+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Job, Canadian Experience

jayson_mires

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
Prior to moving to Canada, this was one of the things i was most afraid of. After reading numerous articles, posts on this, i was worried. Did i make the right choice? There were so many stories of people leaving good jobs in their own countries to start a new life abroad. And then after coming here their struggles to find employment. Read even accounts of people who had to go back home after failing to make a good life here. But it doesnt have to be like that, if one takes wise and pragmatic steps.

Just thought would share my experience with those are in the position i was a few months ago-prior to my move.

Firstly, no matter what position one has back home, how many years of experience they have, or where they studied, they have to accept the fact they may have to start from scratch in Canada. Unless a person has deep expertise in a specific field like accounting or programming/IT, there is a very high probability they will have to "Re-Start" their careers. This takes getting used to, but the sooner one accepts this-the better. I had my mind made up before i even landed-that i will accept the first decent job that i find (And it took me less than 2 weeks to find a reasonably good job). Important thing is not to delay...as one may eat up the money they bring by waiting for the perfect job. The perfect job wont come so soon...which leads me to the the types of jobs in my own experience and understanding.

I would classify jobs into four categories. Category 1 would be pure survival jobs-McDonalds, Tim Hortons, any restaurant/fast food, delivery, cleaner, construction. These jobs are available all the time-as there is high turnover. Chances are one may not need to go through a formal hiring process-just basic interview. These jobs will pay minimum wage although some close to 20. One can end up making a reasonable amount of money-around 3000 CAD (Before tax) doing such jobs-provided they work the hours. These jobs are hard though with long hours, and many coming from good jobs at home are hesitant about doing these-although it is perfectly fine and respectable in Canada. Category 2 would be retail, customer service, call center, sales related jobs. Again hourly paid, and mostly close to minimum wage; but in such jobs there may be a recruitment process in place which has interviews, online skill assessment etc. Sometimes category 1 pays more than 2.

Category 3 jobs are full time salaried positions. These are not ones dream jobs or in their line of expertise or interest, but nevertheless it is sign of progression. Eg: an accountant starting a job in administration or sth. Category 4 jobs are the type of job one was doing back home, and what people have the desire to do in Canada. These jobs may be in ones career and long term interests. These jobs are hard to come by, and one can only get here after several years of experience, getting results and perhaps enhancing ones resume with some local qualification.

Biggest mistake in my opinion is the fact people aim for Category 4 jobs. In fact some are even finicky about Category 3. There is no harm applying and trying ones luck-again, if they have a very specific skill set and if there is demand for such a profession they can get these type of jobs. But in most other cases it is highly improbable. And while people wait for their dream jobs, they deplete their bank account, and grow incredibly frustrated with life in Canada.

Imo, one should apply for as many jobs as they can once they are here. Its a game of numbers. Perhaps they can start applying for category 2, 3, 4 jobs. There are numerous websites, one can even reach out to headhunters who are very effective (More on this later). It is important that one has a very good resume-in Canada they prefer a one page resume-they like it very concise, neat and organized. If one fails to find a job in any of these categories, they should slowly try going for category 1. And sometimes these jobs require a person to just walk up to a McDonalds etc with a copy of the resume and hand it to the branch managers. The idea is not to waste the money they brought with them, and even while a person works on a job like this-they will gain "Canadian Experience", build contacts/network. And while doing that job they can always apply for other jobs, visit career fairs etc.

There are plenty of jobs available in Canada. One just has to accept the reality-that it cannot be what they had back home-and they need to work their way up again. Another mistake immigrants make is picking the big cities. Although big cities have more jobs, they are also likely to have more competition for jobs. Smaller towns are much easier for newcomers in this aspect.

Which brings me to the last point-"Canadian Experience". Many employers will reject candidates during interviews citing lack of Canadian Experience. Many criticize this aspect of Canadian employers. But after working here, i realize this is necessary. Many immigrants struggle to adjust to the culture here-general culture, and also corporate culture. It takes them time to adapt to the language, understand norms, systems, countries laws/regulations. This is particularly true for those coming from the developing world. Even if one notices how a sales person provides customer service in the mall; it is of another completely different level. So to learn these and adapt it takes time.

80% of the battle here is ones own perception. We are often too worried about what others will think, or regret about the fact that we had such a higher post before. But remember, its a whole new ball game here. One might have been a star performer back home, but here they are small fish in a very big pond. With persistence and sacrifices, one should be able to accomplish their goals in the time to come.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Great suggestion about considering smaller cities. I have suggested the same to others but many refuse to consider communities without an existing religious/cultural community so they can feel comfortable and have access to many of the comforts of home. This usually means Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal. Perhaps a few other cities like for example Windsor who now has a large Syrian community. When I speak to younger Canadians who are looking for jobs I also recommend going where the job is and look throughout Canada.

