+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Thank you. Hopefully you'll hear good news on your case soon.
What's your story? First time applying? Inside/Outside Canada?
Hey, its my first time applying; I am currently outside of Canada. I sent my application to the High Commission on 28th October 2019.

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Hey,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences; this indeed helps a lot. I was worried for a bit, but thought there would be no ways my application would be lost as it was sent through a Canadian office (High Commission of Canada). I will contact them middle of April (that would be 5 months since submitting application) if I do not hear anything.

Thanks again for your story. I hope they get to printing your certificate soon... I am hoping after covid19 pandemic ends, things should pick up a bit.
No update since March 12, 2020 even though status is "Decision Made". Has anyone got any response from IRCC since March?

Thank you.

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
I still have not received my Certificate. March 6, 2020...Decision Made and Certificate will be mailed. Updated again on March 19th saying Certificate was mailed to my home address. I've emailed IRCC twice without a response. I really hope this delay is because the envelope was delayed in Sydney and that it's not lost in the mail (with all my personal information inside).

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
The status of my application is currently "Decision Made" since March 12, 2020.

When clicked into the detail, the last update is "We started processing your application on March 12, 2020."

I haven't heard any update since then.

It's weird that the status is "Decision Made" but in the details it doesn't indicate if the certificate has been printed and mailed, and it's still in processing.

I emailed IRCC, and simply was told to wait to be contacted. I contacted the general consulate here, and got the same answer.

Does this happen to anyone? Would be great to hear your experience.

It's horrible to be waiting in the dark.

Thank you all.

Feb 1, 2020
*** Update ***

Still waiting. Over 9 months!

My father who is a U.S. citizen was born in Quebec and did not have a birth certificate. I was able to obtain one using his baptismal certificate and then submitted my own proof of citizenship application to Canada.

Mailed August 8, 2019
Received August 22, 2019
Acknowledged November 6, 2019

Still processing.

kubrickian

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
*** Update ***

Still waiting. Over 9 months!

My father who is a U.S. citizen was born in Quebec and did not have a birth certificate. I was able to obtain one using his baptismal certificate and then submitted my own proof of citizenship application to Canada.

Mailed August 8, 2019
Received August 22, 2019
Acknowledged November 6, 2019

Still processing.
Hello there, may I know if the status is "Application received" or "Processing"? Thanks!

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
This morning I am convinced that the envelope containing my Certificate either hasn't left Sydney (status shows that it was mailed on March 19th) or it was seriously delayed before leaving Sydney.

Only time will tell.

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
ECAS says they sent the certificate on April 3d. It still has not shown up in our mailbox. I see a couple of other people as well as experiencing the same issue.

Reactions: wolkies

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
Whats your timeline
Here is my Timeline:
  • We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 18, 2018.
  • We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 24, 2018.
  • We sent you a letter on November 27, 2018. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  • We sent you a letter on November 28, 2018. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  • We sent you correspondence on March 4, 2020. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  • We sent your citizenship certificate on March 19, 2020 to: <<your home address>> If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.
On February 4, 2019 I was informed that application has been sent to Program Support Unit.
On March 5th I received an email from IRCC stating: "Your file has been approved already and your certificate should be on its way shortly."
On March 6th my status changed to decision made.
On March 19th the "Certificate was mailed" to my NY residence.

I sent in my application somewhere around September 15, 2018. My Mom was born in Glace Bay, NS and raised in Sydney, NS. I have family on both my Mom and my Dad's side in Sydney and the surrounding area. I also own property that has been in my family almost 200 years and it is 30 minutes away from Sydney. I sent in copy of my Mother's birth certificate and other documents as well.

This should have been easy.

Yeah, after waiting 19 months for approval and now 35 days after the certificate was supposedly mailed, I am exasperated!

mnlcva8891

Oct 28, 2018
Here is my Timeline:
  • We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 18, 2018.
  • We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 24, 2018.
  • We sent you a letter on November 27, 2018. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  • We sent you a letter on November 28, 2018. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  • We sent you correspondence on March 4, 2020. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  • We sent your citizenship certificate on March 19, 2020 to: <<your home address>> If your certificate was sent to a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, you will be contacted when it arrives. Mailing times will vary by region and could take up to four months. If we have sent your certificate to the wrong address, please contact us.
On February 4, 2019 I was informed that application has been sent to Program Support Unit.
On March 5th I received an email from IRCC stating: "Your file has been approved already and your certificate should be on its way shortly."
On March 6th my status changed to decision made.
On March 19th the "Certificate was mailed" to my NY residence.

I sent in my application somewhere around September 15, 2018. My Mom was born in Glace Bay, NS and raised in Sydney, NS. I have family on both my Mom and my Dad's side in Sydney and the surrounding area. I also own property that has been in my family almost 200 years and it is 30 minutes away from Sydney. I sent in copy of my Mother's birth certificate and other documents as well.

This should have been easy.

Yeah, after waiting 19 months for approval and now 35 days after the certificate was supposedly mailed, I am exasperated!
Not sure about what's going on with the mail. I've been waiting. I'm gonna send them an email to give them a nudge.

btdt

Apr 27, 2020
Just found this thread today and thought I’d join to post our timeline in case it might help others.

Application received: Early Aug. 2019
AOR: Mid Oct. 2019
Processed: Early Mar. 2020
Certificate sent: Late Mar. 2020
Certificate Received: still waiting

We received the application number by email in Oct. but had never been able to access online status until today. Our status was actually changed from “not found“ to “complete“ during the time I read through the thread. We were not in a hurry so we didn’t contact them during the whole process. Will update once we receive the certificate.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Just found this thread today and thought I’d join to post our timeline in case it might help others.

Application received: Early Aug. 2019
AOR: Mid Oct. 2019
Processed: Early Mar. 2020
Certificate sent: Late Mar. 2020
Certificate Received: still waiting

We received the application number by email in Oct. but had never been able to access online status until today. Our status was actually changed from “not found“ to “complete“ during the time I read through the thread. We were not in a hurry so we didn’t contact them during the whole process. Will update once we receive the certificate.
Your timeline looks really good. Are you applying within Canada or outside Canada? If outside, which Embassy / High Commission did you use?

btdt

Apr 27, 2020
Your timeline looks really good. Are you applying within Canada or outside Canada? If outside, which Embassy / High Commission did you use?
We’re in the US

Looking back, it seemed to be ok. But before we were able to access online status, we were kept in the dark most of the time. It was like we mailed out application In July. It was delivered in early Aug. Nothing until Oct. for email acknowledgement. Then nothing until today. That being said, we’re thankful that it was done within a decent timeline. For those still waiting, just hang in there. Good thing is they are sill processing cases.

Last edited: