+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Job, Canadian Experience

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
After having been on these forums for long and now that I am in Canada, I can tell you one thing - Know how to sell yourself when you prepare that resume. This includes not only tailoring your resume for the job, but more importantly catching the hirer's attention (an awesome covering letter perhaps), and being prepared for when the actual call comes in.

The missus and I both found jobs along with a great condo downtown within 3 weeks of landing in Toronto (Don't tell me that you guys are lucky - it's luck mixed with experience and casting a wide net). Nothing is impossible and not for once has anyone said a word about our lack of Canadian experience here. In fact, people have loved our knowledge in our respective fields (your field will definitely matter; more on that later) and welcomed us with open arms (except for a third-party recruiter who told my wife to take what comes her way, or even driving a taxi, and not to be picky instead of trying to help her; yup from our part of the world), and offered us positions at the same level as what we had in India. The interview process is pretty straightforward. The only catch is that both have contractual jobs, and not full-time (I got 2 job offers - one full-time, and one contractual, but I preferred the contractual one for better pay and I am not seeking 'security' over a great role on my resume). We are sorted for the next 9 months + it gives us the time to think what we want to do next. The few realities that I will echo are:

1. Money is your best friend. It's expensive, so make no mistake about it.
2. Sometimes it can be tough to get an interview. If you get an interview and they reject you for Canadian experience, then it means there is an alternate reality like you did not impress them enough or company compliance dictates that they need to interview 'X' number of candidates before closing the position - essentially, you are collateral damage. It's tough to accept, but that's the reality of the situation. I wanted a position pretty badly, but I was rejected. Asked the VP of the company about it - "sometimes, it isn't about you, but about the quality of the other candidates". The whole hiring process truth depends on what the company is seeking. It can sometimes be 2-3 interviews, sometimes way more than that. In my case, it was the BGC that took longer than the actual interviews themselves.
3. Several different ways of scoring a job - Reach out to the hiring manager directly, get your name in databases, talk to third-party hiring managers, apply directly on website, etc. There is no single way that's magic.
4. If your field is a licensed field, there is a reason that it is licensed. Their culture is very different, so you have to learn a lot. Even if it isn't, there are realities that you may not be aware of in Canada. It's not racism, but the fact is that you aren't up to scratch.

Good Luck, and Welcome to Canada!
Thanks so much for the advice and info!
Indeed, money is an issue, especially b/c we have two young kids, and can't risk running out of money before we're settled and working.
Both hubby and I dread the interview process, lol. But I love hearing inspiring and positive experiences, such as yours!

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Honestly, and I don't mean this offensively at all, there's a lot of wrong info going around on CV. I just got a condo here in DT in the Regent Park area for 2k a month. The size of the condo is a bit more than 550 sq ft with a stunning view of Lake Ontario and the CN Tower. I passed up on an opportunity to get a condo at Shuter (same size almost) for CAD 1975. A friend of mine is renting a smaller condo (not a studio FYI) at Dundas (very close to Eaton) for CAD 1730.
I'm really surprised at this. In uni days I volunteered in the elementary school in Regent Park (2000-2001). At that time it was a really run down area, and def no condos. I bet all of Toronto has changed a lot. Vancouver too, so I hear. Even though I'm from Canada, I feel like I'm moving to a new country, lol. And I haven't had the chance to visit for over a decade. So I'm researching just like everyone else. :)

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
I'm really surprised at this. In uni days I volunteered in the elementary school in Regent Park (2000-2001). At that time it was a really run down area, and def no condos. I bet all of Toronto has changed a lot. Vancouver too, so I hear. Even though I'm from Canada, I feel like I'm moving to a new country, lol. And I haven't had the chance to visit for over a decade. So I'm researching just like everyone else. :)
Regent Park has transformed entirely from what I hear. You can see the rough edges of course but for the most part it has become fancy and is continuing to transform under Daniels Corporation.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Honestly, and I don't mean this offensively at all, there's a lot of wrong info going around on CV. I just got a condo here in DT in the Regent Park area for 2k a month. The size of the condo is a bit more than 550 sq ft with a stunning view of Lake Ontario and the CN Tower. I passed up on an opportunity to get a condo at Shuter (same size almost) for CAD 1975. A friend of mine is renting a smaller condo (not a studio FYI) at Dundas (very close to Eaton) for CAD 1730.
What’s your point ? I said in my building , that’s the going rate, and they rent at that rate And I’m well aware where Regent Park is located and the other locations since I’ve lived in TO for 30 years, I’m aware of the history, past and present
And the possibility of erroneous information being posted on CV
Regent park is still rated as one of the most dangerous in the city, here’s a link with statistics

https://www.narcity.com/amp/toronto-neighbourhoods-ranked-by-how-dangerous-they-are-right-now-based-on-2018-crime-rates
But I’m sure it’s transforming

Last edited:

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
What’s your point ? I said in my building , that’s the going rate, and they rent at that rate And I’m well aware where Regent Park is located and the other locations since I’ve lived in TO for 30 years, I’m aware of the history, past and present
And I’m well aware of erroneous information posted on CV
Regent park is still rated as one of the most dangerous in the city, here’s a link with statistics

https://www.narcity.com/amp/toronto-neighbourhoods-ranked-by-how-dangerous-they-are-right-now-based-on-2018-crime-rates
But I’m sure it’s transforming
Good luck with the negativity and dissuading people from moving into your neck of the woods!

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to create conflict here. It is an important discussion though. I really appreciate all the info and opinions. One thing's for sure, I think we can all agree that rent in Toronto and Vancouver in general has skyrocketed and is too high.

Can you all believe that a couple of decades ago, I rented a studio apartment on Spadina near Bloor for $700? And I literally just walked into the management office (me, a student with financing uncertainties) and rented it like nothing? No credit check, no references, no financial proof, nada. I could have easily given them the first two, but was never asked. And can y'all believe that prior to that I had done the same in Vancouver. A studio apartment just off of Robson St, for $650. And, brace yourselves.... A two bedroom apartment on Beach Ave. Yes, alongside the BEACH. With spectacular views of English Bay, Burrard Inlet, islands in the distance, UBC peninsula, etc. For $1100!!! Excuse me while I cry, realizing that those days are over.

But this issue can't hold me back from returning to Canada. I've lived in a variety of countries since then, and am ready to call Canada home, hopefully Ontario. But because this time around I have a family dependent on me, things are very different. I'm scared. I have to plan well.

So I just love this forum so much, and all you amazing people who are here sharing your knowledge and thoughts with all of us! :);)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to create conflict here. It is an important discussion though. I really appreciate all the info and opinions. One thing's for sure, I think we can all agree that rent in Toronto and Vancouver in general has skyrocketed and is too high.

Can you all believe that a couple of decades ago, I rented a studio apartment on Spadina near Bloor for $700? And I literally just walked into the management office (me, a student with financing uncertainties) and rented it like nothing? No credit check, no references, no financial proof, nada. I could have easily given them the first two, but was never asked. And can y'all believe that prior to that I had done the same in Vancouver. A studio apartment just off of Robson St, for $650. And, brace yourselves.... A two bedroom apartment on Beach Ave. Yes, alongside the BEACH. With spectacular views of English Bay, Burrard Inlet, islands in the distance, UBC peninsula, etc. For $1100!!! Excuse me while I cry, realizing that those days are over.

But this issue can't hold me back from returning to Canada. I've lived in a variety of countries since then, and am ready to call Canada home, hopefully Ontario. But because this time around I have a family dependent on me, things are very different. I'm scared. I have to plan well.

So I just love this forum so much, and all you amazing people who are here sharing your knowledge and thoughts with all of us! :);)
But couple decades ago, that same Beach Ave two bedroom apartment worth probably just a quarter of what is worth now. Yes, you should cry to have not bought it at that time.

However if you compare to other world cities such as New York and Hong Kong, the rent / cost in Toronto and Vancouver is not so high.

Last edited:

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
But couple decades ago, that same Beach Ave two bedroom apartment worth probably just a quarter of what is worth now. Yes, you should cry to have not bought it at that time.

However if you compare to other world cities such as New York and Hong Kong, the rent / cost in Toronto and Vancouver is not so high.
It was a rental apartment building. But I do totally regret not buying a condo back then.