NzKhn

May 1, 2018
New Brunswick
LANDED..........
17-06-2019
@jayson_mires Thank you for this informative post.

I think a lot of people who immigrate to Canada, like you said, refuse to let go of the mindset and way of life they had back home and that's probably why end up struggling. Yes, it is nice to have an existing religious/cultural community but it does not mean you cannot survive or do well without it.

Places like Vancouver and Toronto have become so saturated with people that it ends up that 100 people are fighting to get that 1 job. When my husband and I started the immigration process to Canada, we were firstly (naturally) also looking to move to BC or Ontario or even Alberta. Luckily we received PNP nomination from New Brunswick, and frankly I am excited to be going there.

I think, being a smaller province, and having smaller cities... NB will be an easier place for us to adjust to and settle into, and I look forward to having a slower, more fulfilling way of life there and getting a job which, while it may not be a high-flying Category 4 job, will be a job that will give my husband and I the work/life balance we want.

jayson_mires

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
I actually havent met anyone from my original country of residence since i moved to Kitchener/Waterloo. It doesnt quite bother me either, as my goal is to integrate.

Besides lower cost of living, i feel it is easier getting jobs in smaller towns. Easier getting around and also adjusting. Many might also say people are friendlier!

heynow

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
I had a job here in Toronto before I laded. So my situation is different from most. However I have seen my wife going though this circus. Heres my 2 cents

1/ Come with enough money to sustain for 12 months. This may be 2-3x more than the official minimum proof of funds amount. This depends on your lifestyle. But be prepared to burn a lot before you earn(hopefully a lot) :) Unless you want to get any job at any wage - IMO this is waste and hurts you in the long run...your mileage may vary.

2/ North American experience matters, this is just an extension of what the OP mentioned. Having US/CA experience is more important than native land experience. There are exception to the rule but be prepared to hit the wall. Wont comment if thats good or bad.. its just reality.

3/ Be realistic about the move. Please do your homework properly. Look carefully for job opportunities before make decision about the move. Big/small cities doesn't matter.

4/ Its NOT true that you have be in a remote location to have good work/life balance. You can have equally good life in the heart of the city.

5/ Hiring cycle can be multi-month process. Big companies, big processes, big timelines... frustrating but another reality.

6/ Cant emphasis #1 enough. Be prepared for a long process.

My wife struggled to get a job for 12 months. She was working for fortune 20 company in our original country. This was really frustrating process. We have a toddler, so she couldnt do *any* job cause it wouldnt make sense to earn less than childcare fees. She had to get a real money earning job. At times we were digging at our savings during this time. Finally she got a job in same field at same level in a fortune 6 company here. So it takes time. We knew that there are marketing jobs here(part of doing our homework), she is CLB 10(all 4) and MBA... so it was just a matter of time she got a job..its just that it was an expensive living for a year for us...

All the best to you.

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Prior to moving to Canada, this was one of the things i was most afraid of. After reading numerous articles, posts on this, i was worried. Did i make the right choice? There were so many stories of people leaving good jobs in their own countries to start a new life abroad. And then after coming here their struggles to find employment. Read even accounts of people who had to go back home after failing to make a good life here. But it doesnt have to be like that, if one takes wise and pragmatic steps.

Just thought would share my experience with those are in the position i was a few months ago-prior to my move.

Firstly, no matter what position one has back home, how many years of experience they have, or where they studied, they have to accept the fact they may have to start from scratch in Canada. Unless a person has deep expertise in a specific field like accounting or programming/IT, there is a very high probability they will have to "Re-Start" their careers. This takes getting used to, but the sooner one accepts this-the better. I had my mind made up before i even landed-that i will accept the first decent job that i find (And it took me less than 2 weeks to find a reasonably good job). Important thing is not to delay...as one may eat up the money they bring by waiting for the perfect job. The perfect job wont come so soon...which leads me to the the types of jobs in my own experience and understanding.

I would classify jobs into four categories. Category 1 would be pure survival jobs-McDonalds, Tim Hortons, any restaurant/fast food, delivery, cleaner, construction. These jobs are available all the time-as there is high turnover. Chances are one may not need to go through a formal hiring process-just basic interview. These jobs will pay minimum wage although some close to 20. One can end up making a reasonable amount of money-around 3000 CAD (Before tax) doing such jobs-provided they work the hours. These jobs are hard though with long hours, and many coming from good jobs at home are hesitant about doing these-although it is perfectly fine and respectable in Canada. Category 2 would be retail, customer service, call center, sales related jobs. Again hourly paid, and mostly close to minimum wage; but in such jobs there may be a recruitment process in place which has interviews, online skill assessment etc. Sometimes category 1 pays more than 2.

