+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship timeline

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got a result from my enquiry yesterday.

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Due to the ongoing situation related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), some IRCC offices are currently operating with reduced or critical staff only.

We are working on processing applications as quickly as possible; however, processing times are affected and any disruptions caused by COVID-19 may not be reflected accurately on our website. We will make all the necessary efforts to finalize your application as soon as possible.

Rest assured that you will be informed as soon as a decision is reached or if additional information is needed.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.
Your situation is more complicated than most. You didn’t submit your parent’s original birth certificate you had one created based on baptismal records. Extra checks may need to be done. Perhaps a DNA test. Assume it has been decades since you could have applied so a little longer isn’t a big deal.

singher25

May 12, 2020
Hi,

Just wondering if they are only processing urgent proof of citizenship applications, currently, or are they still working on everyones?

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

Just wondering if they are only processing urgent proof of citizenship applications, currently, or are they still working on everyones?
I have a feeling they are prioritizing urgent applications and the staff responsibile for filing and processing these applications is severely limited (around 1 - 5 people or so)

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
The reply I got... what I found interesting is the "application not being available until processing begins"; does this mean you only get your AOR, or correspondence once your application is being processed (when ecas says "... we have begun processing your application"?)

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided and your application is not available in our system at this time.

When an application is received by IRCC, it can take several weeks before the processing begins. There will be no record in the system until the processing has begun.

• To find out the estimated processing times for applications submitted within Canada:
  • For applications submitted to an overseas visa office:
    • you will be able to access the status of your application through e-CAS once it has been entered into our system and you have received correspondence from the visa office.
    • for applications for permanent residence, this process can take 6 to 8 weeks.
  • If you sent your application by traceable means (express post, courier, registered mail):
    • you may verify the reception date at the office by contacting the postal service provider.
Importantly, since your document was mailed the High Commission of Canada in Pretoria, South Africa, we invite you to contact them directly to obtain more information.

You will find the complete list of Canadian embassies, high commissions and consulates provide services to Canadian citizens outside Canada or the United States who want to:

Once you select the office you want to contact, the system will show you the different ways to communicate with them.

Furthermore, the Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

To obtain the latest information on the situation, we invite you to consult the How the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services page.

We invite you to consult our website regularly. It will be updated as the situation evolves.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
The reply I got... what I found interesting is the "application not being available until processing begins"; does this mean you only get your AOR, or correspondence once your application is being processed (when ecas says "... we have begun processing your application"?)
Yeah. Applications received are placed in a queue to verify that they are completed. Processing begins when IRCC has deemed your application complete per their standards, meaning no missing documents, signatures, with all questions and checkboxes answered; only then will you get your AOR with your UCI. If your application is deemed incomplete, it will be sent back to you for corrections without the creation of an AOR and UCI.

Reactions: Flpeteryan

Dean007

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
My Timeline Guys:
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 10, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 3, 2020.
Waiting since then, Anyone with similar timeline ?
Still waiting :(

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on December 18, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 28, 2019.
  3. We sent you a letter on March 22, 2019. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

but i will wait patiently.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on December 18, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 28, 2019.
  3. We sent you a letter on March 22, 2019. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

but i will wait patiently.
A whole year has passed since their last update. Had you tried contacting the IRCC for the letter they sent you, or the Canadian diplomatic mission you sent your application through? Which country are you applying from (in Canada/ outside Canada)?

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
I applied in Manila Philippines consulate.

Nobody has contacted me. I did not even receive the letter dated march 22 2019 which they said they sent me. :(

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
I sent webform last year around july. They said my application was sent to psu. I also requested for gcms(?) Notes in may of last year. All stated there was that my application was sent to program support and that the embassy suggested dna.

JoelUk

Jan 8, 2020
Still waiting :(
Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 18, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 14, 2020.

Applying as a British Citizen through the New Zealand embassy.

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Hopefully we'll receive updates soon.

When mine was moved to PSU in march 22 2019(as confirmed thru webform and gcms notes), ECAS didnt automatically update to "In process".

ECAS says "Application Received ("AOR") from January 2019 to October 2019.

ECAS updated to "In process" mid october 2019.

No update since. Depending on covid or senior reviewer, mine should be available by december latest.

koeks525

Star Member
Dec 20, 2019
Citizenship
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on October 18, 2019.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on January 14, 2020.

Applying as a British Citizen through the New Zealand embassy.
When did you get this notification (I assume through eCAS or Email)... was it on the same day (14 Jan 2020)