+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship Tracking thread?

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
timeline update. My Daughter proof of citizenship. I was naturalized around 10 years ago.

Application received in embassy: 28 June 2018
Application received by IRCC: 23 July
AOR: 15 August 2018
IN process - Decision Made: 26 September 2018

Nyguy 2: did your brother receive the certificate he applied for or at least got a decision made?

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
hi
I m a Pr
N my husband a citizen(naturalised)
Baby would be born in India
My question is which would be faster
Applying for citizenship certificate for baby born in India from within Canada or through an embassy in the country in which baby is born
I understand that if u apply from embassy it takes 5 plus 3-4 months n if for a minor outside Canada it takes 5 plus 6-8 months
Please advise

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
hi
I m a Pr
N my husband a citizen(naturalised)
Baby would be born in India
My question is which would be faster
Applying for citizenship certificate for baby born in India from within Canada or through an embassy in the country in which baby is born
I understand that if u apply from embassy it takes 5 plus 3-4 months n if for a minor outside Canada it takes 5 plus 6-8 months
Please advise
If you are currently in India with the baby, apply from India through the canadian embassy in India.
They will be able to tell you the exact requirements and what are the documentation required and if any paperwork needs to be legalized in any special way, and do a preliminary check of that documentation before it is sent to IRCC Nova Scotia. If you apply directly to IRCC, they might need to check validity of paperwork with the embassy of the country issuing the birth certificates and this is probably the reason for an extended delay.
Also if all your documentation is correct and the case is simple such as child of naturalized citizen with all valid documents, processing might be as little as 2 months. Furthermore, in general it is taking around one month to send application from embassy to IRCC and another month for certificate to get to embassy after approval.
Of course, more complex cases can take up to 5 months and sometimes up to two years.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
If you are currently in India with the baby, apply from India through the canadian embassy in India.
They will be able to tell you the exact requirements and what are the documentation required and if any paperwork needs to be legalized in any special way, and do a preliminary check of that documentation before it is sent to IRCC Nova Scotia. If you apply directly to IRCC, they might need to check validity of paperwork with the embassy of the country issuing the birth certificates and this is probably the reason for an extended delay.
Also if all your documentation is correct and the case is simple such as child of naturalized citizen with all valid documents, processing might be as little as 2 months. Furthermore, in general it is taking around one month to send application from embassy to IRCC and another month for certificate to get to embassy after approval.
Of course, more complex cases can take up to 5 months and sometimes up to two years.
Thankyou so much for ur reply!
Whats the limited validity document?
Does it permit travel without the canadian citizenship certificate?

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Thankyou so much for ur reply!
Whats the limited validity document?
Does it permit travel without the canadian citizenship certificate?
The citizenship certificate does not have anything to do with travel. After receiving the certificate, you can apply for passport to be able to travel. If there is an emergency and you need to travel, you can ask for an emergency passport after you apply for the certificate but before receiving it. Check with the embassy for more info applicable in India.

The limited validity travel document are really last resort and usually applied for by people who would have been refused passports otherwise not just if you Didn't receive your kids certificate yet.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
The citizenship certificate does not have anything to do with travel. After receiving the certificate, you can apply for passport to be able to travel. If there is an emergency and you need to travel, you can ask for an emergency passport after you apply for the certificate but before receiving it. Check with the embassy for more info applicable in India.

The limited validity travel document are really last resort and usually applied for by people who would have been refused passports otherwise not just if you Didn't receive your kids certificate yet.
Hii!!
As fat as i read canadian citizens esp children below 2 years can apply for limited validity travel document
Lot of people on forum are talking about this
If thr citizenship certificate doesn’t arrive in 3-4 months then i can apply for limited travel doc!
What do u advise!
Any help would be appreciated!

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Hii!!
As fat as i read canadian citizens esp children below 2 years can apply for limited validity travel document
Lot of people on forum are talking about this
If thr citizenship certificate doesn’t arrive in 3-4 months then i can apply for limited travel doc!
What do u advise!
Any help would be appreciated!
You can apply for a passport after you apply for citizenship certificate but before you receive it if you meet certain conditions, usually urgency to travel and already booked tickets, but your best bet is to contact your embassy.
There might be other alternatives for you

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Final update:

Application received in embassy: 28 June 2018
Application received by IRCC: 23 July
AOR: 15 August 2018
IN process - Decision Made: 26 September 2018
Certificate received in embassy: 18 October 2018

cantthinkofaname

Star Member
May 18, 2018
Hi there.

I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I'm a Canadian by birth married to a Filipina. We have a son and I applied for his proof of citizenship just under two months ago through the embassy in Manila.

I received an email saying IRCC has received the application and that it will be reviewed.

I now have a UCI and Application Number. I tried to check the status online but it doesn't find anything.

Is there a time gap between getting these numbers and them being searchable online?

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Is there a time gap between getting these numbers and them being searchable online?
Yes, usually you need to wait around one day after getting the mail before being able to check status. Note that you will need around 2 months still before receiving the citizenship certificate if the case is straightforward.

gabi89

Oct 23, 2018
Hey there,

Has anyone applied for proof of citizenship through the Canadian embassy close to Amsterdam?

I’m asking because my boyfriend just went there today to submit his application and they told him that the timeline is over 1 year which we were pretty disappointed as it was not what we researched, especially with his case being fairly straightforward.

My boyfriend is Dutch and his dad is Canadian, born in Ontario. We have his dad’s birth certificate card, statement of birth and all required forms/docs to apply.

But 1 year is a lot :( as I live in Canada and we are trying to stay together as soon as possible.

If anyone had a similar scenario applying from outside of Canada & US we would love to hear your experience with having the embassy as the middle man and timelines :)

Thank you!!

Last edited:

chalk4

Jul 20, 2018
I am a Canadian citizen living in the US. I have recently applied for proof of citizenship for my kids. Below is my timeline:
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on August 17, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on September 13, 2018.
  3. We sent your citizenship certificate on October 23, 2018