Category 3 jobs are full time salaried positions. These are not ones dream jobs or in their line of expertise or interest, but nevertheless it is sign of progression. Eg: an accountant starting a job in administration or sth. Category 4 jobs are the type of job one was doing back home, and what people have the desire to do in Canada. These jobs may be in ones career and long term interests. These jobs are hard to come by, and one can only get here after several years of experience, getting results and perhaps enhancing ones resume with some local qualification.

Biggest mistake in my opinion is the fact people aim for Category 4 jobs. In fact some are even finicky about Category 3. There is no harm applying and trying ones luck-again, if they have a very specific skill set and if there is demand for such a profession they can get these type of jobs. But in most other cases it is highly improbable. And while people wait for their dream jobs, they deplete their bank account, and grow incredibly frustrated with life in Canada.

Imo, one should apply for as many jobs as they can once they are here. Its a game of numbers. Perhaps they can start applying for category 2, 3, 4 jobs. There are numerous websites, one can even reach out to headhunters who are very effective (More on this later). It is important that one has a very good resume-in Canada they prefer a one page resume-they like it very concise, neat and organized. If one fails to find a job in any of these categories, they should slowly try going for category 1. And sometimes these jobs require a person to just walk up to a McDonalds etc with a copy of the resume and hand it to the branch managers. The idea is not to waste the money they brought with them, and even while a person works on a job like this-they will gain "Canadian Experience", build contacts/network. And while doing that job they can always apply for other jobs, visit career fairs etc.

There are plenty of jobs available in Canada. One just has to accept the reality-that it cannot be what they had back home-and they need to work their way up again. Another mistake immigrants make is picking the big cities. Although big cities have more jobs, they are also likely to have more competition for jobs. Smaller towns are much easier for newcomers in this aspect.

Which brings me to the last point-"Canadian Experience". Many employers will reject candidates during interviews citing lack of Canadian Experience. Many criticize this aspect of Canadian employers. But after working here, i realize this is necessary. Many immigrants struggle to adjust to the culture here-general culture, and also corporate culture. It takes them time to adapt to the language, understand norms, systems, countries laws/regulations. This is particularly true for those coming from the developing world. Even if one notices how a sales person provides customer service in the mall; it is of another completely different level. So to learn these and adapt it takes time.

80% of the battle here is ones own perception. We are often too worried about what others will think, or regret about the fact that we had such a higher post before. But remember, its a whole new ball game here. One might have been a star performer back home, but here they are small fish in a very big pond. With persistence and sacrifices, one should be able to accomplish their goals in the time to come.

Good, sound advice. Really helpful, thank you! It will be useful for my husband, who I am sponsoring, and even for myself. I've been out of Canada for so long, and have no work experience in Canada post graduation from uni.

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
I actually havent met anyone from my original country of residence since i moved to Kitchener/Waterloo. It doesnt quite bother me either, as my goal is to integrate.

Besides lower cost of living, i feel it is easier getting jobs in smaller towns. Easier getting around and also adjusting. Many might also say people are friendlier!
My husband and I are interested in settling our family down in KW, a big reason being that Vancouver and Toronto (the two cities where I lived in in Canada) are too expensive now. But my husband is South American (visible minority) and worried about living in a city that's not multicultural enough, and/or not tolerant. Here in England he's had a bad experience in a small town, that made him weary. What's your impression of KW in this regard?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My husband and I are interested in settling our family down in KW, a big reason being that Vancouver and Toronto (the two cities where I lived in in Canada) are too expensive now. But my husband is South American (visible minority) and worried about living in a city that's not multicultural enough, and/or not tolerant. Here in England he's had a bad experience in a small town, that made him weary. What's your impression of KW in this regard?
Are you involved in tech? Is there a reason behind your move to KW? Moving to cities other than Toronto or Vancouver should still have some thought behind it or be viewed as a temporary stop while looking for jobs throughout the country.

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Are you involved in tech? Is there a reason behind your move to KW? Moving to cities other than Toronto or Vancouver should still have some thought behind it or be viewed as a temporary stop while looking for jobs throughout the country.
Thanks for your reply! No, no tech background unfortunately. My husband is a professional painter & decorator (top class in his field, trained in Japan). He hopes to start at his level in Canada, but reality might be different in the beginning, or maybe even long term... who knows. I studied Equity Studies at U of T (not finance, but social justice), and have worked post uni in ESOL teaching and admin. I'm looking to apply to all sorts of jobs, to see what I could land. Hopefully my language skills could help, if I'm lucky (Spanish and Japanese).

I wish for us to move to Toronto, where a lot of jobs are. And I'm familiar with the city. I grew up in Vancouver, and would also love to raise my kids there. BUT all friends and family in both cities tell me the rent is just too high, and vacancy rates so low, that it's best to avoid these cities. The bidding wars scare me. When I lived in both cities it was easy to rent. A few people have recommended KW as nice and affordable. But I really know almost nothing. Just what I'm trying to gather from the internet. Any insight would be great. Also, any other cities that are recommended.

