+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Citizenship – Program Support Unit

wolkies

Apr 6, 2019
My application for Proof of Citizenship was AOR in October. I assumed (yeah I know) that it would be real fast to get processed and officially become a dual citizen. My family on both sides come from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia for 200 years but I am applying for citizenship through my mom. There are many reasons why I thought it would be a super quick process.

My Mom was born in the next town over from Sydney and grew up in Sydney. I have an official birth certificate from Nova Scotia that my mom had gotten around 1988. My mom died last year and for as long as I can remember, she lamented over losing her Canadian citizenship. I had no idea that the laws had changed over the years. Sadly I regret not knowing the laws had changed because knowing she "was Canadian" again would have brought her such joy.

I have and sent in copy of my parents original marriage certificate issued in Cape Breton.

I sent in copies of birth certificates and other documents all notarized in New York.

In November 2018 apparently my application went to PSU however I was notified in February 2019 that this occurred.

About 3 weeks ago, I sent a letter to Sydney stating that I did't know why my application went to PSU. With this letter I enclosed copies of my mom's original Canadian Passport (that I just found among her belongings) which showed she was a "Canadian born citizen" and that her name had changed because she had just married my dad. I also enclosed my NYC birth certificate with NYC seal and also copy of an older one that stated that my mom was born in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia.

I am a seasonal resident in Cape Breton and owner of property from my dad's family that has been in the family for almost 200 years. I included a copy of last year's tax bill in with my letter. I was born and raised in NYC and have never lived out of state. I have a clean record and am financially secure.

How my application went to PSU totally boggles my mind. The only thing I can think of is the family name changes from my mom's maiden name to married name and mine from maiden to married name. Or possibly the NYS notarized documents. It is frustrating and yes, I know there are many others with a much longer wait time so I don't want to whine too much here. I am posting this to help keep the PSU conversation going.

Reactions: Rullence

Chutneyforall

May 31, 2019
Hello!

So, if application is sent to PSU the chances are that you've got a long old wait on your hands, can do nothing to speed it along (in reality especially if outside Canada) and it could be a further 6, 12, 24 months...no-one knows...?

June 2018 application made. Second generation descendant of Canadian Officer serving abroad when mother was born outside Canada.

I'll put the kettle on, have a cup of tea and enjoy the birdsong whilst I wait. Maybe more than one cup.

Good luck everyone!

Chutney

Usama1234

May 3, 2019
Hello,
I am applying for a grant citizenship. I figured out that my application was transferred to the PSU because of my country of birth. Since my country of birth is Lebanon, while the information that the IRCC has, states that my country of birth is Syria. I called them and they said that they will send a correction request to correct this mistake. So does anyone knows how long would it take until the PSU gets back to me? Or if my application will be processed faster since they are going to correct this mistake?

Roxy0

Feb 23, 2019
Can anyone help me on getting a better understanding about my application please. I applied last year, I've received my AOR but no further updates
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on May 24, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on July 6, 2018
ThatTh all I have received so far

lms25

Jun 17, 2019
Thanks for this thread - we sent in applications for citizenship papers for first generation children (US born, to Canadian father) in August 2017, 22 months ago. We received confirmation Sept 2017, then nothing. We were visiting Canada recently and were able to call from inside the country; we found out there had been another letter mailed in Sept 2017 referring the applications to the Program Support Unit (we never received that letter). The person on the phone said 24 months, and call them back in September. That was it; they would provide no additional information. So yes it can take almost 24 months, at least in our case.

Roxy0

Feb 23, 2019
Thanks for this thread - we sent in applications for citizenship papers for first generation children (US born, to Canadian father) in August 2017, 22 months ago. We received confirmation Sept 2017, then nothing. We were visiting Canada recently and were able to call from inside the country; we found out there had been another letter mailed in Sept 2017 referring the applications to the Program Support Unit (we never received that letter). The person on the phone said 24 months, and call them back in September. That was it; they would provide no additional information. So yes it can take almost 24 months, at least in our case.
Wow that's crazy

Roxy0

Feb 23, 2019
I didn't get a email or anything, am living outside the us and Canada. So it's hard for me to get any information!

am04

Sep 26, 2017
United States
Update: ecas status changed from "Received" -> "In Process" after 21 months, 15 Days.
  1. We received your application for a citizenship certificate (proof of Canadian citizenship) on September 29, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on October 26, 2017.
  3. We sent you a letter on November 26, 2017. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

Reactions: Rullence

am04

Sep 26, 2017
United States
@Here I have an update, the status has changed to Decision Made, however underlying status still shows bullet points 1-3 as I posted earlier. I am exited and at the same time little nervous!
Let's see.. fingers crossed!

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
@Here I have an update, the status has changed to Decision Made, however underlying status still shows bullet points 1-3 as I posted earlier. I am exited and at the same time little nervous!
Let's see.. fingers crossed!
Congrats!!!!
Im positive that the decision is approved. Otherwise, they cudve contacted u for additional info/docs. Were u the one who asked for gcms notes one time? What was indicated there again. Appreciate if u can share.

am04

Sep 26, 2017
United States
Congrats!!!!
Im positive that the decision is approved. Otherwise, they cudve contacted u for additional info/docs. Were u the one who asked for gcms notes one time? What was indicated there again. Appreciate if u can share.
Thank you!
Yes, I requested gcms notes and it was not helpful. It listed some basic info such as applicant's details, correspondence and a comment indicating the application was referred to PSU for a final review.

Rullence

Star Member
Nov 4, 2018
Thank you!
Yes, I requested gcms notes and it was not helpful. It listed some basic info such as applicant's details, correspondence and a comment indicating the application was referred to PSU for a final review.
At the bottom part, in the comments section, it didnt say something about DNA testing, perhaps?