+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship Tracking thread?

maki22

Jan 6, 2018
It usually takes about 9 months when the application is made outside Canada through embassy, unless you fast track it.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply/urgently.html

Citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship)

5 months ?

View your application status

This processing time tells you how long it took us to process most complete applications, in the past.

Your processing time may vary depending on how many applications we receive.

• Your application may be delayed or returned if it’s not complete.
  • Non-routine applications take longer to process than routine applications.
  • If you live outside Canada and the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add 3 to 4 months to the processing time to account for mailing time.
  • If you are applying on behalf of a minor residing outside Canada and the United States, and you send the application directly to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, add 6 to 8 months to the processing time.
If it’s been longer than the time shown above since you applied, you don’t see an update in your application status, and you are:

Last edited:

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
processing time of 5 months has exceeded. Even it is not changed into "In process". Please reply Iam helpless
I think you can safely try to contact IRCC via the webform link posted in the previous reply and they should give you more information. Chances are your application was sent to program support unit and in that case it can take anything up to 24 months. Try the webform maybe you will receive more information.

Reactions: maki22

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
It usually takes about 9 months when the application is made outside Canada through embassy, unless you fast track it.
I would like to add some information based on posts and timelines in this and other forums and other scattered info and my personal synthesis.

Embassy sends application to Sidney. It can take anything up to 2 months to get there. In my case, it was just a bit under one month.

Processing time starts when the application is received at Sidney.
It is queued there along other applications Sidney processes until the application is prescreened for all requirements and entered on their digital system. That's when we receive AOR.

The application still waits for in the queue, until its turn to start processing. At which time it gets sorted based on complexity of checks to be done.
Children of naturalized citizens who are on digital systems of IRCC are the easiest to check.
Then people with recent birth certificates that can be double checked easily, then last other routine cases.that require further checks.

Some cases will be non-routine cases and will be sent to the Program Support Unit and those cases will not be finished within the 5 months deadline. It should be marked as such and the applicant notified but it seems it's rarely the case. Ppl only find out after 5 months are up and they call to check the status of their application.

After that the application becomes in process. It can take from 1 day to a couple of months processing depending on the case. (Excluding program support unit cases)

If all is ok, certificate is issued and mailed. If applying from abroad, the certificate is sent to the embassy. This also can take up to 2 months.

Reactions: gabi89 and maki22

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/apply/urgently.html

5 months ?

This processing time tells you how long it took us to process most complete applications, in the past.

• If you live outside Canada and the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add 3 to 4 months to the processing time to account for mailing time.
  • If you are applying on behalf of a minor residing outside Canada and the United States, and you send the application directly to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, add 6 to 8 months to the processing time.
If it’s been longer than the time shown above since you applied, you don’t see an update in your application status, and you are:

I know it will take 8 to10 months for outside of canada. Thats not a matter. But, atleast it should have been changed into "IN PROCESS".its been 5months. ??

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018

5 months ?

Did u apply ever for proof of citizenship ??
If, plz tell me ur full timeline ??

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
I know it will take 8 to10 months for outside of canada. Thats not a matter. But, atleast it should have been changed into "IN PROCESS".its been 5months. ??
Yes it should have. I dont want to bearer of bad news but your application might have been sent to program support unit and might take up to 2 years.
However, you should contact CIC using this link: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx
They should reply to you as your application was received more than 5 months ago and should give you more accurate information than my guess here.

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
I would like to add some information based on posts and timelines in this and other forums and other scattered info and my personal synthesis.

Embassy sends application to Sidney. It can take anything up to 2 months to get there. In my case, it was just a bit under one month.

Processing time starts when the application is received at Sidney.
It is queued there along other applications Sidney processes until the application is prescreened for all requirements and entered on their digital system. That's when we receive AOR.

The application still waits for in the queue, until its turn to start processing. At which time it gets sorted based on complexity of checks to be done.
Children of naturalized citizens who are on digital systems of IRCC are the easiest to check.
Then people with recent birth certificates that can be double checked easily, then last other routine cases.that require further checks.

Some cases will be non-routine cases and will be sent to the Program Support Unit and those cases will not be finished within the 5 months deadline. It should be marked as such and the applicant notified but it seems it's rarely the case. Ppl only find out after 5 months are up and they call to check the status of their application.

After that the application becomes in process. It can take from 1 day to a couple of months processing depending on the case. (Excluding program support unit cases)

If all is ok, certificate is issued and mailed. If applying from abroad, the certificate is sent to the embassy. This also can take up to 2 months.
Thank you so much for replying and golden information.
I know about Program Support Unit. Thats why I already Sent Webform on 4 days ago. Still waiting for reply from them.
Did u ever apply for proof of citizenship ??
If you had applied !!
Pls share your timeline here !!

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Thank you so much for replying and golden information.
I know about Program Support Unit. Thats why I already Sent Webform on 4 days ago. Still waiting for reply from them.
Did u ever apply for proof of citizenship ??
If you had applied !!
Pls share your timeline here !!
Yes I applied for my daughter. Timeline on previous page in this thread.
They should reply within 10 business days on your webform inquiry

nyguy2

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
USA
Here is my timeline. I applied for my newborn daughter's proof of citizenship from outside Canada.

Application received in embassy: 28 June.
Application received by IRCC: 23 July
AOR: 15 August

Still waiting for application to become in process. Timelines for proof of citizenship are rather scarce, but I believe that it should become in process around next week hopefully, as it seems IRCC is currently starting to process applications received up to mid-july based on Grant of citizenship timelines on this post. (The timeline is very different once it starts processing, but I believe it can be a good reference to estimate when the application becomes In process)
Pretty similar for my brother, except he applied from the US (thus no embassy)

Mailed: 5 July 2018 from the US to Sydney NS
Received by IRCC: 12 July 2018
AOR: August 8th, 2018 (19 business days/27 days later)

And no further updates since (28 business days/18 days later).

Reactions: Janjoun

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Pretty similar for my brother, except he applied from the US (thus no embassy)

Mailed: 5 July 2018 from the US to Sydney NS
Received by IRCC: 12 July 2018
AOR: August 8th, 2018 (19 business days/27 days later)

And no further updates since (28 business days/18 days later).
I hope it becomes In process very soon. I believe it should be this week or early next.

Sep 17, 2018
hello
my application timeline
received application: august 9 2017
sent correspondence acknowledgment : august 17 2017
started processing your application : September 12 2017
until now there hasn't been any update.
someone help me out here i dont know why it has taken this long my status has been" in process" since 12 September 2017

Suhails660

Star Member
Apr 2, 2018
hello
my application timeline
received application: august 9 2017
sent correspondence acknowledgment : august 17 2017
started processing your application : September 12 2017
until now there hasn't been any update.
someone help me out here i dont know why it has taken this long my status has been" in process" since 12 September 2017
What is applicant nationality ??