Thanks kindly

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
KW is really a tech centre. Every area needs painter/decorators so would imagine he could move to any city as long as it isn't too small. Instead of moving to KW I would be applying all over the country for jobs in somewhat affordable markets. If you have family in Canada you may want to target cities less than 5ish hours away. I would settle where you have a job. Perhaps staying with family if you haven't secured a job before coming to Canada would be best. When you get a job you can then move to the city. It would be hard to rent an apartment without a job but you will likely need to sign a 1 year lease so that will lock you into an area. KW being a university town as well getting an apartment in May or September will be tricky. You will likely be able yo get a sublet from May to September if you are looking for temporary accomodations.

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
KW is really a tech centre. Every area needs painter/decorators so would imagine he could move to any city as long as it isn't too small. Instead of moving to KW I would be applying all over the country for jobs in somewhat affordable markets. If you have family in Canada you may want to target cities less than 5ish hours away. I would settle where you have a job. Perhaps staying with family if you haven't secured a job before coming to Canada would be best. When you get a job you can then move to the city. It would be hard to rent an apartment without a job but you will likely need to sign a 1 year lease so that will lock you into an area. KW being a university town as well getting an apartment in May or September will be tricky. You will likely be able yo get a sublet from May to September if you are looking for temporary accomodations.
This is really awesome advice. Thanks so much. I super appreciate it!

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
After having been on these forums for long and now that I am in Canada, I can tell you one thing - Know how to sell yourself when you prepare that resume. This includes not only tailoring your resume for the job, but more importantly catching the hirer's attention (an awesome covering letter perhaps), and being prepared for when the actual call comes in.

The missus and I both found jobs along with a great condo downtown within 3 weeks of landing in Toronto (Don't tell me that you guys are lucky - it's luck mixed with experience and casting a wide net). Nothing is impossible and not for once has anyone said a word about our lack of Canadian experience here. In fact, people have loved our knowledge in our respective fields (your field will definitely matter; more on that later) and welcomed us with open arms (except for a third-party recruiter who told my wife to take what comes her way, or even driving a taxi, and not to be picky instead of trying to help her; yup from our part of the world), and offered us positions at the same level as what we had in India. The interview process is pretty straightforward. The only catch is that both have contractual jobs, and not full-time (I got 2 job offers - one full-time, and one contractual, but I preferred the contractual one for better pay and I am not seeking 'security' over a great role on my resume). We are sorted for the next 9 months + it gives us the time to think what we want to do next. The few realities that I will echo are:

1. Money is your best friend. It's expensive, so make no mistake about it.
2. Sometimes it can be tough to get an interview. If you get an interview and they reject you for Canadian experience, then it means there is an alternate reality like you did not impress them enough or company compliance dictates that they need to interview 'X' number of candidates before closing the position - essentially, you are collateral damage. It's tough to accept, but that's the reality of the situation. I wanted a position pretty badly, but I was rejected. Asked the VP of the company about it - "sometimes, it isn't about you, but about the quality of the other candidates". The whole hiring process truth depends on what the company is seeking. It can sometimes be 2-3 interviews, sometimes way more than that. In my case, it was the BGC that took longer than the actual interviews themselves.
3. Several different ways of scoring a job - Reach out to the hiring manager directly, get your name in databases, talk to third-party hiring managers, apply directly on website, etc. There is no single way that's magic.
4. If your field is a licensed field, there is a reason that it is licensed. Their culture is very different, so you have to learn a lot. Even if it isn't, there are realities that you may not be aware of in Canada. It's not racism, but the fact is that you aren't up to scratch.

Good Luck, and Welcome to Canada!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Finding a condo downtown isn’t the issue, it’s the astronomical rent that goes with that condo
In my building downtown , the smallest unit at 498 sq feet goes for $2900/month

Reactions: chelseam

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Finding a condo downtown isn’t the issue, it’s the astronomical rent that goes with that condo
In my building downtown , the smallest unit at 498 sq feet goes for $2900/month
Honestly, and I don't mean this offensively at all, there's a lot of wrong info going around on CV. I just got a condo here in DT in the Regent Park area for 2k a month. The size of the condo is a bit more than 550 sq ft with a stunning view of Lake Ontario and the CN Tower. I passed up on an opportunity to get a condo at Shuter (same size almost) for CAD 1975. A friend of mine is renting a smaller condo (not a studio FYI) at Dundas (very close to Eaton) for CAD 1730.

Reactions: chelseam

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
Having said that, for everyone reading this, please come to Toronto and find out on your own. The truth, in this case, is best experienced outside an Internet forum.

Reactions: amgose and chelseam