirBnb, get a regular hotel for a week or two. AirBnb is generally OK, but of course there can be issues and you don't want to be in a new country with nowhere to stay.

NzKhn

May 1, 2018
New Brunswick
LANDED..........
17-06-2019
If you're really leery about an AirBnb, get a regular hotel for a week or two. AirBnb is generally OK, but of course there can be issues and you don't want to be in a new country with nowhere to stay.

Might just do that... and need to make a decision soon because we will be landing in about 6 weeks :rolleyes:

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Finding an affordable rental for 3-6 months will be tough to find. The majority of rentals in Canada are unfurnished and want a 1 year lease. If you are worried about money running out you need to save more. The whole GTA is expensive. You may be able to find a basement apartment. Also renting apartments is difficult without a job so you often need to show more savings. I hear that some immigrant communities are less stringent when it comes to renting to their own community members who are new immigrants. There are many who also take advantage of newcomers in their community and charge higher than average rent. GTA is expensive but KW is not inexpensive. Air BnB is really the best way unless you want to stay in a hotel.
I see. Thanks so much for the solid, practical advice! Really appreciate it. ;)

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Only advice which works is ignore all other advices and experiences of random strangers on forums like these and do your own thing. And remove junk like 'strong communication skills' or 'team player' or 'strong leadership qualities' from your resume. Those are a given.