True. London as well. Even Lima. An condo in a decent area is more than Van or Toronto.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016

did you compare the salaries as well or only housing ?

check expats costs: Toronto ranks higher than New-york ....while salaries are half of NY

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/05/these-are-the-most-expensive-cities-in-the-world/

Last edited:

jayson_mires

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
My husband and I are interested in settling our family down in KW, a big reason being that Vancouver and Toronto (the two cities where I lived in in Canada) are too expensive now. But my husband is South American (visible minority) and worried about living in a city that's not multicultural enough, and/or not tolerant. Here in England he's had a bad experience in a small town, that made him weary. What's your impression of KW in this regard?
Sorry for late reply on this. I am loving KW so far. Nothing is too far away, commute times are less, not much traffic/not busy. Real estate costs cheaper than Toronto and GTA.
It may not be as multicultural as other cities. And in fact the multi cultural aspect that is there could be contributed by the student population! But in general people are friendly.
Bigger concern i would say is finding the right line of work. Pretty clear there are three major employers in KW-tech, insurance and education (Laurier, Waterloo, Connestoga College). Lots of sales, retail related jobs as well.

Reactions: chelseam

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Sorry for late reply on this. I am loving KW so far. Nothing is too far away, commute times are less, not much traffic/not busy. Real estate costs cheaper than Toronto and GTA.
It may not be as multicultural as other cities. And in fact the multi cultural aspect that is there could be contributed by the student population! But in general people are friendly.
Bigger concern i would say is finding the right line of work. Pretty clear there are three major employers in KW-tech, insurance and education (Laurier, Waterloo, Connestoga College). Lots of sales, retail related jobs as well.
Thank you so much for your reply! Very, very helpful. :)

chelseam

Star Member
May 20, 2018
KW is really a tech centre. Every area needs painter/decorators so would imagine he could move to any city as long as it isn't too small. Instead of moving to KW I would be applying all over the country for jobs in somewhat affordable markets. If you have family in Canada you may want to target cities less than 5ish hours away. I would settle where you have a job. Perhaps staying with family if you haven't secured a job before coming to Canada would be best. When you get a job you can then move to the city. It would be hard to rent an apartment without a job but you will likely need to sign a 1 year lease so that will lock you into an area. KW being a university town as well getting an apartment in May or September will be tricky. You will likely be able yo get a sublet from May to September if you are looking for temporary accomodations.
Hi again. So, we are moving to Canada early June. All family and friends are excited we are going, but no one has space to put up/receive a family of 4. So my question is, what's the best option for temporary accommodation? Airbnb is expensive, and we've had a bad experience with it on a holiday in the past (the owner cancelled on us when we were boarding the airplane). But we do need a temporary apartment with a kitchen. The other tricky issue is, we're afraid of money running out, and we want to hit the ground running, so ideally we'd do apartment hunting first and then job hunting. Are there apartments where you can rent for 3 or 6 months? Or is that rare? Re job situation, I see that there are way more painting jobs in Toronto than KW. But everywhere in Toronto seems to be well over 2k for 2 bedroom plus. That's risky for us in the beginning. Is there any affordable, decent, multicultural city commuting distance from TO? Thanks in advance for any info!

NzKhn

May 1, 2018
New Brunswick
LANDED..........
17-06-2019
I have the same question as above for Accommodation... but for Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Any suggestrions would be much appreciated!

TIA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi again. So, we are moving to Canada early June. All family and friends are excited we are going, but no one has space to put up/receive a family of 4. So my question is, what's the best option for temporary accommodation? Airbnb is expensive, and we've had a bad experience with it on a holiday in the past (the owner cancelled on us when we were boarding the airplane). But we do need a temporary apartment with a kitchen. The other tricky issue is, we're afraid of money running out, and we want to hit the ground running, so ideally we'd do apartment hunting first and then job hunting. Are there apartments where you can rent for 3 or 6 months? Or is that rare? Re job situation, I see that there are way more painting jobs in Toronto than KW. But everywhere in Toronto seems to be well over 2k for 2 bedroom plus. That's risky for us in the beginning. Is there any affordable, decent, multicultural city commuting distance from TO? Thanks in advance for any info!
Finding an affordable rental for 3-6 months will be tough to find. The majority of rentals in Canada are unfurnished and want a 1 year lease. If you are worried about money running out you need to save more. The whole GTA is expensive. You may be able to find a basement apartment. Also renting apartments is difficult without a job so you often need to show more savings. I hear that some immigrant communities are less stringent when it comes to renting to their own community members who are new immigrants. There are many who also take advantage of newcomers in their community and charge higher than average rent. GTA is expensive but KW is not inexpensive. Air BnB is really the best way unless you want to stay in a hotel.